ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando announcing MLB Expansion campaign

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
surprised by this and I think Orlando is fine with just NBA and MLS but will be interesting to follow if this goes anywhere with any current team(Rays).

I cant see a team in orlando drawing many fans tbh. Florida pro sports struggle in attendance for the most part.

Considering the Ray's should have been in Orlando all along, I hope this can happen. Our bid was better, already had season ticket commitments, and the ballpark financing was in place and largely private. St. Pete got them because of backdoor dealings where they were rumored to threaten legal action over building the Trop on the assurance they would get a MLB team.

Instead of focusing on the Hispanic market to justify a team in Orlando (it's still failed to materialize in Miami almost 30 years later), just focus on the corporations who will buy luxury suites and all of the tourists and convention business. There's a reason Rosen was willing to donate land to the Magic to build a new Arena on I-Drive, and I'm sure he'd be up to help with MLB, as well.

Considering the Ray's should have been in Orlando all along, I hope this can happen. Our bid was better, already had season ticket commitments, and the ballpark financing was in place and largely private. St. Pete got them because of backdoor dealings where they were rumored to threaten legal action over building the Trop on the assurance they would get a MLB team.

Instead of focusing on the Hispanic market to justify a team in Orlando (it's still failed to materialize in Miami almost 30 years later), just focus on the corporations who will buy luxury suites and all of the tourists and convention business. There's a reason Rosen was willing to donate land to the Magic to build a new Arena on I-Drive, and I'm sure he'd be up to help with MLB, as well.
A stadium on I-drive without public transportation would be a (k)nightmare.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I cant see a team in orlando drawing many fans tbh. Florida pro sports struggle in attendance for the most part.
The Magic do fine. The football teams do fine when they are winning. The problem is that nobody is going to sit outside in August to watch baseball in Central FL.

roll out was pretty cringe

if by some miracle it did happen you have to have public transportation(sun rail?) at where it would be built

Reactions: UCFWayne
because baseball has done so well in this state, why not add another failed franchise? but seriously that name was garbage. i assume it was just the name of the initial pitch, but theyd get a real name for the team if they someone got one. either way its an extreme longshot.

I think Orlando would have the best shot at baseball success in Florida. No causeway. More surrounding cities and counties. Cons: Other things to do...Disney and the attractions (if Disney gets involved different story).

The Magic do fine. The football teams do fine when they are winning. The problem is that nobody is going to sit outside in August to watch baseball in Central FL.
Truth. I don't go to Braves games in ATL in the deep summer because it's miserable and I live 6 minutes from the stadium. Whatever dumb thing Orlando will call their team will need a dome. Need to figure out a way to get Disney to build it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT