ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Please donate O and AB blood ---------

Good Knight Sweetheart

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2001
Earth
Please donate blood, especially O and AB blood.

Per a friend's page, here are some donation locations (hope this is accurate). The donation website is crashing, due to activity. Also, the donation center closest to the shooting has a line.

The Orange, Osceola, and Seminole locations open today are:

Orlando - West Michigan Donor Center
345 West Michigan St #106...
Orlando, FL 32806
Phone: 407-835-5500
Fax: (407) 835-5505
Sun: 7:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Orlando - Main Donor Center
8669 Commodity Circle
Orlando, FL 32819
Phone: (407) 248-5009
Fax: (407) 455-7570
Sun: 7:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Apopka Donor Center
131 North Park Ave
Apopka, FL 32703
Phone: (407) 884-7471
Fax: (407) 884-7475
Sun: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Kissimmee Donor Center
1029 North John Young Pkwy
Kissimmee, FL 34741
Phone: (407) 847-5747
Fax: (407) 847-9605
Sun: 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Oviedo Donor Center
1954 West 426 #1100
Oviedo, FL 32765
Phone: (407) 588-1291
Fax: (407) 365-9982
Sun: 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Lake Mary Donor Center
105 Waymont Ct #101
Lake Mary , FL 32746
Phone: (407) 322-0822
Fax: (407) 328- 1119
Sun: 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM

also Big Red Bus locations-URGENT need for Blood. Locations of the Big Red Bus today in the Orlando area are as follows:
- Metro Church, Winter Springs
-St. Cloud Presbyterian
-Asbury Methodist, Maitland
-St Luke's, Oviedo
-AMC Theater, Altamonte Mall
-1st Unitarian, Robinson Street
-St. Stephen's, Longwood
-Deltona Lakes Baptist
-Apopka, 131 N. Park Avenue
-Wal Mart, Mount Dora
-Waterford Lakes Town Center
-Winter Garden Village
-Old Navy, near Sanford Mall

I went first thing yesterday when I heard the call for O- (my blood type). I was 4th in line at the truck in Dr. Phillips and it still took over an hour and a half. By the time I got finished they were handing out numbers like the Publix deli and were on number 200+. The truck nearly ran out of supplies once and got more workers and supplies halfway through my wait. I have to give those workers a lot of kudos, they worked all day with no breaks.

Yup. Like that $500K/yr salary for the CEO and many other execs making over $250K. Just regular overhead.*
This is fascinating I love shitting on poorly ran "charities" I don't know jack about the blood donation space, but it's interesting to go on charity navigator & see some of these "great charities" suck ass.

Dude, this isn't the time to do this. Any help is help.
Contrarily, this is exactly the right time to do this. I'm glad so many people are coming out to donate blood, but OneBlood is going to make a killing off selling it. Watch who's making the calls for donations. Is it the hospitals? or is it OneBlood?

Contrarily, this is exactly the right time to do this. I'm glad so many people are coming out to donate blood, but OneBlood is going to make a killing off selling it. Watch who's making the calls for donations. Is it the hospitals? or is it OneBlood?
So what if they make money? As long as they help the victims what difference does it make?

So what if they make money? As long as they help the victims what difference does it make?

I actually see both of your points. Yes, in times of crisis any help is appreciated and perhaps in the middle of a crisis may not be the ideal time to bring up dollars and cents, but there are also ethical implications and red tape double standards. If someone really needs a life-sustaining procedure, profit margin should go out the window. Imagine if we had "negotiated" the price of wheat with the Ethiopian government and required a financial agreement before sending over food aid.

Reactions: jetsaholic
So people freak out that CEOs of larger nonprofits make a "big" salary, BUT if you look at what a CEO of a private company that size would earn, it's considerably more. It's been written about extensively in business journals that to attract top talent, you have to make it financially appealing. And to keep a larger nonprofit running successfully, or to grow a nonprofit, you need someone with solid experience. That costs money. Why? Because of student loans and because of the competition to get those industry-savvy people. Top executives at large nonprofits usually are paid in the $250K yearly range. Of what I've read, the CEO of OneBlood gets $205K. And it's possibly the largest blood bank nonprofit in the states.

So yeah, it's a lot of money to, say, me- but if you pay almost nothing, you won't attract the experience and talent to grow a nonprofit, or even keep it alive. And we can say "they should morally not care about what they earn because of the life-saving work they are doing", but that's easy to say from afar. And, almost everyone who works in the nonprofit worlds DOES get paid less than they would in a comparable position in the for-profit world.

So again- they are still doing a good service. Let's now get back to focusing on getting people to donate blood because it can take many people's worth of blood donations to save a life, and with every crisis we deplete the current blood supply that people who regularly need transfusions or whatnot rely on.

Let's please all go out and donate.

So people freak out that CEOs of larger nonprofits make a "big" salary, BUT if you look at what a CEO of a private company that size would earn, it's considerably more. It's been written about extensively in business journals that to attract top talent, you have to make it financially appealing. And to keep a larger nonprofit running successfully, or to grow a nonprofit, you need someone with solid experience. That costs money. Why? Because of student loans and because of the competition to get those industry-savvy people. Top executives at large nonprofits usually are paid in the $250K yearly range. Of what I've read, the CEO of OneBlood gets $205K. And it's possibly the largest blood bank nonprofit in the states.

So yeah, it's a lot of money to, say, me- but if you pay almost nothing, you won't attract the experience and talent to grow a nonprofit, or even keep it alive. And we can say "they should morally not care about what they earn because of the life-saving work they are doing", but that's easy to say from afar. And, almost everyone who works in the nonprofit worlds DOES get paid less than they would in a comparable position in the for-profit world.

So again- they are still doing a good service. Let's now get back to focusing on getting people to donate blood because it can take many people's worth of blood donations to save a life, and with every crisis we deplete the current blood supply that people who regularly need transfusions or whatnot rely on.

Let's please all go out and donate.
Student loans require a high CEO salary? WTF

Not sure what you read, but it wan't that long ago that OneBlood's CEO was canned because of the outrage over her getting a $650K salary. Then they merged with the St. Pete blood banks and the new CEO took in $480K, plus a one-time $1.5M bonus in 2013. OneBlood has an operating revenue of about $300M and is particularly notorious for overworking their staff (go see their reviews on Glassdoor or the Sentinel article that came out last year). Sure it takes talented individuals to grow the business. But it's a business. Let's not forget that. Their mission isn't necessarily any more noble than Wal-mart's.

And OneBlood put out the call for donations. They have since taken in far more donations than could have possibly been used to treat the victims of the attack, yet they're still calling for more. They know how to strike when the opportunity presents itself.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
So people freak out that CEOs of larger nonprofits make a "big" salary, BUT if you look at what a CEO of a private company that size would earn, it's considerably more. It's been written about extensively in business journals that to attract top talent, you have to make it financially appealing ... cut ...
First off, while I agree it's not the time to question anything, and it does cost money for Blood Banks to just "break even" -- I educate many on this regularly -- and everyone should just give blood, please don't make this argument the other way.

When it comes to a non-profit C-level, what you want is ...
  1. Someone who has already made his/her money elsewhere, so
  2. You're getting someone with already proven, successful experience, hence
  3. The non-profit position is about helping, believing, not individual, financial gain
I'm all for C-levels making 6 figures, but in even large non-profits, it should be very low 6-figures. You want people who are financially independent running some of these organizations and/or people just making enough to live ... and live well ... on.

Just my long-standing view. Also, there are plenty for-profit company boards the non-profit C-levels can and will be on, that offers stock, other compensation, etc... that they will benefit from by being C-level in the non-profit. Don't forget that.

Personally I've had limit how much I participate with one technical non-profit in the past year, one I've been involved with since 2004, because some of the C-levels are making way, way too much. I'm not going to name them by name publicly, for various reasons. but I will in PM if you so desire to know.

Student loans require a high CEO salary? WTF

Not sure what you read, but it wan't that long ago that OneBlood's CEO was canned because of the outrage over her getting a $650K salary. Then they merged with the St. Pete blood banks and the new CEO took in $480K, plus a one-time $1.5M bonus in 2013. OneBlood has an operating revenue of about $300M and is particularly notorious for overworking their staff (go see their reviews on Glassdoor or the Sentinel article that came out last year). Sure it takes talented individuals to grow the business. But it's a business. Let's not forget that. Their mission isn't necessarily any more noble than Wal-mart's.

And OneBlood put out the call for donations. They have since taken in far more donations than could have possibly been used to treat the victims of the attack, yet they're still calling for more. They know how to strike when the opportunity presents itself.

The call for continued donations is because it's important to have a continuous flow of donations for victims and others that rely on a steady supply of blood.

I saw an article where chick-fil-a workers went in on Sunday and made food to hand out at blood donation sites. Likely the value of advertising from the article will outweigh the cost of the food handed out, but really they were just doing the right thing. OneBlood and their employees profit off of blood, but they also have the resources to collect a flood of blood donation. Someone in an auto accident or God forbid another terrorist attack, will get the blood they need because of these drives. If OneBlood didn't exist, who knows how many people would have left lines at overwhelmed hospitals. How much potential blood collection would have gone unrealized?

OneBlood has to pay their employees, leases or mortgages, storage and distribution, marketing to get people to donate, etc. The CEO and some others may be overpaid but I guess 90% of their overhead is legit.
BTW, I bet hospitals transfer some of the costs to patients like everything else. That is the reason an aspirin is $200

I saw an article where chick-fil-a workers went in on Sunday and made food to hand out at blood donation sites. Likely the value of advertising from the article will outweigh the cost of the food handed out, but really they were just doing the right thing. OneBlood and their employees profit off of blood, but they also have the resources to collect a flood of blood donation. Someone in an auto accident or God forbid another terrorist attack, will get the blood they need because of these drives. If OneBlood didn't exist, who knows how many people would have left lines at overwhelmed hospitals. How much potential blood collection would have gone unrealized?
That's what I'm saying.

I don't see One Blood on charity navigator? Guessing they're pretty shit tier.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.profile&ein=593145469
"Organizations such as this, that get most of their revenue from the government or from program services, are therefore not eligible to be rated."
They are still a nonprofit but instead of monetary donations to keep them going, they rely on government funding and the money they make off selling blood. I'm sure if people started donating in huge quantities, they could ease up on the charge per liter of blood or their reliance on government funding.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.profile&ein=593145469
"Organizations such as this, that get most of their revenue from the government or from program services, are therefore not eligible to be rated."
They are still a nonprofit but instead of monetary donations to keep them going, they rely on government funding and the money they make off selling blood. I'm sure if people started donating in huge quantities, they could ease up on the charge per liter of blood or their reliance on government funding.
Yep. That's why I don't get into these debates.

Although I do understand why people complain about C-levels in non-profits not to make what they do. That's an understandable reason why people won't fund them.

Paying a CEO $205k is highway robbery and you are probably getting a moron for a CEO. I get that people that work for non-profits know they will get smaller salaries, but I would expect that any good non-profit would pay handsomely to make sure they don't, at the least, get the bottom of the barrel talent.

Paying a CEO $205k is highway robbery and you are probably getting a moron for a CEO. I get that people that work for non-profits know they will get smaller salaries, but I would expect that any good non-profit would pay handsomely to make sure they don't, at the least, get the bottom of the barrel talent.

I agree. I think the biggest difference is that CEOs of publicly traded companies typically answer to both a board and shareholders...and that can be a real bitch.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT