ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UCF Student Housing advice

FRIGHTKNIGHT

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2002
Merritt Island
I have a son who is transferring to UCF in the FALL from college up north as Sophomore. He was playing football at Wesleyan University in Connecticut but injured his back and he has decided he would rather be close to home and back in Florida.

I am very familiar with campus as I am a season ticket holder for football and also attend baseball and basketball games. But I really have no idea about the best options for housing. I believe he and 1 maybe 2 of his buddies will be looking for rooming accommodations.

Any opinions on what is best? On campus or off? And what are the best given working out, food options and actually getting to class? If you had to do it all over again, where would you live?

I spent time in Alafaya Woods, FoxHunt and Sherwood Forrest way back in my undergrad days in the early 90's.

Thanks! Appreciate any insight!

Also, don't want to take advice without some sort of payment:
images
203999_1478192647.jpg

Screen-Shot-2015-10-14-at-12.49.43-PM.png
e3c6ae0f84438e0d8442db131ac5e082.jpg

If they have cars off campus is probably cheaper. No car then on campus. I can’t give exact names I graduated a few years after you.

Just off campus Arden Villas or Plaza on University

If those are out of the price range browse on Google maps

Seems like the names of the places off campus have all changed at least once in the past 5 years. Years ago I looked up every off campus student housing took info off their websites/visited for a spreadsheet of their bathroom situations, billing, and accommodations. I feel like Knight Circle was the best because it was new and theres tons of students there (biggest OC housing in the nation I heard) but I think they were all 4/4s. And of course all student housing seems to be run by kids who can't help you and managers who want to screw you. Just like non-student apartments I guess. The last apartment I lived in was Oviedo Grove and I though they were pretty nice. It was just a 9 minute drive down Lockwood and they let us kind of split the lease so when a roommate left they had to find a replacement. Good luck!

Reactions: FRIGHTKNIGHT
Oviedo Grove is right across the street from Cafe Pannuzo's too! Love that place. Also a Jeremiah's Italian Ice and a Publix very close.

On campus Nike/Hercules was nice being close to the IM fields, gym, and dining hall. I believe Neptune is pretty similar to Nike/Hercules setup wise, but its newer. The 4/2 apartment style in Hercules was pretty nice, I was there for a bit. Apollo/Libra seemed to have a more social environment, but youre also going to share more space and facilities. Think Towers is more expensive but nice to be by the sports complex etc. Cant vouch much for Lake Claire.

Off campus Knights Circle 4/4 was solid. Nothing spectacular but also nice to have split up buildings and not one massive one like plaza where its loud and you have connected hallways. Also parking at Knights Circle was infinitely easier. Location wise, being across from campus was convenient, and manageable walk/uber from the bars. I remember everything south of university getting more sketch the closer you get to Colonial.

Since you mention that you attend football, basketball and baseball games...one nice option for a Soph would be the Towers, especially if he has 1 or 2 friends.

Athletic Village Towers are mostly suites, where everyone gets their own bedroom and you share a bathroom with one suitemate.

It will make it super easy for you to visit anytime besides games (free parking in Garage F), plus he would get a spot in the Tower Garage.

Knightros is right there for meal plan and the smaller Rec & Wellness Center is right there too now.

Reactions: FRIGHTKNIGHT
I have two children who rented houses off campus. They both seemed to like the privacy and yet be in college. It also was less expensive than any other option they looked at.

I have two children who rented houses off campus. They both seemed to like the privacy and yet be in college. It also was less expensive than any other option they looked at.
Depending what they are going for. Knights crossing when I was there was $4-500 per person. So $2000 a month. If close to that it’s better to get 3 friends and get a house.

ADVERTISEMENT