ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hippo gets a raise

He could be very successful at Tennessee. He’s got a good offensive mind and so far has developed every QB he has gotten. Not a great recruiter, nor seems to care about defense much but he has major money at a Tennessee to overcome those shortfalls by buying players and hiring a good DC.

Reactions: Knight Strength
If he can get that 5* QB commitment to stick he will probably continue to have a pretty good offense after Hooker leaves. I think it’s early to give him a raise, but in terms of SEC coaches it seems about right.

Reactions: Knight Strength
While I didn't like Heupel too much when he was here, I did come to respect him after Anderson's funeral. The guy did not have to attend, let alone say anything. I respect the man for doing that. I think Heupel had some big shoes to fill and fell short only because as an undefeated team, you can only go downhill. I still think they guy has a lot to learn in order to be a good head coach, but I think he is learning from his mistakes. As far as his accomplishments at Tennessee, if he can somehow beat Alabama or Florida then he will be one of their best coaches. They haven't beaten UF since 2016 so that appears more realistic. They haven't beaten Alabama since 2006 and that doesn't appear it will change this year but who knows, they are both home games for Tennessee.

He could be very successful at Tennessee. He’s got a good offensive mind and so far has developed every QB he has gotten. Not a great recruiter, nor seems to care about defense much but he has major money at a Tennessee to overcome those shortfalls by buying players and hiring a good DC.

Yep, the defense and special teams definitely suffered after Heupel's takeover. We're still dealing with some of those issues. Will be interesting to see if that plays out again in Knoxville AND how he handles adversity when it strikes in the locker room - the reaction to the losses to Tulsa and @Memphis in 2020 seemed like he had a meltdown and the locker room sniffed weakness.

Yep, the defense and special teams definitely suffered after Heupel's takeover. We're still dealing with some of those issues. Will be interesting to see if that plays out again in Knoxville AND how he handles adversity when it strikes in the locker room - the reaction to the losses to Tulsa and @Memphis in 2020 seemed like he had a meltdown and the locker room sniffed weakness.
In his last game UT muffed a punt and had a punt blocked. So seems he is still not coaching well in that area.

Randy Shannon was hired before him and he wasn’t allowed to replace him. The defense being bad is on DW and RS. Not Heupel. BTW DG just ran a 61 yard TD against Nebraska.

Randy Shannon was hired before him and he wasn’t allowed to replace him. The defense being bad is on DW and RS. Not Heupel.
Things are not always that simple or cut and dry. The play of the defense, especially late in games, is often the result of poor offensive execution.

UCF had a great offense while Heupel was here, but they also regularly struggled late in games slowing down the pace, running the clock out, piling up offensive 3-and-out’s, penalties, etc. This kept the defense on the field for more opponent plays.

The three phases of football are never has independent/separate as a lot of fans think they are.

ADVERTISEMENT