ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Heup getting PAID!!!

mattropolis

Diamond Knight
Jan 7, 2002
9 mil/yr through 2028. Major payday and is set up for life. Happy for the guy. Still happy we were able to dump him and get a payday out of it. Something just seemed off that last year.

Thank you DW. The best AD in America. He saw the potential and found a way to press the reset button on his career.

Last edited:
He got a QB commit that one of the ratings services ranked above Archie Manning. Perfect storm of momentum for his career. Without Nil he wouldn’t have recruited as well there

Reactions: VFL1970
SEC coaches are paid crazy money. This puts him in the neighborhood of Kiffin at Ole Miss and Stoops at Kentucky. Upper middle of the SEC.

He got a QB commit that one of the ratings services ranked above Archie Manning. Perfect storm of momentum for his career. Without Nil he wouldn’t have recruited as well there
That's the thing. Can coaches find ways (or realize) their shortcomings and work around them. With Heup, he can just pay top-tier kids to go there (well, not directly of course). He was also able to go out and spend a ton on a quality DC that he chose. People will find him the money to be successful, and so far he is. Still think things worked out better for all parties, regarding Us, DW and him.

That's the thing. Can coaches find ways (or realize) their shortcomings and work around them. With Heup, he can just pay top-tier kids to go there (well, not directly of course). He was also able to go out and spend a ton on a quality DC that he chose. People will find him the money to be successful, and so far he is. Still think things worked out better for all parties, regarding Us, DW and him.
it is annoying the Tennessee fans that act like UCF was the problem. they don’t know what they are talking about

Reactions: U C to the F
it is annoying the Tennessee fans that act like UCF was the problem. they don’t know what they are talking about
The problem was you went undefeated one season. Heupel had good seasons there until Covid hit and you had players opt out or get kicked off the team. You still expected to go 10-0 with all players gone or hurt. The players at Tennessee love him. The recruits love him and how honest he is with them. Listen to this player talk about him.

The problem was you went undefeated one season. Heupel had good seasons there until Covid hit and you had players opt out or get kicked off the team. You still expected to go 10-0 with all players gone or hurt. The players at Tennessee love him. The recruits love him and how honest he is with them. Listen to this player talk about him.
and it wasn’t the case here . a few of the players have done an about face now but when he was here leaks galore of locker room issues. and the HS Coaches don’t lie..he either didn’t come around enough or he rubbed most of them the wrong way.

and it wasn’t the case here . a few of the players have done an about face now but when he was here leaks galore of locker room issues. and the HS Coaches don’t lie..he either didn’t come around enough or he rubbed most of them the wrong way.
I have heard the same. I am shocked the players like him @ Tenn. From what I understand, the majority of players @ UCF did not like playing for him.

The losses on the road in 2019 where he was badly outcoached started the loss of the locker room and that was just never repaired with the challenges of COVID going on the next season. He also doesn't fit the culture of Florida. He's a folksy old soul kind of guy, perfect for a midwest program or traditional SEC spot like Knoxville. Bad fit and had the program going in a bad direction. When things are going well the players love you and the coaches love the players. That's easy. Wait for some real adversity.

Every coach is going to have players that love or hate them. There is some that don't want to play for Malzahn, you know there is some that could never play for GOL.

The whole Heupel HC, but DC Shannon being its own entity was the bigger problem.

UCF coaches are going to get paid far more in the B12 to do far less. They are going to expect to be paid more than $2-3million/year with out having to deliver a conference title. If they are delivering conference titles, they will be expecting $5-7 at the minimum.

Every coach is going to have players that love or hate them. There is some that don't want to play for Malzahn, you know there is some that could never play for GOL.

The whole Heupel HC, but DC Shannon being its own entity was the bigger problem.

UCF coaches are going to get paid far more in the B12 to do far less. They are going to expect to be paid more than $2-3million/year with out having to deliver a conference title. If they are delivering conference titles, they will be expecting $5-7 at the minimum.
Hippo shannon was a combo from HEL

He's a folksy old soul kind of guy, perfect for a midwest program or traditional SEC spot like Knoxville. Bad fit and had the program going in a bad direction.
spot on. Frost by comparison fit well personality wise here. From Nebraska but felt West Coast Cool coming from Oregon. Players responded and there was buzz all over the State about UCF those few years

Reactions: VFL1970
He visits Tennessee high schools all the time. Maybe he learned from mistakes at UCF. The culture has never been better. Heupel is cautious with who he recruits, because of culture Fit.

spot on. Frost by comparison fit well personality wise here. From Nebraska but felt West Coast Cool coming from Oregon. Players responded and there was buzz all over the State about UCF those few years
Heupel had a better winning percentage at UCF than Frost did. I don’t get the hate. Never did. He always had one of the top offenses. You can’t really blame the defense on him, if the coordinator was forced on him and had complete control of the defense.

Reactions: ReturnOf
Heupel had a better winning percentage at UCF than Frost did. I don’t get the hate. Never did. He always had one of the top offenses. You can’t really blame the defense on him, if the coordinator was forced on him and had complete control of the defense.
the Shannon situation definitely didn’t help and is a big what if. most/all of us think Heupel is a great human being so I think most are happy for
him. Also him doing well at Tennessee in a way hurts Florida which could help us

Last edited:
I don't particularly hate on chumlee. I just dont think He was effective recruiting in the confines of UCF at the time. Having shannon forced on him didn't help.

I don’t think you can blame COVID. You pointed out the exact problem. He did great with the previous guys recruits….then his recruits were the core of the team and we trended downwards. Talent and development trended downward. Two of his recruiting classes did not produce a lot of contributing players. We’re seeing the consequences of that over the last two seasons and Gus is having to re-establish not only quality but also depth.

It doesn’t matter what anybody’s opinion is now anyways. Heup is locked in through 2028, and good or bad that’s their guy. The trend so far is:
1) AD signs head coaches to ridiculously costly and lengthy contracts (5-10 years).
2) Said coach falters a few seasons (or has unrealistic expectations placed on them) and by season 3-5 the school is ready to move on.
3) School fires coach and still has to pay him big money for many more years, along with having to pay new coach.
4) AD then gets fired. AD and coach are rich no matter what. Football program just pisses-away millions and millions of dollars with nothing to show for it.
5) New AD comes in and does the same thing. AD and coach are rich no matter what. Football program just pisses-away millions and millions of dollars with nothing to show for it.
6) Nobody recently has seemed to learn from this, but unlike the federal Govt that keeps spending money that doesn’t exist, creates it out of thin air, or just raises the debt ceiling so they don’t default, the stupid debt being accumulated by some programs will probably blow up in some programs faces, kind of like what happened with UConn.

Last edited:
Reactions: muckdawg24
I’ve never bought into this ideology. Everyone blames Shannon “being forced on him” but if that was the problem, did Heup never bring it up or was his requests ignored by the AD? How come DW never did anything about it?

The problem with this argument is that the AD at Tennessee is the same guy that was AD at UCF, and hired him for both jobs. Are we really going to say that the UCF AD saddled the head coach with a forced DC that he could not get rid of, but that same AD had no strings attached now at Tennessee, and that same coach wanted to go work for the same AD that supposedly put him in that situation? I just don’t buy it.

Our issues seemed to point more towards just a basic decline in culture and personality issues more than anything having to do with the head coach, AD and DC. I mean, I’ve experienced this in my professional life, like many. Sometimes a job just wears you down and you need a change of scenery (and a bigger payday…haha.)

I’ve never bought into this ideology. Everyone blames Shannon “being forced on him” but if that was the problem, did Heup never bring it up or was his requests ignored by the AD? How come DW never did anything about it?

The problem with this argument is that the AD at Tennessee is the same guy that was AD at UCF, and hired him for both jobs. Are we really going to say that the UCF AD saddled the head coach with a forced DC that he could not get rid of, but that same AD had no strings attached now at Tennessee, and that same coach wanted to go work for the same AD that supposedly put him in that situation? I just don’t buy it.

Our issues seemed to point more towards just a basic decline in culture and personality issues more than anything having to do with the head coach, AD and DC. I mean, I’ve experienced this in my professional life, like many. Sometimes a job just wears you down and you need a change of scenery (and a bigger payday…haha.)
It’s common knowledge that DW chose Shannon and thus Heupel was “saddled” with him while here. Even if you don’t “buy it”.

It’s common knowledge that DW chose Shannon and thus Heupel was “saddled” with him while here. Even if you don’t “buy it”.
So why would he agree to work for the same guy that did that to him, and apparently wouldn’t let Shannon go?

In fact, DW extended Shannon in 2020 so if this was a problem for Heup, DW “just slapped him in the face” at that point.

I mean, this seems like “battered-wife syndrome” level stuff, if this was all true and Heup went and worked for the guy again (which he did).

Last edited:
I would say Danny White saw what worked and what didn't and evolved. Danny was and still is a pretty young athletic director, approaching his role differently than others in a lot of ways. This was an experiment of his and it didn't work out, he is smart enough to recognize the flaw and adjust.

Reactions: mattropolis
So why would he agree to work for the same guy that did that to him, and apparently wouldn’t let Shannon go?

I mean, that’s like “battered-wife syndrome”.
I’m sure when he was interviewed for Tennessee, he said he wanted to make his own hires. Shannon was announced as DC before Heupel as Coach. I think was a backup plan in case Heupel Essed the bed they had a former HC already in house.

his offense ended up being pass pass run up the middle punt. Did you see our record his last year here?

his offense ended up being pass pass run up the middle punt. Did you see our record his last year here?
I would argue Malzahn 2022 year is worse than Heupel 2020. Malzahn might have got to the conference championship, but the team was just as lost if not worse at the end of the season as 2020.

2020 4 Loses
#8 Cincinnati
#11 BYU
#27 Tulsa
#31 Memphis

2022 5 Losses
#9 Tulane
#26 Duke
#36 Louisville
UR ECU
UR Navy

Reactions: Guinness_Knight

In fact, DW extended Shannon in 2020 so if this was a problem for Heup, DW “just slapped him in the face” at that point.

I mean, this seems like “battered-wife syndrome” level stuff, if this was all true and Heup went and worked for the guy again (which he did).
I think you answered your own question in the first post of the thread. Do you think there were other SEC jobs on the table for Heupel at the time?

Uhh when he had his best offense at UCF at 42.2 ppg, 8th nationally?!? 😅🤣

Wth. His offense actually improved, did you even watch?

And UT had the #1 offense this season.

You've lost your mind.

I don't particularly hate on chumlee. I just dont think He was effective recruiting in the confines of UCF at the time. Having shannon forced on him didn't help.
Yes having the #1 classes in the conference (adding in transfers for all teams) must have been tough 😅

Remember transfers don't count (used to) and he using good portions of classes bringing in multiple P5 transfers/class...but just ignore that...

It's amazing how ignorant you all were of your own program. Basic analysis.

And now you have a coach that's lost 1 more game in 2 years than Heupel did in 3 (including a brutal covid season losing about every DB imaginable) 😅🤣😂😭😭

Amazing.

Yes having the #1 classes in the conference (adding in transfers for all teams) must have been tough 😅

Remember transfers don't count (used to) and he using good portions of classes bringing in multiple P5 transfers/class...but just ignore that...

It's amazing how ignorant you all were of your own program. Basic analysis.

And now you have a coach that's lost 1 more game in 2 years than Heupel did in 3 (including a brutal covid season losing about every DB imaginable) 😅🤣😂😭😭

Amazing.
It’s amazing how little you know of UCF and the transition from Frost to Huepel to Gus. But thanks for stopping by, now go bang your sister or cousin or whatever you people do in the hills.

Why are TN fans here to talk about how great Heup is? The need for validation is hella strong for these losers. Go find something else to circle jerk about, you guys got a good HC, move on and focus on yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT