ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando "neighborhoods"

UCF.Jeremy

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2008
reading about all of the restaurant threads got me thinking of how metro orlando is so diverse. Telling people you're from orlando is easy enough, but it's crazy how different places can be in the metro. Recently I was driving in winter park, lockhart, winter springs, edgewater/college park,dr phillips, williamsburg, downtown and the 436/50 area- I live in seminole near wekiva springs state park. It just boggles my mind of how differently people live (seemingly) all in the same metro area and how we dont usually venture out of our own little gerbil trails. if I were to move to south orlando, it would feel like I was moving out of state

Originally posted by CFTS-Knight:

if I were to move to south orlando, it would feel like I was moving out of the country
Fify

Originally posted by CommuterBob:

Honestly, that sentiment is pretty much how every major metro area is.
Yeah, I know. its funny how (I think) we are all proud of being here in metro orlando and all that it has to offer (especially when we are comparing to that school to the west) but our perspectives are very different.

Also I agree about little Puerto Rico in south orlando- funny story- one of my employees first lived there (436 somewhere just south of colonial) when she moved here from Puerto Rico. After a few months she moved up to apopka in rock springs ridge- if you know the area you know how different these two places are- golf course setting, rolling hills, bigger than average houses- anyway, she moved because in her words, she left Puerto Rico to get away from the crime and dilapidated area she lived in and felt like she wasn't that much better off down there.

East Orlando - Breeders
Winter Park - Lawyers, Judges, Doctors, and other former yuppies over 50.
Colonialtown - Gays, Hipsters, Asians
South Downtown - Lawyer, Judges, Doctors, and young professionals, who don't make enough to live in Winter Park, and breeders who want the best schools...mixed with gays and hipsters.
South Orlando - hispanics, and a lot of Haitians, mostly people working service industry jobs for the tourism industry, but getting paid squat.
Seminole County - Rednecks.
West Downtown - African Americans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT