ADVERTISEMENT

[OT] On-line, Bookkeeping/Mini-ERP for Self-Employed (possibly +1-2x 1099 future)

UCFBS

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2001
USA
I figured this is the best place to ask of any, as several of you have far greater small business experience, and current awareness, even if largely self-employed, than my sporadic work over the decades ...

Q: What on-line, Bookkeeping/Mini-ERP solution would you recommend for someone Self-Employed (possible +1-2 1099 at some point in the future)?

I know Intuit (Quickbooks) has an on-line version, haven't priced it yet, plus ... the government doesn't exactly like Intuit (at least they used to not). I know there has to be other options. I've been meaning to investigate what AmEx offers for those of us with long-standing Platinum Business Card accounts (w/added LoCs too).

Requirements:
  • Again, no 'fat' clients/software (no Windows dependency **), all on-line, Internet accessible
  • Browser client access, from non-Windows, like Android and GNU/Linux **
  • Something that makes it easy to turn timesheets into invoices, as well as deal with basic assets and depreciation
Don't Need:
  • Don't need payroll, no W-2 planned for anyone, and I have free (based on my portfolios at my age) financial planners for myself (e.g., SEP IRA)
  • Bookkeeping or other basic assistance, I can do that myself, have done it many years, and I try to 'keep up' with the code
Bonus:
  • Maintains a traditional 'chart of accounts,' and doesn't 'hide' those details, as well as closing out quarters proper, reconcillation, etc... (Accounting Methods)
  • Android ** apps -- e.g., for timesheets and expenses
    • Although I'm kinda doing some with my AmEx Business Platinum access (e.g., uploading receipts w/categorization ... but the latter is not flawless)

I'm Scheduling C'ing enough again, that I need to take my records very seriously. It started with one client that was 5 hours/week, 20 hours/month, but it's kinda exploded. My moonlighting is not going to end anytime soon, even if I do some consultations unpaid. I need to track all that too, not just my income and expenses-depreciation.

In the '00s, I setup my own Ledger and on-line, multi-user, SQL DB-based solution, including a full chart of accounts, various modules for timesheets, expenses, invoices, etc... which I had access to (co-located my GNU/Linux server w/mulitiple OC lines). But I really don't want to do that, not in this modern area of so many provider options. I'd rather someone else handle my maintenance-storage, just like I long pawned off DNS, SMTP (e-mail), Web Hosting and other things.

It's now the 2020s. I know there has to be some inexpensive options out there, like $5/month, or maybe $10-20/month.

I don't want 'fat' clients/software (no Windows), something totally on-line, something I don't have to maintain.

Has to be client accessible from browsers on both Android and GNU/Linux notebooks, not just Windows PCs. Even my work systems (the few not isolated and connected to the Internet) are all Linux. But I can look that up compatibility myself if needbe.

Again, if the provider has Android apps, like for timesheets and expenses, that's a bonus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.