ADVERTISEMENT

Orlando Sun Sentinel's Top 60 2020 Recruits

KnightofCamelot

Bronze Knight
Jun 24, 2019
The top 60 recruits from Central Florida and we have zero signed/committed to us.

I have been raising the issue of how underwhelming our recruting is. After 2017, we should have taken a leap forward in recruiting and it never happened.

This is on Heup, who is not a good recruiter (imo) and on the staff he has assembled that is devoid of strong Florida recruiters.

We have to start landing some top kids from our area, this needs to become a priority for 2021.

http://interactive.orlandosentinel.com/recruiting/2020/central-florida-super60/

Cameltoe, welcome back. Not too worried about Orlando Sentinels recruiting list. The number 12 kid is going to East Carolina, so he probably didn't qualify for college. The list has a few elite recruits at the top and then it gets less impressive very quickly. I'll let Heup and RS do their thing and if local kids want to play at UCF, and UCF wants them, then cool.

Last edited:
Cameltoe, welcome back. Not to worried about Orlando Sentinels recruiting list. The number 12 kid is going to East Carolina, so he probably didn't qualify for college. The list has a few elite recruits at the top and then it gets less impressive very quickly. I'll let Heup and RS do their thing and if local kids want to play at UCF, and UCF wants them, then cool.

Yeah. Ok. Cool. Huge mistake bringing in Golesh when we should have hired a coach with strong Florida ties, a proven Florida recruiter.

Heup hired someone with zero OC experience but a strong Midwest recruiter. Why? Recruiting is about relationships. Is that so difficult to understand?

At least, hire a young high school coach from our area and make him a graduate assistant. Someone that is respected and has connections with the Central Florida high schools and with the 7v7 coaches.

Meanwhile, you reply about one kid in the list that is not a qualifier. Incredible.

Last edited:
The Orlando Sentinel Central Florida Top 60 has never had elite prospects from top to bottom. A few good ones at the top. By the time you get to the end, it’s players who are FCS or D-2 caliber. Some don’t even wind up playing football at all

The Florida top 100 list is much more impressive. If we were to get 2-3 from that list, that would be on par with years past. The year that we had Josh Reese, Godfrey, etc., was a good year

James Colley (the former Miami and Georgia OC) is an elite Florida recruiter. He would have been perfect for us.

James Colley (the former Miami and Georgia OC) is an elite Florida recruiter. He would have been perfect for us.

Finally offering someone as an alternative, proud to see you make a small leap.

1. Why hasn’t Colley managed to stay on a staff?
2. Why did he step away from Georgia OC become a TE coach at less of a school?
3. Do you know if we reached out and he just said “Nah”?
4. I’m glad we hired golesh as you can tell that he is rising, and ISU is upset to see him go.
5. Look at the tweets from all the schools saying “had a blast.” Many/Most are Florida schools.
6. UCF Junior day had a ton of Florida talent there.
7. Go away chicken little

The top 60 recruits from Central Florida and we have zero signed/committed to us.

I have been raising the issue of how underwhelming our recruting is. After 2017, we should have taken a leap forward in recruiting and it never happened.

This is on Heup, who is not a good recruiter (imo) and on the staff he has assembled that is devoid of strong Florida recruiters.

We have to start landing some top kids from our area, this needs to become a priority for 2021.

http://interactive.orlandosentinel.com/recruiting/2020/central-florida-super60/
I like the idea of recruiting central Florida hard, but as other posters stated, after like #10 or #15, these are not splash recruits. These are "total JAGs" as you like to say. You say Heup is not a good recruiter, but his classes, (of which there have been 3, with one not complete and one finished on a very short timeframe after being hired), are all within like the top 5-7 UCF classes all time. Who do you see on the CF60 list that you think fills a need we did not fill and who we did not offer?

Also on the coaching staff thing, honestly, Florida schools don't have the hardest time recruiting Florida and Georgia from what I've seen. I think when you see somebody on ESPN talk about a recruiter having certain ties to recruit certain areas and expanding talent, it is usually outside that school's footprint, like a Texas coach going to Ohio State, etc. Also, Randy Shannon is a great Florida recruiter and you will see evidence of that this year. Real fans know that Golesh was hired to fix our tight ends problem and expand recruiting in general. He was the most successful recruiting coordinator in the history of Iowa State football, and he was pulling dudes to Aimes, Iowa. We gon be alright lil homie.

Reactions: ahabmw
Yeah. Ok. Cool. Huge mistake bringing in Golesh when we should have hired a coach with strong Florida ties, a proven Florida recruiter.

Heup hired someone with zero OC experience but a strong Midwest recruiter. Why? Recruiting is about relationships. Is that so difficult to understand?

At least, hire a young high school coach from our area and make him a graduate assistant. Someone that is respected and has connections with the Central Florida high schools and with the 7v7 coaches.

Meanwhile, you reply about one kid in the list that is not a qualifier. Incredible.
Yeah, strong florida ties, that's what it takes to win in Florida. Like Tagfart, Strong, Diaz etc..

What you don't want is a dude from out of state with a lot of national experience that knows how to coach X's and O's. Those guys really suck, like Kiffin, Mullen, Heupel, Frost, Davis. It's a total no-brainer, our staff is incompetent and has nowhere near the knowledge of Cameltoe for sure. Just look at the results of teams in Florida, it's so damn obvious.

If and when we get elite recruits they will come with baggage. As of today, the best of the best are not coming to UCF. We just need to find 3 star guys that have good character and need a little building up, and also fit our style and needs. As long as we have top 50 classes and get those type players we are golden...

Reactions: Yaes and ahabmw
Cameltoe, welcome back. Not to worried about Orlando Sentinels recruiting list. The number 12 kid is going to East Carolina, so he probably didn't qualify for college. The list has a few elite recruits at the top and then it gets less impressive very quickly. I'll let Heup and RS do their thing and if local kids want to play at UCF, and UCF wants them, then cool.

The real pressing question is does this twit know that his nickname is female genitalia?

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I grew up in the Orlando area in the 70s and graduated high school in 86. As I recall from youth it seemed my friends who played football had the dream of playing for either FSU or Florida. I think some here place too much emphasis on hiring a guy from Florida like high school kids know or think, hey that dude is from our state and because of that I want to go there.

I think you have to first get a kid to want to go to UCF. Now coaches who have connections does help. Like in many aspects of life it can be who you know not what you know.

I am also a FSU alum and when they hired Norvell, I thought it was a solid hire. I was dumb founded when Taggert was hired. Anyway, I don't think Norvell has a lot of Florida ties but he brings with him a sound coaching resume and he seems very approachable. He will land top state talent in part because of the brand of FSU and not because his tight ends coach is from the Sunshine State.

The UCF brand will grow and build over time especially if we can keep Danny White at the helm. Over time , especially if we can shed the G5 shackle and get into a bigger conference, UCF will land 4 star and 5 star kids because of the brand itself will be perceived better. One way to boost brand perception is to just win. Hiring Golesch appears to be a solid hire and if that leads to winning more games, then maybe some of the local kids who want to go out of town might consider staying home.

One last thing, can you guys not refer to the OP as cameltoe. Y'all are taking something beautiful and wonderful and tarnishing it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hey look! Someone else's opinion matters more than our coaches! Why have we not made someone's random list! Why can't we matter more to the people who don't matter!

That doesn't make sense.
Makes total sense if you believe in rankings. Heup's recruiting rankings over the last two recruitment periods better than any class in which the top 25 teams came from. Actually best in UCF history, except for 2011, (but I know you don't think GOL was a good recruiter) and that class was full of four star stinkers (also a lowly 2 star guy named Breshard Perriman). So, as I have repeated so often, to UCF, stars and rankings don't mean squat. They matter to Bama and Clemson etc., because those 5 star guys are truly the standout athletes. To us, there has been no correlation between recruiting rankings and success

Dang...thought you wouldn't post anyone now that your son played his last game for UCF.

Yeah that new Asst Coach you are jealous about helped reel in a new top QB from AZ.

Geez, why does your team (Miami) suck so bad?

You lost to FIU and then got shutout by LA Tech!! LOL!!!

Dang...thought you wouldn't post anyone now that your son played his last game for UCF.

Yeah that new Asst Coach you are jealous about helped reel in a new top QB from AZ.

Geez, why does your team (Miami) suck so bad?

You lost to FIU and then got shutout by LA Tech!! LOL!!!

I had no idea......is this guy Chee Chee, the DBs dad?

ADVERTISEMENT