ADVERTISEMENT

OT: $6.3 Mil on WiFi?

You've GOT to be kidding me! Must be nice to have enough P5 cash lying around to drop $6.3 MILLION of it on freaking WiFi in your stadium! Imagine what UCF could do for our program with an extra $6.3 million in the bank...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ball-swamp-20180808-story.html#nt=oft03a-1gp3

Keep ponying up the big bucks Bull Gators...the UF UAA will take your money all day smiling ear to ear. I dont' see them doing better than their 4-7 record last year.

Reactions: ProAttitude
We had WiFi back in the Cabana in 2015. Wish they could get that back. It’s the one feature that I have missed as the Wifi and reception are terrible in Spectrum

One thing that I don’t understand is that I have WiFi throughout my house for $60 and hotels all have it. I would think that Wifi in the premium seating areas would be a few hundred bucks. How can the stadium be 6.3 million dollars?

Some cities have WiFi in their downtowns. That can’t be 6.3 million. St Cloud had it

We had WiFi back in the Cabana in 2015. Wish they could get that back. It’s the one feature that I have missed as the Wifi and reception are terrible in Spectrum

One thing that I don’t understand is that I have WiFi throughout my house for $60 and hotels all have it. I would think that Wifi in the premium seating areas would be a few hundred bucks. How can the stadium be 6.3 million dollars?

Some cities have WiFi in their downtowns. That can’t be 6.3 million. St Cloud had it
Swamp is all concrete and WiFi doesn't penetrate well....

Reactions: Mikesi

Too many people in the Cabana killed the WiFi. :mad:

Too many people in the Cabana killed the WiFi. :mad:
Honestly, they probably felt that they needed to put it in the lower cabana or not at all. They should bring it back to the common Cabana areas only at least. You can at least use it while waiting on the beer lines :grimace:

I need my WiFi!!!! It’s ridiculous. I have Spectrum and an account, but can’t get it in Spectrum stadium

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
It was time to do away with their dial up system. Though they probably could have given AT&T a couple hundred a month and took care of it.

Honestly, they probably felt that they needed to put it in the lower cabana or not at all. They should bring it back to the common Cabana areas only at least. You can at least use it while waiting on the beer lines :grimace:

I need my WiFi!!!! It’s ridiculous. I have Spectrum and an account, but can’t get it in Spectrum stadium

First they need to get the TVs upstairs fixed.

Reactions: SQKnight and Mikesi
You've GOT to be kidding me! Must be nice to have enough P5 cash lying around to drop $6.3 MILLION of it on freaking WiFi in your stadium! Imagine what UCF could do for our program with an extra $6.3 million in the bank...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ball-swamp-20180808-story.html#nt=oft03a-1gp3

We upgraded our WiFi when we built our tiki bar. uf proves again that they are just copying us like they did with the indoor practice facility.

But you need to tighten up your posts. You sound envious of a 6-6 crap team

I’m assuming since the stadium is older they have to wire everything and bury the cables etc. Not just plugging in 400 routers and voila it works. I’m also assuming it will be more than just access for fans phones and such. Probably going to be for the teams and maybe scoreboard to have some functions where WiFi could be useful. I’m not in that industry but I’m sure it could get expensive. Some locker rooms have touch screen computers for players to analyze film. That could be a part of it.

It's basically increased wi Fi for much of the Univ.

Since the Stadium is in the heart of campus, this new expanded system isn't just for 7 Saturdays a year.

Problem with Spectrum Stadium is that it's on the furthest edge of campus...so not really any need for wi Fi outside of the 7 Game Days per year.

We upgraded our WiFi when we built our tiki bar. uf proves again that they are just copying us like they did with the indoor practice facility.

But you need to tighten up your posts. You sound envious of a 6-6 crap team
lol— Not at all. Even though I actually do have a degree from UF, I am quite the proud Gator Hater.

WiFi at the Swamp would be great. You get 80k+ folks in there and you can't even make a phone call, let alone keep up with all the other games going on.

Reactions: bluechip12

Could be very expensive due to 1) requires a complex mesh network to provide high bandwidth and coverage across the entire wifi zone rather than a simple hot spot type implementation, 2) must be able to deal with the outdoor environment in terms of weather/temperature, and probably the biggest cost driver is that 3) Wifi requires an internet service provider and providing internet access to that many devices could be extremely costly. Typically in towns where this is done there is some sort of cost benefit to the sponsoring provider or a sponsoring subsidy to cover/offset the costs.....the bottom line is not only capital expenses for the infrastructure but also recurring operational expenses

Last edited:
Could be very expensive due to 1) requires a complex mesh network to provide high bandwidth and coverage across the entire wifi zone rather than a simple hot spot type implementation, 2) must be able to deal with the outdoor environment in terms of weather/temperature, and probably the biggest cost driver is that 3) Wifi requires an internet service provider and providing internet access to that many devices could be extremely costly. Typically in towns where this is done there is some sort of cost benefit to the sponsoring provider or a sponsoring subsidy to cover/offset the costs.....the bottom line is not only capital expenses for the infrastructure but also recurring operational expenses
Thanks for that detailed/in-depth answer!

Reactions: JAFFX2
I've actually had pretty good luck with T-mobile, depending, although it did drop off some last year. It was good enough to listen to Marc over iHeart Radio over many years.

It's probably because I bought a LTE Band 2/4 phone when it first became available. And I have Band 66 support now, with additional frequencies over Band 4 (AWS-3 proto, versus older AWS-1 aggregation -- and that's a mega-oversimplification).

I.e., most people on T-mobile are either buying iPhones with older frequency support, or lower-costing Android phones.

Oh boy, where do I begin ... stepping back, let's first look at cell v. WiFi ...
  • Broadband v. (virtually, datalink-wise, it's not quite) Baseband
    • The former approaches spectrum partitioning for lots of devices
    • The latter approaches spectrum access for more throughput and less devices
  • X (code, frequency, power, space, time, etc...) division multiple access (xDMA) v. carrier-sense multiple access (don't get me started -- usually a variant of FDMA is used for LTE)
    • The former is partitioned/staged/etc... (in respective frequency, time, etc...) for scalability
    • The latter is more "I expect the carrier to be available when I want it"
    • E.g., "Collisions" are expected in the latter as multiple accesses literally negate communication during that time period
      • IEEE 802.11 (Wireless LAN aka WiFi) using CSMA/CA -- collision avoidance (CA)
      • IEEE 802.3 (Wired Ethernet) is CSMA/CD -- collision detection (CD) and even worse
        • The latter has been mitigated by switching, removing the need for now defunct demand-priority like 802.12 VGAnyLAN
        • The former still has issues once subscribers reach a certain number, and there is a limit to the number of Access Points (APs) one can add, spectrum-wise
  • Cell relay (small 56B cells, response-sensitive) v. frame relay (large 2,304B frames, throughput-centric)
    • The former is designed for lots of subscribers just getting basic access
    • The latter is really kills everything at the data-link -- aka, "just above the physical media access" -- layer, where actual processing goes on

WiFi in downtowns also don't have the sheer "density" of a stadium or other solution. When they do, they really get hammered. Most also don't work very well either with today's density and everyone having WiFi. Luckily cell and '[sorta-]unlimited' data plans have become more numerous with more towers.

I'm really now interested in how Ben Griffin Stadium solved many of the issues with 802.11 on the scale of >1 person per square meter, or if it's far more limited.

EDIT: 1,100 APs, that's $6K/unit, which will be typical, as most commercial APs are easily $600-1,200/unit, and then you have the backend control (easily doubles the APs cost), survey, cabling, power (even if PoE is used, there are local distribution), any shielding and other control, especially post-installation survey and retrofitting.

That seems quite fair. Understand these are not your $60 home units.
E.g., AP-Router pricing for SOHO use is 1/10th the price, and purposely so, given the microcontrollers (uC) involved -- and that includes why the IEEE went with RC4 (like most early SSL) as the cipher for WEP in the first place (late '90s), just as Rinjadel aka AES was standardized and then used in WPA (required in WPA2, instead of WPA/TKIP which just rotates RC4).

I.e., Brian Mathews at Intersil (fka Harris Semiconductor) was involved with the original Prism design, including end-consumer devices, and his brother Mark Mathews (on a dare) developed the first Linux driver kit that made up the base of every, little first-generation Broadcom et al. variant from D-Link to Linksys, in the late '90s through the '00s.

A "high-end" unit back then was a 25MHz Power[PC] for AP, with a way less powerful ARM for end-unit. I remember the first 3-chip ARM uC + Radio + MAC in 2001 design, just for the 'CardBus' card.

That genius to target the pricepoints involved was brilliant, and made it mainstream, when people were still questioning things (especially when it was only 2Mbps).

Last edited:
Could be very expensive due to 1) requires a complex mesh network to provide high bandwidth and coverage across the entire wifi zone rather than a simple hot spot type implementation
Although by "Mesh" you mean just using standard 802.11ac (w/fallback to 802.11a/b/g/n) devices. These days it can be done completely in software at transport (Layer-4) userspace level, no longer in the datalink (Layer-2, hardware + kernel).

It's is really a software cost, not so much hardware -- although one still needs commercial APs and related capabilities ($600-1,200 AP devices).

I forgot his handle here, but @fabknight also knows Jim (won't mention his last name), who spent time out at MeshNetworks developing one of the early, pre-802.11s implements at the datalink (with some rather 'aggressive' use of 2.4GHz).

That level of solution, which used but wasn't compatible with 802.11b, is no longer required. It's what we used to provide communications to the Coast Guard for Katrina, as well as during the Florida hurricanes (on a smaller scale) prior, using satellite uplink (so we were extremely limited on bandwidth, had to develop apps that used SCTP/RTP and similar, etc...).

2) must be able to deal with the outdoor environment in terms of weather/temperature, and probably the biggest cost driver is that
Nah. Not only are IP66/67 aka NEMA 4X/6 enclosures and designs cheap, but most commercial APs are already rated as such, at least IP66 / NEMA 4X.

3) Wifi requires an internet service provider and providing internet access to that many devices could be extremely costly.
This is an added cost too, although is mitigated for 'sports venues' in either 1 of 2 ways ...
  • If the avenue is on a site that already requires high-bandwidth (e.g., university), it's actually used off-peak/non-business already, and paid by other means, or ...
  • If the avenue is not on a site that already required high-bandwidth, it's typically purchased as 'metered,' and only paid for when in use
Now, in a case a city, I agree. But not a sports venue.
Typically in towns where this is done there is some sort of cost benefit to the sponsoring provider or a sponsoring subsidy to cover/offset the costs.....the bottom line is not only capital expenses for the infrastructure but also recurring operational expenses
Yes, in the case of a sports venue, although possibly a city where they are already an infrastructure provider, and it's a 'loss leader' or required in their utility agreements.

Although by "Mesh" you mean just using standard 802.11ac (w/fallback to 802.11a/b/g/n) devices. These days it can be done completely in software at transport (Layer-4) userspace level, no longer in the datalink (Layer-2, hardware + kernel).

It's is really a software cost, not so much hardware -- although one still needs commercial APs and related capabilities ($600-1,200 AP devices).

I forgot his handle here, but @fabknight also knows Jim (won't mention his last name), who spent time out at MeshNetworks developing one of the early, pre-802.11s implements at the datalink (with some rather 'aggressive' use of 2.4GHz).

That level of solution, which used but wasn't compatible with 802.11b, is no longer required. It's what we used to provide communications to the Coast Guard for Katrina, as well as during the Florida hurricanes (on a smaller scale) prior, using satellite uplink (so we were extremely limited on bandwidth, had to develop apps that used SCTP/RTP and similar, etc...).

Nah. Not only are IP66/67 aka NEMA 4X/6 enclosures and designs cheap, but most commercial APs are already rated as such, at least IP66 / NEMA 4X.

This is an added cost too, although is mitigated for 'sports venues' in either 1 of 2 ways ...
  • If the avenue is on a site that already requires high-bandwidth (e.g., university), it's actually used off-peak/non-business already, and paid by other means, or ...
  • If the avenue is not on a site that already required high-bandwidth, it's typically purchased as 'metered,' and only paid for when in use
Now, in a case a city, I agree. But not a sports venue.
Yes, in the case of a sports venue, although possibly a city where they are already an infrastructure provider, and it's a 'loss leader' or required in their utility agreements.

Hey smart guy you are over simplifying the concept of a large scale mesh network. You have merely addressed the sw/protocol elements but have completely trivialized the nuances of an effective topology, the E3 considerations associated with the steel/aluminum stadium and the required infrastructure that goes way beyond simple weather resistant access points to service over 40000 fans. Not your grandfathers home network, Sport. But hey simple and cheap, wonder why Spectrum and previously Brighthouse didn’t just throw it together for the common good.....wonder why UF overpaid so much?

Last edited:
Hey smart guy you are over simplifying the concept of a mesh network. You have merely addressed the sw/protocol elements but have completely trivialized the nuances of an effective topology, the E3 considerations associated with the stadium and the required infrastructure that goes way beyond simple weather resistant access points. But hey simple and cheap, wonder why Spectrum and previously Brighthouse didn’t just throw it together for the common good.....wonder why UF overpaid so much?
Hey, read my *other* post where I explained *how* it cost $6.6M.

Hey, read my *other* post where I explained *how* it cost $6.6M.
Honestly after reading your sophomoric, condescending drivel, I have zero interest reading any of your posts...

Honestly after reading your sophomoric, condescending drivel, I have zero interest reading any of your posts...
So you admit you didn't stop to actually read my points? And what was the purpose of your response?

I merely pointed out that most commercial APs for these applications are whether sealed, and 'mesh' means something else to a lot of people who have done these before.

Like me. :)

So you admit you didn't stop to actually read my points? And what was the purpose of your response?

I merely pointed out that most commercial APs for these applications are whether sealed, and 'mesh' means something else to a lot of people who have done these before.

Like me. :)
Given that your techo babble has not addressed the real underlying complexities and design constraints I’m really not that impressed. If your significant accomplishments are network implementation , I’m really not impressed......BTW learn how to spell check. I’m done with you.

Given that your techo babble has not addressed the real underlying complexities and design constraints I’m really not that impressed. If your significant accomplishments are network implementation , I’m really not impressed......BTW learn how to spell check. I’m done with you.
I'm on my phone dude

1o165e.jpg

Reactions: UCFBS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT