ADVERTISEMENT

OT:World Cup

Will you be watching?

It’s a hard no for me. The U.S. isn’t in it.
yes i will be watching but it will be hard. i will be rooting for iceland and peru. peru because ocsc's player yotun. iceland becuase its just insane that a country that small could qualify for the wc.

i think we might see brazil v portugal in the final

I'm not very interested at all. Bummer too. World Cup is usually one of my favorite sports tournaments to watch.

France is beyond loaded. As long as they don’t headbutt anybody, they’re favorites for me.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Best Fox World Cup TV Promo I saw was one dude asking another, "Who will you be cheering for in the WC?"

2nd dude answers: "England."

Dude #1: "After England loses, who will you then cheer for?"
--------------------

L0L!!

GO Germany!!!

It really sucks. I’m not a soccer fan. The only time I ever watch is when the U.S. is playing in the World Cup.

They never fail to disappoint.

It really sucks. I’m not a soccer fan. The only time I ever watch is when the U.S. is playing in the World Cup.

They never fail to disappoint.

They set soccer back at least 10 years in this country. With all the CTE stuff with football, it would have been a perfect time to capitalize. Alas, they couldn’t beat fourth world countries.

They set soccer back at least 10 years in this country. With all the CTE stuff with football, it would have been a perfect time to capitalize. Alas, they couldn’t beat fourth world countries.

Think about how Fox feels. They shelled out an absolute fortune to televise this in the US and now hardly anyone is going to care or watch.

Reactions: KnighttimeJoe
I'll try to follow but I think the time zone difference isn't going to help interest in the U.S. along with the obvious of the U.S. team not qualifying

They didn't set soccer back 10 years in this country. MLS is doing pretty well to pick up the slack. It's a lot more stable now than it has been.

Maybe there will actually be change in US Soccer now too. Maybe.

They didn't set soccer back 10 years in this country. MLS is doing pretty well to pick up the slack. It's a lot more stable now than it has been.

Well, going 8 years between World Cup games in this country isn't exactly positive. It's also the only time many people in the US pay attention to the game. So, going damn near a decade without any games like that on a worldwide stage will hurt the sport. Sorry.

The MLS is still a minor league. The World Cup is when America as a whole actually recognizes that soccer exists- if the US is playing.

This is a huge set back for MLS too.

The MLS is still a minor league. The World Cup is when America as a whole actually recognizes that soccer exists- if the US is playing.

This is a huge set back for MLS too.

I'm not going to get into this again.

Dude- you surely can’t argue that the US not having a team in the WC is a huge set back for soccer in America?

I do think it is a set back but it's not as big of a set back if it were to happen in 2002 or even 2006.

The sport, whether you like it or not, is stable here.

In all honestly, for cities that have MLS teams, going to an MLS game will have more of an impact than the WC. For the nation as a whole though, it sucks but I'm not sure how many "new fans" they'd even get. Not like the USA was going to go far this year anyway, even if they did get in.

I do think it is a set back but it's not as big of a set back if it were to happen in 2002 or even 2006.

The sport, whether you like it or not, is stable here.

In all honestly, for cities that have MLS teams, going to an MLS game will have more of an impact than the WC. For the nation as a whole though, it sucks but I'm not sure how many "new fans" they'd even get. Not like the USA was going to go far this year anyway, even if they did get in.
while i think most of this is true for the mls cities, its important to realize that mls still has big regional holes. the loss of the world cup is hard to gauge but there was always a significant bump in mls tv and attendance post world cups. even if the usmnt didnt get far, it had a huge impact on the growth of the sport each cycle.

mls will continue its slow but steady growth. the biggest thing for mls will be the 2022 season and the negotiations of the next media rights deal. i can see a pretty big increase in interest in 2023 when they have actual money to put into rosters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT