ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Women's World Cup starts today

KnighttimeJoe

Todd's Tiki Bar
May 29, 2001
We finally can see a national team that actually qualified for a World effing Cup, unlike our shitty, pathetic men.

BTW: the ladies need to be paid correctly. Total horseshit that they, you know, actually perform and kick the shit out of the rest of the world while our men set soccer back 10 years because they can't beat teams from countries with populations smaller than Orange county.

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...-national-womens-soccer-team-is-suing/585202/

We finally can see a national team that actually qualified for a World effing Cup, unlike our shitty, pathetic men.

BTW: the ladies need to be paid correctly. Total horseshit that they, you know, actually perform and kick the shit out of the rest of the world while our men set soccer back 10 years because they can't beat teams from countries with populations smaller than Orange county.

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...-national-womens-soccer-team-is-suing/585202/
The article references pay disparity between the NBA and the WNBA without also referencing the amount of money generated by each league. Of course there’s disparity in pay when one business brings in tons of money and another struggles to find revenue at all.

Tennis would be a better example, where looking at the raw data shows the top 100 females make 80 cents to the top 100 males dollar. But even that is an overgeneralization as the earning power of tennis players is largely driven by personality and charisma and not gender.

I’d like to see what the viewing, sponsorship, and endorsement numbers are between the men’s and women’s national teams before we frame this as a clear-cut injustice.

The article references pay disparity between the NBA and the WNBA without also referencing the amount of money generated by each league. Of course there’s disparity in pay when one business brings in tons of money and another struggles to find revenue at all.

Tennis would be a better example, where looking at the raw data shows the top 100 females make 80 cents to the top 100 males dollar. But even that is an overgeneralization as the earning power of tennis players is largely driven by personality and charisma and not gender.

I’d like to see what the viewing, sponsorship, and endorsement numbers are between the men’s and women’s national teams before we frame this as a clear-cut injustice.

LMAO. It's kind of hard to compare what the viewing, sponsorship, and endorsement numbers are for the USA men’s team WHEN THEY DIDN'T QUALIFY FOR THE GOT DAMN WORLD CUP. SMH.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
LMAO. It's kind of hard to compare what the viewing, sponsorship, and endorsement numbers are for the USA men’s team WHEN THEY DIDN'T QUALIFY FOR THE GOT DAMN WORLD CUP. SMH.
That’s a good point. But they play friendlies and qualifiers and have plenty of gear out for purchase. It’s not like they don’t exist or don’t bring in revenue because they don’t make the World Cup.

im a big fan of womens soccer. been watching for years and have been to a game. if im not mistaken, a company recently said they would bridge the pay gap so the women would be paid the same as the men.

for me, i think us soccer needs to step up and pay them equally. i think they will in the future. however its not apples to apples. men generally dont get paid much for the usmnt duty vs what they make from their clubs. in fact the women, uswnt players and female soccer players in general get paid differently. us soccer actually subsidizes the uswnt players club pay. the nwsl doesnt actually pay alex morgan at all. us soccer pays her nwsl salary and uswnt salary in a combined pay.

you also have to realize that us soccer decided to fold uswnt/usmnt tv contracts as well as world cup coverage all together. so we really cant find the numbers on how they break down. we can look up tv viewership numbers for the various games, but its hard to figure out what each group is making based on those numbers.

one thing they dont talk about is the other various disparities between uswnt and usmnt. the men generally charter all their flights. the women normally fly commercial with a few exceptions. that needs to change. i believe us soccer is working to fix that. also the mens team almost never plays on artificial turf. they almost always play on natural grass. alot of the womens games are play on artificial turf. now part of that is actually the fault of fifa. seems like this problem can be fixed in the future.

My wife and I are huge tennis fans and she refuses to watch women's tennis because it's boring, they pathetically play best of 3, and men's tennis is infinitely more entertaining. The fact that you have matches in the US Open or Wimbledon taking less than a frigging hour is pathetic. Meanwhile you have some men's matches going over 5 hours as we just had in the French Open.

So yea, they're paid less because people generally don't want to watch women's tennis, it's boring, and they play a modified kid's game compared to men. Yet you still have Woke SJWs like Serena Williams out there acting like she's a victim after every match she plays.

That’s a good point. But they play friendlies and qualifiers and have plenty of gear out for purchase. It’s not like they don’t exist or don’t bring in revenue because they don’t make the World Cup.

True. I’m still of the mindset that results matter and the men have merited nothing. I know, economics, demand, ratings, blah blah.

My wife and I are huge tennis fans and she refuses to watch women's tennis because it's boring, they pathetically play best of 3, and men's tennis is infinitely more entertaining. The fact that you have matches in the US Open or Wimbledon taking less than a frigging hour is pathetic. Meanwhile you have some men's matches going over 5 hours as we just had in the French Open.

So yea, they're paid less because people generally don't want to watch women's tennis, it's boring, and they play a modified kid's game compared to men. Yet you still have Woke SJWs like Serena Williams out there acting like she's a victim after every match she plays.

Opposite for me. Males are hitting so hard there is almost no back and forth

Opposite for me. Males are hitting so hard there is almost no back and forth

Huh? Have you been watching the French Open? There have been some truly epic rallies that lasted 15-25 shots in some instances. They hit harder but they also return a lot better. There's only a few guys out there that can really play the power serve game right now and they're not at the top of the game.

True. I’m still of the mindset that results matter and the men have merited nothing. I know, economics, demand, ratings, blah blah.
I agree that it would be great if you made more money in athletics by winning in your sport. By the money isn’t there for the athletic achievements, it’s there for the entertainment value.

Of course, there is one way that women that wanted to make more money could do so rather quickly; that is to compete in the men’s division. I’m guessing they’d get paid pretty damn well if they made the men’s team or any men’s club team around the world. Think of the crowds that would gather.

Huh? Have you been watching the French Open? There have been some truly epic rallies that lasted 15-25 shots in some instances. They hit harder but they also return a lot better. There's only a few guys out there that can really play the power serve game right now and they're not at the top of the game.
Haha, you picked the clay court for your argument. How long are the rallies at Wimbledon or the US Open?

Haha, you picked the clay court for your argument. How long are the rallies at Wimbledon or the US Open?

Uh yea, it's being played as we speak so it's kinda the most relevant.

Long rallies happen literally every tournament. Here are some of the best from Wimbledon last year which also included a 24 shot rally between Nadal and Djokavich. The difference is that the men's rallies usually extend by someone playing insane defense and returning really hard shots. Often the women get into rallies simply because they're hitting shots right back at eachother and neither can get enough juice on the ball to get it past.

At the beginning of the article it says they play more games than the men. So of course they’re going to make less than the men per game. I’d be interested to see the difference between yearly compensation between the men and women

Side note: I’ve just about lost all interest in the men’s team. First we miss the World Cup in 2016, and now the team looks like dog shit under the new coach. Just lost to damn Venezuela 3-0 today.

At the beginning of the article it says they play more games than the men. So of course they’re going to make less than the men per game. I’d be interested to see the difference between yearly compensation between the men and women

Side note: I’ve just about lost all interest in the men’s team. First we miss the World Cup in 2016, and now the team looks like dog shit under the new coach. Just lost to damn Venezuela 3-0 today.

Maybe they’ll all mass defect after kicking our teams ass?

Pretty pathetic.

I wont be watching the colin kaepernick womens team protest an anthem of the country that gives them more rights than any country in the tournament. Bunch of bums

Many of the best women in the world play in the NWSL...let alone some of the best known players are on the Orlando Pride (Alex Morgan, Marta, Sydney Leroux, Ali Kreger and others)...yet only 2 teams draw more than 5,380 fans per game.

Heck, there are already rumors that the Orlando Pride may not exist much longer (major money drain on Orlando City) unless the NWSL can get a HUGE boost from this year's WC.

NOTE: Pride are dead last in this small 9 team league...as they are 0-7-1 with just 1 pt.

i dont think the uswnt are good enough to win it this year, but i will still be watching. definitely not a fan of rapinoe and her kneeling. unfortunately shes one of their best players so they cant bench her.

Just to return to tennis for a moment, this weekend the French Open had crazy weather so they decided to have the women's semi-finals start at 10 am local time and they were played on smaller side courts to leave center court for the men at the pre-arranged times. Why? Because they pre-sold the men's matches on a stand alone basis and were charging upwards of 300-500 Euros for some seats whereas they could not give tickets away for the women's matches.

And the Joker vs. Thiem match was amazing and I'm glad that whiny bitch Joker lost.

Fans have stopped attending even WNBA games like they once did.

In 1998, WNBA averaged close to 11,000 fans per game...while the WNBA hasn't even averaged 8,000 fans per game since 2009. Heck, even their team who use to play in the World's Most Famous Arena, NY Liberty, had to move 30 miles north to play in a community arena in White Plains, NY.

ESPN's recent TV deal with the WNBA was for $25 Million per season. Meanwhile, the NBA has a $24 BILLION TV deal with 3 networks over 9 seasons.

Of course the $$$ for most men's leagues vs women's league are of great disparity...as outside of Women's Tennis...there just isn't much of an audience (at least compared to men's leagues) for most women sports. (Its not their fault...as they really shouldn't be compared with each other....as the market will set the salaries/rates).

Last edited:
also men generally make the bulk of their pay from their club team vs country. however for us soccer, women make their bulk from the country, and very little for their club.

the pay will never be truly equal, and it shouldnt be.

13-0 win last night. Thats more goals than the men's team has scored combined in all of their wc appearance .

13-0 win last night. Thats more goals than the men's team has scored combined in all of their wc appearance .
Let me know how the men do the next time they play a country that played it’s first tournament game ever in 2015.

Let me know how the men do the next time they play a country that played it’s first tournament game ever in 2015.

I didn't find 13-0 to be impressive, I found it to be rather pathetic that a team is somehow in the WC that can actually lose a game to the tune of 13-0.

This is like when you have Women's March Madness scores along the lines of 90-30.

13 colonies, 13 goals! hell yea way to go ladies! idk why people were complaining about the girls celebrating the later goals. wtf is this pc crap? if it were a friendly i would understand, but this is the wc. you play to win the game

An impressive accomplishment...….until you realize the US women were favored by EIGHT goals in a soccer game!!! :flushed:

13 colonies, 13 goals! hell yea way to go ladies! idk why people were complaining about the girls celebrating the later goals. wtf is this pc crap? if it were a friendly i would understand, but this is the wc. you play to win the game

The fact that this is even an "issue" in the WC makes this WC somewhat of a joke. This is supposed to be a showcase for the elite teams in the world and yet the debate today is whether we should call excessive celebration on our women's team.

Reactions: UCFWayne
marc daniels had a great take this morning. apparently the canadian tv version of espn, tsn, had a panel of talking about how it was terrible how we continued to score and celebrate those goals. how they wanted to go hug the thailand players. he wonders if they felt the same way when the canadian womens team destroyed the slovakian team 18-0 and then another team 12-0 the next game. lol what a bunch of hypocrites.

My take .... this is the World Cup. Whoever organizes this thing is the problem. They shouldn't take teams like Thailand into the tournament if they are going to get smoked that bad.

You don't see a High School team in the NFL playoffs.

Reactions: UCFWayne
My take .... this is the World Cup. Whoever organizes this thing is the problem. They shouldn't take teams like Thailand into the tournament if they are going to get smoked that bad.

As painful as that would be to watch, i would still kind of like to see a couple of series of that kind of matchup.

Reactions: DuvalKnight

You've always had these scenarios in international competition. The point of international competition has always been the experience and not the parity.

It's not until we've decided to turn all sports into entertainment properties that we've lost the original point.

marc daniels had a great take this morning. apparently the canadian tv version of espn, tsn, had a panel of talking about how it was terrible how we continued to score and celebrate those goals. how they wanted to go hug the thailand players. he wonders if they felt the same way when the canadian womens team destroyed the slovakian team 18-0 and then another team 12-0 the next game. lol what a bunch of hypocrites.

Maybe they should reserve their outrage for the Canadian fans in Toronto who loudly cheered for Durant's injury as he was helped off the court?

Is it just me or is soccer really tough to watch? And I even like baseball that is slow. MLS games aren't terrible in person, but even those I lose interest.

Is it just me or is soccer really tough to watch? And I even like baseball that is slow. MLS games aren't terrible in person, but even those I lose interest.
I'm not really into soccer anymore, but I will say that when you understand the strategy that goes in to the game it becomes a lot more interesting to watch.

Yeah, our soccer men may regularly get the sh*t kicked out of them on the world stage, but they are much faster that our soccer women. Yay, guys!
the ladies often play in closed scrimmages against our boys teams as warm ups for their matches. remember that our women are literally the best in the world. so if they go to kansas city, they will get the local boys under 14, 15 and 16 teams together. the women regularly beat the u14 teams. they have competitive games with the u15 teams. they normally lose to the u16 teams.

the best womens team in the world would lose to a boys under 16 team in a country that doesnt even care about soccer. thats not even the best boys u16 from across the country either. thats just a local group. a team that wouldnt even be ranked in the world standings. and that is why their pay will never be as good.

Reactions: fabknight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT