ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Beach

Dwooderson

Three-Star Recruit
Mar 1, 2015
Just curious as to what beaches are relatively close to Orlando that are worth going to.

I have only been to CoCo beach with the family and we enjoyed ourselves. Just curious as to where everybody goes. Is it worth the longer drive to the gulf side?

TIA

Last edited:
Plusses of going to the Gulf side: quieter, less white trash and thicker women. Plusses of the East coast: waves, washed up dead sea turtles and various ocean trash, fitter women and Taco city.

I grew up in Cocoa and St. Augustine so those are the only beaches I really ever went to more than once. I've heard New Smyrna is alright.

Just curious as to what beaches are relatively close to Orlando that are worth going to.

I have only been to CoCo beach with the family and we enjoyed ourselves. Just curious as to where everybody goes. Is it worth the longer drive to the gulf side?

TIA
Glad you asked. Just went to Cocoa yesterday and it’s always white trash and nasty by the Pier. The sand isn’t nice as well.

However, in front of Coconuts the sand was decent and the talent was surprisingly good

It was close and parking wasn’t that bad. They spruced up that specific area a lot and I had a very good experience

Not sure why the women were so hot yesterday. They were probably a combination of local women, UCF students, UF students and up north Spring Breakers who made sure that they hit the gym hard before they came down.

Clearwater Beach for the nicest family experience but it's gulf side so a longer drive. Cocoa & Daytona are meh.
Smyrna is a no go. That's where a lot of us locals like to go surfing and we don't want it crowded with tourists.

Went to the pier at Cocoa once just to check it out. Was crowded and agree the assessments provided. We were farther south by Mambas. Had quite a few beverages there.

How much longer drive is it to Clearwater?

Went to the pier at Cocoa once just to check it out. Was crowded and agree the assessments provided. We were farther south by Mambas. Had quite a few beverages there.

How much longer drive is it to Clearwater?
Clearwater Beach and Siesta Key in Sarasota always take me about 2 hours. They are about 100-110 miles away. One accident on I-4 and it could be much longer. It’s a much nicer experience to stay overnight

Reactions: Dwooderson
No Clearwater! If you're going to the beach in Florida, you have to deal with the white trash and fat tourists from Nebraska. Its Daytona or Cocoa for you, buddy. You can cry in your Taco City when you're done.

Too funny!!!!

Glad you asked. Just went to Cocoa yesterday and it’s always white trash and nasty by the Pier. The sand isn’t nice as well.

However, in front of Coconuts the sand was decent and the talent was surprisingly good

I thought Coconuts was the worst kept secret as the scenery spot. I’ve never set up by the Pier at Cocoa Beach. It is is unofficial UCF Student/young alumn Beach spot

Even if OP has kids I still rather set up in front of Coconuts bc it’s convenient for ordering food & drinks and they’ll have live music sometimes

If OP has more time I would definitely check out a few Gulf Beaches like Anna Maria Island & Siesta Key

I thought Coconuts was the worst kept secret as the scenery spot. I’ve never set up by the Pier at Cocoa Beach. It is is unofficial UCF Student/young alumn Beach spot

Even if OP has kids I still rather set up in front of Coconuts bc it’s convenient for ordering food & drinks and they’ll have live music sometimes

If OP has more time I would definitely check out a few Gulf Beaches like Anna Maria Island & Siesta Key
Additionally, they have the only bathroom within a few hundred yards

agree w the suggestions to avoid Clearwater , unless u are getting a hotel overnight parking and the traffic alone will put you in a bad mood which is not want you want when going to the Beach

Clearwater Beach for the nicest family experience but it's gulf side so a longer drive. Cocoa & Daytona are meh.
Smyrna is a no go. That's where a lot of us locals like to go surfing and we don't want it crowded with tourists.

Left New Smyrna Sunday at 10:30AM. Traffic on 44 was backed up past 95 and the Walmart there. I think it’s been way over crowded with tourists for some time. In another 5-7 years, it will resemble Daytona.

I'm a fan of Ponce Inlet myself. It's been less crowded than other beaches when I've visited, the beach was clean, and you can pet/get attacked by sharks if you go out far enough!

I always pay a little money to get on the National Canaveral Seashore at the southern end of New Smyrna. It’s a park, so you have to pay and you can’t park on the beach. It’s a little more private, hardly any crowds. But no lifeguards on duty if you have kids. And it’s not too southern to reach Playa Linda at that point.

Cape Canaveral can be good, but eventually all the retirees will show up to become even redder and fatter. If you want a quiet beach in Brevard, just go further south. Stay away from the Pier, Ron Jon and the touristy spots.

Indialantic can be super chill because Orlandoians won't drive that far. Plus it's near Satellite beach if you need meth.

Cape Canaveral can be good, but eventually all the retirees will show up to become even redder and fatter. If you want a quiet beach in Brevard, just go further south. Stay away from the Pier, Ron Jon and the touristy spots.

Indialantic can be super chill because Orlandoians won't drive that far. Plus it's near Satellite beach if you need meth.

You had me redder and fatter!! :cool2:

I grew up in the BC...Brevard County for anybody outside the clique. Playalinda....aka Canaveral National Seashore....is sweet. Often uncrowded, it is as Florida as a beach can get. Surf can be a little rougher because it juts out a few miles into the Atlantic than most other beaches. Yeah, you have to pay a few bucks but I think it’s worth it. A bonus is you can swing by Haulover Canal on the way out or back, and probably get a look at Manatees, which are often hanging out. How many beaches are that close to a launch pad as well. You have to drive by Pad 39A to get there. There are also several access roads you can use to drive around and admire the wildlife as well.

It was close and parking wasn’t that bad. They spruced up that specific area a lot and I had a very good experience

Not sure why the women were so hot yesterday. They were probably a combination of local women, UCF students, UF students and up north Spring Breakers who made sure that they hit the gym hard before they came down.
Can’t go wrong with Coconuts.

Reactions: Mikesi
I grew up in the BC...Brevard County for anybody outside the clique. Playalinda....aka Canaveral National Seashore....is sweet. Often uncrowded, it is as Florida as a beach can get. Surf can be a little rougher because it juts out a few miles into the Atlantic than most other beaches. Yeah, you have to pay a few bucks but I think it’s worth it. A bonus is you can swing by Haulover Canal on the way out or back, and probably get a look at Manatees, which are often hanging out. How many beaches are that close to a launch pad as well. You have to drive by Pad 39A to get there. There are also several access roads you can use to drive around and admire the wildlife as well.

Might get to see lots of wildlife depending on what part of playalinda your on...

New Smyrna raised parking on the beach to $20 on 1/1. It used to be $10.....
It use to be $2 lol. Growing up in Altamonte back in the 70s and 80s, New Smyrna was. THE beach. When ever head back to visit family and friends, it's our place to go.

I have been to all the beaches mentioned in this thread. The Gulf beaches are nice, a different vibe than the east coast. My favorite beach though is in the panhandle at Cape San Blas. It's old Florida and not a lot of development. Its simple but the beach is largely unspoiled.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT