ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Knights Out Pub Out

Last time I was there (2016 or 2017) it was still Chillers on 1st floor and Latitudes on the roof. I think big bellies was 2nd floor but that might have been in 2015. I did some bar crawls and not sure what was there when I went. DT Orlando is really awesome.
I love Casey's. My girl and I would go there most nights. They have a live band that is great, the drinks are about as strong as Wally's, and they have popcorn with a bunch of seasoning. Lizzys is our #2. The Monkey Bar on the 2nd floor above Wall St/that open square area might be #3. Nice environment and people watching. Also good is the western bar. Lots of people there and loud upbeat music. One of the last times I was at the western bar they were doing $1 fireball shots so my buddy bought 20 of them haha.
I'd like to go to Wally's but its so far away from everything else and I'd be buzzed after one drink so I wouldn't drive anywhere else so it was too inconvenient. I love how s***ty it is though. Best vibe for getting really drunk.

I love the Mills/50 dive bar scene but the old Wally’s closed. It reopened with new management, but it’s just not the same.

You really just can’t beat the view of Latitudes. We would go downtown every Wednesday, get in free with our student IDs. Get dollar drinks from Chillers and then walk up to latitudes. Repeat all night long lol.

Those were the days...

I love the Mills/50 dive bar scene but the old Wally’s closed. It reopened with new management, but it’s just not the same.

You really just can’t beat the view of Latitudes. We would go downtown every Wednesday, get in free with our student IDs. Get dollar drinks from Chillers and then walk up to latitudes. Repeat all night long lol.

Those were the days...
That's right I forgot there are some other bars down Mills. Latitudes also had a good happy hour on Friday. 3 for 1 drinks until 8pm.

the funny thing is that bars by UCF would be more crowded on Sunday-Thursday night than on Saturdays. That threw off friends from other State schools

Reactions: Knight Strength
... We also liked to go walk around Lake Eola. One night we went to a concert, ate at Gringo's, drank at Casey's, then went to Lake Eola. We were just in a zone and kept walking and talking. I don't know how many laps it was or how long it took but her Fitbit said we walked 7 miles lol. Downtown Orlando is really cool.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I remember Calico Jack's. Not sure when it opened. It was there in the 90s. But that was the south west corner.
The north west corner has a waffle house, papa John's, and hotel. I dont remember a bar being there but I know the papa John's went in in the ops so maybe it was there before. Or you guys could be talking about a little further west.
The main UCF bar I know of was Devaneys. North east corner in the same shopping center as the old Publix.
Yes Calico Jacks. A little further on North aside was Headlights or something.
I guess I'll show my age, do you old schoolers remember the "Liquid Cellar"?

Was eventually torn down during the UC-7 redevelopment.
Yes Liquid Cellar. 2 bars in that same plaza.

Ha! Completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. Also... does anyone remember going to Spit Night (Wed nights) at the club near Lake Fairview on 441 (North OBT). Can't remember the name of the club but we had a blast trying to look as "punk" as possible for a bunch of college kids!
.... That was probably Park Avenue ...

Spit was Monday and Wednesday nights. Happy hour was super cheap. Went there many times. The place is currently called 'Grills' if you want to google map it. I had to a couple weeks ago as I couldn't remember where it was and what it was called either.

Wednesday nights started at Rosie’s for nickel beer, then moved to Nickel’s Alley. It later changed to a country western bar complete with a mechanical bull! Upside down margaritas in the barber chair at Spit were fun, too.

Last edited:
Spit was Monday and Wednesday nights. Happy hour was super cheap. Went there many times. The place is currently called 'Grills' if you want to google map it. I had to a couple weeks ago as I couldn't remember where it was and what it was called either.
Way before Grills, Park Ave. was re-branded to be named something I can't remember. It had the original club bldg and a separate, large covered bar with a beach, volleyball area, and a dock on Lk Fairview. Really nice setup.

The original Park Ave. bldgs and everything else that was ever there were all razed to put up Grills. Grills is pretty nice. Only complaint is that the outside dining area gets really windy. Seems like it always comes right off the lake. They have barriers but the winds gets by somehow.

Reactions: The Nation of UCF
Decades on Park Ave in Winterpark
Sleep Out Louies - Used to be a Chuck e Cheese
Beach Club on Orange Ave
Mills Ave Liquor (Walley's)
Visage
Spit
The Wild Pizza on Campus
Tom's Point After
Nickel Beer at Rosie O'Gradys

Reactions: The Nation of UCF
Way before Grills, Park Ave. was re-branded to be named something I can't remember. It had the original club bldg and a separate, large covered bar with a beach, volleyball area, and a dock on Lk Fairview. Really nice setup.

The original Park Ave. bldgs and everything else that was ever there were all razed to put up Grills. Grills is pretty nice. Only complaint is that the outside dining area gets really windy. Seems like it always comes right off the lake. They have barriers but the winds gets by somehow.

Park Ave, became Shooters ....

Reactions: e.
Kids at UCF today really miss out on the charm of the old days. The bars in that area are just generic watering holes with no personality. Library is a cookie cutter version of the original Library and Pub is generic. Then theyve got, what, Bar Louie?? Some random little "brewery" pubs.

There is no more little college town feel anymore. It's likely downtown if you're old enough or the handful of bars by campus.

I know it wasn't called grills back then. I just know that is what it is called now and how I found/remembered the location of spit. Grills is from Brevard county with two restuarants. The orlando location is the 3rd. I didn't have a car back in 80s/UCF thus, never drove to spit. Thus, never really knew where it was and I was in a recent conversation about the spit days.

Visage was a fun spot also.

Yes, in the 80s there wasn't that many party spots. DT Orlando only had a handful of clubs, now it is 4 or 5 blocks of clubs.

Near UCF it was knight out pub, wildpizza (on campus), and that was about it. It was mostly house parties and occassionaly catching a ride to spit/visage, then later Disney's pleasure island got pretty popular.

Name spit. Every other day except Monday/Wednesday nights I think the club was a disco/country, or top 40 one. Those nights they had an hour of free drinks w/cover charge 8-9. The music was alternative/new wave that was just coming out at the time. Bands like the Cure, psychedelic furs, some industrial, etc. New Wave was really only played on college radio (wucf) or on MTV late night. Thus the name Spit. Kind of like punk. I also think there was a club in NYC that was named spit at the time and maybe the venue wanted to emulate that. It got packed on those two nights of mostly younger college age kids (like me). Never went on a non-Spit night.

In the late 80's, Boomers opened up in the shopping center at the NW corner of Alafaya and University. Class Break Billiards did as well. Drink enough beer at Class Break and you got a permanent mug with your name and Fraternity Crest on it. I got mine when I was 19 years old!

Reactions: Robert0122
In the late 80's, Boomers opened up in the shopping center at the NW corner of Alafaya and University. Class Break Billiards did as well. Drink enough beer at Class Break and you got a permanent mug with your name and Fraternity Crest on it. I got mine when I was 19 years old!
I’m assuming that turned into the Liquid Cellar.

ADVERTISEMENT