ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kobe Bryant dies in helicopter crash

I saw that press conference, and there was way too much grandstanding. I understand the need to notify next of kin as such, but the coroner's investigation will take at least 2 or 3 more days to confirm what is already known. I'm pretty sure the families would like to know ASAP so that they can begin the grieving process sooner rather than later.

This is very sad but I don't know why the TMZ story makes a difference, it isn't bringing him back and he is a global icon...Curious to hear how the helicopter crashed, I'm guessing the fog and unawareness of the mountain were the reason

This is very sad but I don't know why the TMZ story makes a difference, it isn't bringing him back and he is a global icon...Curious to hear how the helicopter crashed, I'm guessing the fog and unawareness of the mountain were the reason
Helicopter was built in 1991. Will be interesting to see how or even if flight instrumentation was updated (gps/terrain warning systems, etc.). Was being operated under special VFR flight rules, which requires pilot to maintain visual contact with ground and stay clear of clouds/fog versus IFR rules in which pilot does not need ground reference. If reports are correct that they hit the mountain/ground at 161 knots in fog, results of this FAA investigation will be pilot error.

Last edited:
Helicopter was built in 1991. Will be interesting to see how or even if flight instrumentation was updated (gps/terrain warning systems, etc.). Was being operated under special VFR flight rules, which requires pilot to maintain visual contact with ground and stay clear of clouds/fog versus IFR rules in which pilot does not need ground reference. If reports are correct that they hit the mountain/ground at 161 knots, results of this FAA investigation will be pilot error.
That's what I'm guessing too... we've had no commercial plane crashes in recent years, but prior, many of the crashes were due to low hanging fog and loss of awareness which is what I'm guessing happened here...there looked to be a trail of debris which to me means they came in at an angle of high speed...are there black boxes on helicopters?

Helicopter was built in 1991. Will be interesting to see how or even if flight instrumentation was updated (gps/terrain warning systems, etc.). Was being operated under special VFR flight rules, which requires pilot to maintain visual contact with ground and stay clear of clouds/fog versus IFR rules in which pilot does not need ground reference. If reports are correct that they hit the mountain/ground at 161 knots, results of this FAA investigation will be pilot error.
Flightradar24 app has the flight log , it was following the 101 then suddenly turned left towards the Hills

Following a highway would make sense under Special VFR rules. The sudden left turn, of course, does not.

...are there black boxes on helicopters?
This particular helicopter was manufactured in early 1991. I believe there was a mandate to have black boxes installed in this class of helicopter in November of 1991. So there may be one, may not be one, but it wasn't required.

This particular helicopter was manufactured in early 1991. I believe there was a mandate to have black boxes installed in this class of helicopter in November of 1991. So there may be one, may not be one, but it wasn't required.
Kobe made $680M. Why doesn’t he have a new helicopter?

Often with these cases. There was an exception made. In this case flying in foggy conditions, Aliyah flight that went down had excess weight, JFK Jr flew without proper training for the conditions in his flight. One decision doesn't cause the crash, but like any accident it's a series of events that goes wrong.

It was leased. May have been an exclusive lease, but leased still. Pilot was his regular pilot.

Early death is so unexpected in our society, prayers to all who lost their lives, and to their families.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Certainly this will be pilot error. As good as the pilot was, one must think that him telling kobe “no” due to weather may unfortunately have been something that could get him replaced. Im sure the FAA may adjust its policies regarding this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT