Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
Houston Fox 26:

Wayne Graham leaving Rice after the 2018 season

WAYNE%20GRAHAM%20PIC00000000_1524011580855.jpg_5344977_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

Rice baseball coach Wayne Graham told FOX 26 Sports his career with the Owls will end at the conclusion of this season.

“The athletic director (Joe Karlgaard) has informed me that my contract will not be extended at the end of the 2018 season,” Graham said. “I am totally committed to this year’s team and will give everything I have to place this team in the postseason. I love teaching and coaching and have no plans to retire.

Graham, who has been the Owls baseball coach since 1991, is in the final year of his contract at Rice.

“Multiple sources have informed me that a former player has been campaigning for my job, and has solicited the aid of other former players,” Graham said. “This has been extremely hurtful to my wife and I since we have loved and supported all these players.

Graham did not identify who that former player is. He did say that situation has been going on for more than a year.

“Perhaps it is time to exit Rice,” Graham said. “My wife and I love Rice and what it has stood for. So we leave reluctantly. I’m making this public statement to Rice Nation so that the people we have served all these years know exactly how I feel.”

http://www.fox26houston.com/sports/wayne-graham-leaving-rice-after-the-2018-season

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.