ADVERTISEMENT

Our fans taking the fun out the run

SCKnight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
We had a good run. two nearly perfect years. Something that has rarely been done in all of college football. And it was done by UCF. A program that has almost no history and little resources. It culminated in a controversial national championship claim that galvanized the fanbase in its ability to support this thing that garners so much national snark. In short UCF fans were able to relish the outsider role and make it their own.

Yet now instead of enjoying a run that was exceptional, our fans want to make it ordinary. Rather than embrace that the last two years was amazing and understand that we are subject to ups and downs like every other team, our fans are becoming what they had previously detested, which is the entitled mentality of the Bamas and UFs of the world. Talk of firing a second year coach and calling out players because we will have a less than desirable season after two incredible years of wins. This mentality is taking the joy out of the run and making UCF look really bad. For a while there I was really enjoying our "us against the world" mentality. I guess for some that only counts when you are winning everything. Now you turn on your own. Everyone can have their opinion, but for me I am ashamed of some of the reactions.

guys chill. As long as the culture holds up, we'll be fine. Seriously, this is what differentiates UCF football. It's all about family and playing for your brothers.

I'll be pleased if we can close strong and finish with 10 wins. Anything less is a disappointment when you consider the talent and big-game experience on this roster compared to the competition they face. In retrospect the schedule this year is softer than I thought it would be. Stanford and Houston were tabbed as marquee games but both have been way worse than expected. Cincy really looks like the only very good (not elite) team on the schedule.

Say what you want. We shouldn’t be losing to Tulsa even with a freshman QB, now with SOME experience

Mike - gonna disagree with you. Tulsa balled. We got outplayed.

In fairness, between the cold, and the pathetic environment, the players prolly got lulled to sleep and didn't bring their 'A' game.

Personally, I think there is a strength and conditioning issue at play on both lines. I think the kids diets have gone back to pre-Frost shit levels - i.e. burgers, fries, sugary drinks.

Reactions: ahabmw
I'll be pleased if we can close strong and finish with 10 wins. Anything less is a disappointment when you consider the talent and big-game experience on this roster compared to the competition they face. In retrospect the schedule this year is softer than I thought it would be. Stanford and Houston were tabbed as marquee games but both have been way worse than expected. Cincy really looks like the only very good (not elite) team on the schedule.
Yeah. The schedule is definitely weaker than anticipated. If only one play wouldn't have happened against USF last year.....oh, what could have been.... oh well, that's life and you deal with what you have in front of you.

In fairness, between the cold, and the pathetic environment, the players probably got lulled to sleep and didn't bring their 'A' game.

Personally, I think there is a strength and conditioning issue at play on both lines. I think the kids diets have gone back to pre-Frost shit levels - i.e. burgers, fries, sugary drinks.
.....more likely Dunkin Donuts and coffee. To be serious, they just aren't as good and maybe we don't have quality depth yet. On the OL, 4 of the 5 guys starting were the backups to the guys in 2017/2018 and the current backups are even less experienced: RSSo, RSFr, Fr, RSSo, and RSSr. It was their turn to step up and they just aren't as good. Let's be honest, having a heisman-level QB out there makes a difference as well. It makes the defense have to defend a lot more stuff.

The defense has had even more churn. There is a lot of younger, inexperienced talent playing in the front 7 on D as well. 4 of the 7 starters from last year graduated (Titus Davis, AJ Wooten, Joey Connors, Jasinski). Several other key backups graduated or left as well (Trysten Hill, Aaron Cochran, and Gabe Luyanda).

The good news for next season is as of right now we only have 11 guys that are graduating/leaving (I'm including Gabe Davis in this number). Plus we get Bam back. Last year we had around 20 people graduate/leave early.

Last edited:

In fairness, between the cold, and the pathetic environment, the players prolly got lulled to sleep and didn't bring their 'A' game.

That’s on the coaches then. I’ve heard this 2-3 times now

We're still on a good run....we can still win 10 games when the season is all said and done.

Just need to go 1-0. Next up after the bye week, a good Tulane team. Still having a great overall season. Seniors like AK have much more to say, and he just starting to get rolling.

Let's see how this team and UCF family responds. Do we fold like a lawn chair and start pointing fingers? Or rather, rise above the adversity like a championship caliber team should do.

Just need to go 1-0. Next up after the bye week, a good Tulane team. Still having a great overall season. Seniors like AK have much more to say, and he just starting to get rolling.

Let's see how this team and UCF family responds. Do we fold like a lawn chair and start pointing fingers? Or rather, rise above the adversity like a championship caliber team should do.
AK has looked faster lately. Too bad the run was called back

what is worrying me is the players fighting now

Back in my day, you just drank and slept on the concrete stands after UCF lost their 15th in a row, only to be awaken one day by gunshots and a win over Marshall. We then drunkenly plummeted to the field to remove the big yellow things that no UCF fan even remembered were there until someone shouted that we should steal the giant triple stripper pole.

Back in my day, you just drank and slept on the concrete stands after UCF lost their 15th in a row, only to be awaken one day by gunshots and a win over Marshall. We then drunkenly plummeted to the field to remove the big yellow things that no UCF fan even remembered were there until someone shouted that we should steal the giant triple stripper pole.
I’m definitely tailgating harder and drinking more. That’s what you do when you lose. Do other things outside of football and enjoy the experience on Gameday. Extend the tailgate, grill more good food, buy shots, see the band pregame, etc

Was SCKnight one of the GOL nuthuggers? If it was up to those guys the 2017 and 2018 runs would have never happened.
Yes. There are a few here. I converted. Basically thanked GOL for his contributions to UCF football, but should have retired after the fiesta bowl

what is worrying me is the players fighting now

Nate got a little amped up trying to express his leadership. The interview I watched, I think he good now, and posted something on twitter apologizing. He and Kenny hugged it out. The players have no beef.

Let's see how this defense responds. Good opportunity during the bye for Nate to develop his leadership skills.

Reactions: Ucfmikes

Have to disagree with you. Those aren’t good excuses.

Back in my day we had the Slack Attack offense with 5 wideouts and Mean Gene McDowell and Mike Gun Slinger Kruzceck . If you grew up liking UCF in the 80s it was a different era here in Florida. We were as rag tag as you could get. Facilities stunk , the citrus bowl while sucked, at least we were not Valdosta State and played in a high school stadium off of I-75. Yet, Valdosta State was then and still is a power program in their Division.

I remember the pain of losing to Georgia Southern a time or two. So, yah Mikesi, some of us have this called perspective. I would have loved a trip to Dallas this year and be undefeated. None of it happened and least we forget, we too are playing a QB who is just 18 years old. We are at 7-3 and 10 wins is possible. If KZ doesn't get hurt in Tampa, I firmly believe we are undefeated and pissed off that the stupid committee has us at 7 or 8 this year.

We don't have a foundation yet and we don't have the money like UF. A 10 win season is something important to play for because over time those matter and to show a recruit interested in say playing for UF that he can play here too and we win , we are on TV and we send players to the NFL, well that's something important.

I live in Western North Carolina so frankly a bowl game in December in Tampa ain't half bad for me to go too. Lol. Besides, my son is a MK and I will go to any bowl to support not only my team, but the marching Knight's and my kid.

Have to disagree with you. Those aren’t good excuses.

That's just my speculation by the way. I have no knowledge that diets have gone to shit. I just know Frost was a fanatic about it. Each player got different suppliments and protein regiment. Lean body mass. When I look at the guys on the line today, I see mass sluggishness. Explanation - diet??

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Back in my day we had the Slack Attack offense with 5 wideouts and Mean Gene McDowell and Mike Gun Slinger Kruzceck . If you grew up liking UCF in the 80s it was a different era here in Florida. We were as rag tag as you could get. Facilities stunk , the citrus bowl while sucked, at least we were not Valdosta State and played in a high school stadium off of I-75. Yet, Valdosta State was then and still is a power program in their Division.

I remember the pain of losing to Georgia Southern a time or two. So, yah Mikesi, some of us have this called perspective. I would have loved a trip to Dallas this year and be undefeated. None of it happened and least we forget, we too are playing a QB who is just 18 years old. We are at 7-3 and 10 wins is possible. If KZ doesn't get hurt in Tampa, I firmly believe we are undefeated and pissed off that the stupid committee has us at 7 or 8 this year.

We don't have a foundation yet and we don't have the money like UF. A 10 win season is something important to play for because over time those matter and to show a recruit interested in say playing for UF that he can play here too and we win , we are on TV and we send players to the NFL, well that's something important.

I live in Western North Carolina so frankly a bowl game in December in Tampa ain't half bad for me to go too. Lol. Besides, my son is a MK and I will go to any bowl to support not only my team, but the marching Knight's and my kid.
I’m still a fan obviously and support my team and enjoy going to a bowl game, but I’m still not going to be complacent with losing to Tulsa

Yes. There are a few here. I converted. Basically thanked GOL for his contributions to UCF football, but should have retired after the fiesta bowl
That's on Hitt and Company for extending him. He wanted to to retire. To use the ageless adage, buy low and sell high. We got GOL for nothing and could have cashed in big after 2013 but instead we got greedy, and as they say when you get too greedy with the stock market, "pigs get slaughtered". Thankfully, we hit pay dirt and hired "the best AD in America...America's AD, DW." He has really stepped up everything having to do with the athletics department, including better coaching talent. As they say, adapt or die, and one thing we have going for us is that we have always been adaptable as a program.

Reactions: ahabmw and Ucfmikes
DG has elite level QB skills that are only going to get better, and we will get our line problems resolved. We're desperately missing an edge speed guy like Bruce Miller/Titus Davis. It changes the entire dynamics of the defensive line.

Overall, as long as we stick together, next year could be another magical season and we'll be right in the mix again for NY6 with both flyin' Hawaiian's balling for UCF.

Reactions: ahabmw and Ucfmikes
That's on Hitt and Company for extending him. He wanted to to retire. To use the ageless adage, buy low and sell high. We got GOL for nothing and could have cashed in big after 2013 but instead we got greedy, and as they say when you get too greedy with the stock market, "pigs get slaughtered". Thankfully, we hit pay dirt and hired "the best AD in America...America's AD, DW." He has really stepped up everything having to do with the athletics department, including better coaching talent. As they say, adapt or die, and one thing we have going for us is that we have always been adaptable as a program.
Who was going to be hired after 2013? Was it Key at that time too? If it was it didn’t matter in long run which guy was HC. Same results.

Who was going to be hired after 2013? Was it Key at that time too? If it was it didn’t matter in long run which guy was HC. Same results.

yes Key was HC in waiting if I recall correctly. I think there was something in his contract that paid him out when he didn’t get the HC title

I’m still a fan obviously and support my team and enjoy going to a bowl game, but I’m still not going to be complacent with losing to Tulsa

Nor should you. Tulsa played better than their record suggests and we played worse than our record suggests. Part of me says psychology plays a roll in this . Players might think ,hey it's only Tulsa and they are like 2 and 7. We got this. That will bite you in the ass a lot of times. Coaching should prevent that.

I try to keep perspective on it all though..it's just a game these are young people and yes it's my alma matter and all and I am very proud that my son is at UCF, but life doesn't always go our way. This year ain't our year. I do think and I have expectations though that next year could be our year and that's why finishing strong is important. The Tulsa loss is like a bitter piece of rancid taco flavor stuck in our mouths. We knew we should not go to taco Bell but we did and now it's there for a while.

Nor should you. Tulsa played better than their record suggests and we played worse than our record suggests. Part of me says psychology plays a roll in this . Players might think ,hey it's only Tulsa and they are like 2 and 7. We got this. That will bite you in the ass a lot of times. Coaching should prevent that.

I try to keep perspective on it all though..it's just a game these are young people and yes it's my alma matter and all and I am very proud that my son is at UCF, but life doesn't always go our way. This year ain't our year. I do think and I have expectations though that next year could be our year and that's why finishing strong is important. The Tulsa loss is like a bitter piece of rancid taco flavor stuck in our mouths. We knew we should not go to taco Bell but we did and now it's there for a while.

Overall, I'm good with the season so far. Kids played reasonably well against Tulsa. Not to say there aren't things to work on in the bye. There certainly are.

Tulsa was 0-5 in conference , and they were a bit more hungry for a dub. Their so-called back up QB (who was last year's starter) came in and balled. Give them credit , they played a good ball game and schemed UCF well. Wrong team, wrong time to get that matchup under those circumstances.

Overall, I'm good with the season so far. Kids played reasonably well against Tulsa. Not to say there aren't things to work on in the bye. There certainly are.

Tulsa was 0-5 in conference , and they were a bit more hungry for a dub. Their so-called back up QB (who was last year's starter) came in and balled. Give them credit , they played a good ball game and schemed UCF well. Wrong team, wrong time to get that matchup under those circumstances.
If we win the rest it was a good season. Pre Christmas Bowl will make the Bowl season seem awfully long.

That's just my speculation by the way. I have no knowledge that diets have gone to shit. I just know Frost was a fanatic about it. Each player got different suppliments and protein regiment. Lean body mass. When I look at the guys on the line today, I see mass sluggishness. Explanation - diet??
That’s a good observation. so they aren’t using that nutrition center that Frost pushed for? Maybe Ellerbe is all meat and potatoes with no attention to detail. That was one of my favorite changes after Frost got hired, Sentinel had a few articles on it

this is an actual example of taking on the ‘personality’ of the HC , Frost stayed in borderline playing shape pushing 40 and would work out with the players.

This mentality is taking the joy out of the run and making UCF look really bad. For a while there I was really enjoying our "us against the world" mentality. I guess for some that only counts when you are winning everything.
Losing to Tulsa is making us look bad. Not being spoiled about winning all the time. Every successful team’s fanbase is spoiled if you’re not, it’s a losing mentality IMO

We no longer have an us against the world mentality. That’s for G5 teams that are winning, so I guess you are right. We were in a class by ourselves. Nobody cares about a loser figuratively speaking, or instead of being elite and out there on an island, just thrown in there with the other good G5 teams

Complacency is being OK with where you are at. I don’t have to like it or accept it. I tasted “Filet Mignon.” Took trips to all 3 NY6 bowls. Enjoyed every minute of it. Even losing was OK, because we made it there.

I’m not going to apologize for not wanting “ground beef” although I’ll eat it. I don’t have to accept it or like it

We can’t win them all. I get Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. I’m also ok with 1-2 losses. Maybe even 3 if the teams are good. Losing to Tulsa when they have 2 wins is no bueno

Last edited:
That’s a good observation. so they aren’t using that nutrition center that Frost pushed for? Maybe Ellerbe is all meat and potatoes with no attention to detail. That was one of my favorite changes after Frost got hired, Sentinel had a few articles on it

this is an actual example of taking on the ‘personality’ of the HC , Frost stayed in borderline playing shape pushing 40 and would work out with the players.

I liked that factor. Not sure if there's anything to it. What would be the harm, though, in this offseason if Heupel said you know what I'm going to give myself a nutrition and exercise regimen like we give our players (tailored to his age and situation, of course) and be my best physically as well? I'd be impressed if my coach did that and stuck with it.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Why has DW been so quiet? Don’t hear him saying, “you can’t win them all. Sometimes you get tripped up by a team like Tulsa.”

Why isn’t he saying anything????

Because he wants to win them all. He’s not happy. He may accept it, but he hates it

We had a good run. two nearly perfect years. Something that has rarely been done in all of college football. And it was done by UCF. A program that has almost no history and little resources. It culminated in a controversial national championship claim that galvanized the fanbase in its ability to support this thing that garners so much national snark. In short UCF fans were able to relish the outsider role and make it their own.

Yet now instead of enjoying a run that was exceptional, our fans want to make it ordinary. Rather than embrace that the last two years was amazing and understand that we are subject to ups and downs like every other team, our fans are becoming what they had previously detested, which is the entitled mentality of the Bamas and UFs of the world. Talk of firing a second year coach and calling out players because we will have a less than desirable season after two incredible years of wins. This mentality is taking the joy out of the run and making UCF look really bad. For a while there I was really enjoying our "us against the world" mentality. I guess for some that only counts when you are winning everything. Now you turn on your own. Everyone can have their opinion, but for me I am ashamed of some of the reactions.

Hypocritical d!ck.

ADVERTISEMENT