ADVERTISEMENT

Our fans taking the fun out the run

We had a good run. two nearly perfect years. Something that has rarely been done in all of college football. And it was done by UCF. A program that has almost no history and little resources. It culminated in a controversial national championship claim that galvanized the fanbase in its ability to support this thing that garners so much national snark. In short UCF fans were able to relish the outsider role and make it their own.

Yet now instead of enjoying a run that was exceptional, our fans want to make it ordinary. Rather than embrace that the last two years was amazing and understand that we are subject to ups and downs like every other team, our fans are becoming what they had previously detested, which is the entitled mentality of the Bamas and UFs of the world. Talk of firing a second year coach and calling out players because we will have a less than desirable season after two incredible years of wins. This mentality is taking the joy out of the run and making UCF look really bad. For a while there I was really enjoying our "us against the world" mentality. I guess for some that only counts when you are winning everything. Now you turn on your own. Everyone can have their opinion, but for me I am ashamed of some of the reactions.

There is a very fine line between opposing opinions and making things personal on any board.......I don't understand why some attempt to censor the views of fellow fans on this board......open and candid discussion is the key focus here.......stating opposing opinions is fine..... calling out or shaming fans for stating their views is not the same

He’s a cool dude. I just laughed it off. It was funny

It just seems so counter to everything that has been reported regarding the opening of the nutrition center, the new weight facility and all the posts/pics regarding S&C

It just seems so counter to everything that has been reported regarding the opening of the nutrition center, the new weight facility and all the posts/pics regarding S&C
I think that their diets are better than ever. I did notice that some of the offensive linemen looked a little soft, but when you’re 300 lbs and 19-20, it takes time

Why has DW been so quiet? Don’t hear him saying, “you can’t win them all. Sometimes you get tripped up by a team like Tulsa.”

Why isn’t he saying anything????

Because he wants to win them all. He’s not happy. He may accept it, but he hates it
He is either being an internet troll that tucks and runs after all his talk has backfired quickly or he is pissed at Heup

Reactions: GoKnights2003
He is either being an internet troll that tucks and runs after all his talk has backfired quickly or he is pissed at Heup
Probably a little of both, although I doubt he’s TOTALLY pissed, I do think he’s monitoring the situation as he should be. I don’t expect him to be all over Twitter. That’s understandable Nobody is that bold.

Last edited:
We had a good run. two nearly perfect years. Something that has rarely been done in all of college football. And it was done by UCF. A program that has almost no history and little resources. It culminated in a controversial national championship claim that galvanized the fanbase in its ability to support this thing that garners so much national snark. In short UCF fans were able to relish the outsider role and make it their own.

Yet now instead of enjoying a run that was exceptional, our fans want to make it ordinary. Rather than embrace that the last two years was amazing and understand that we are subject to ups and downs like every other team, our fans are becoming what they had previously detested, which is the entitled mentality of the Bamas and UFs of the world. Talk of firing a second year coach and calling out players because we will have a less than desirable season after two incredible years of wins. This mentality is taking the joy out of the run and making UCF look really bad. For a while there I was really enjoying our "us against the world" mentality. I guess for some that only counts when you are winning everything. Now you turn on your own. Everyone can have their opinion, but for me I am ashamed of some of the reactions.
Well said man!! Take it in true UCF fan, we’re experiencing the Golden Age of UCF football. Savor it and enjoy it. Not many programs have ever been on a run like we have these last two years. The future is still bright!!

LSU lost to Troy, now look at em. They know what program they are and should NEVER accept a loss to Troy, Im sure they were livid about it.

My point is to become that premiere team you have to aspire for and expect longevity and continued success. We don't ever accept losing to 2 win teams at this state in the program and neither should any respectable program.

I was actually ok with the losses to Pitt and CIncy because they were somewhat on our level, but last week NO not acceptable.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Probably a little of both, although I doubt he’s TOTALLY pissed, I do think he’s monitoring the situation as he should be. I don’t expect him to be all over Twitter. That’s understandable Nobody is that bold.

On a slightly different note, I gotta believe that there is a staff member who is part of the athletic department media relations/social media team that is monitoring and reporting back

LSU lost to Troy, now look at em. They know what program they are and should NEVER accept a loss to Troy, Im sure they were livid about it.

My point is to become that premiere team you have to aspire for and expect longevity and continued success. We don't ever accept losing to 2 win teams at this state in the program and neither should any respectable program.

I was actually ok with the losses to Pitt and CIncy because they were somewhat on our level, but last week NO not acceptable.
Well said. We will NOT accept that.

Reactions: Endeavor.
yes Key was HC in waiting if I recall correctly. I think there was something in his contract that paid him out when he didn’t get the HC title
GOL wanted to retire and name DonKey his successor after the Fiesta. He was told no because DonKey had only ever been a position coach up until then (and GOL's pet). So a secret HCIW contract for DonKey was signed along with GOL's contract extension. It's no secret that many of the players and some of the old staff hated DonKey. You guys know the rest.

I will be surprised if fans would turn on CJH in two years if he was working with DG after losing every player from the 2017-2018 run. In that case sure we should be expecting a down year or two. With the experienced talent we have right now, this is the wrong time.
And another thing, the past is over. This isnt 1990 or 2000. We have a budget. We look more like a program than ever before. Obviously, there's a fanbase that secretly wants to go back to being a MAC like team, perhaps reducing funds to football programs like some MAC programs did. Its not going to happen.
IF that was the case, UCF would never move to FBS. They moved here for money and with that (especially from outside the looking glass) we need to win.,
Bama fans don't talk about the days they lost to UCF in 2000 and how far they've come from that. They fired their coach.
Maybe we shouldve kept Coach Kruczek because firing him turns us into the very same fanbase we hate.
I'm done with the excuses that we had no proper program. We didnt have money and the office were makesift and we almost beat Georgia on the road.
Now we have millions and we still can't beat Tulsa on the road...a two-win team nonetheless.

I will be surprised if fans would turn on CJH in two years if he was working with DG after losing every player from the 2017-2018 run. In that case sure we should be expecting a down year or two. With the experienced talent we have right now, this is the wrong time.
And another thing, the past is over. This isnt 1990 or 2000. We have a budget. We look more like a program than ever before. Obviously, there's a fanbase that secretly wants to go back to being a MAC like team, perhaps reducing funds to football programs like some MAC programs did. Its not going to happen.
IF that was the case, UCF would never move to FBS. They moved here for money and with that (especially from outside the looking glass) we need to win.,
Bama fans don't talk about the days they lost to UCF in 2000 and how far they've come from that. They fired their coach.
Maybe we shouldve kept Coach Kruczek because firing him turns us into the very same fanbase we hate.
I'm done with the excuses that we had no proper program. We didnt have money and the office were makesift and we almost beat Georgia on the road.
Now we have millions and we still can't beat Tulsa on the road...a two-win team nonetheless.
It’s obvious that there’s an extreme old school “grateful just to be here” mentality and a new school mentality. Then there’s the more dynamic in between mentality, which is refreshingly in your post and a few others. Appreciate the past, but that’s what it is. The past. Move forward. It’s not a crime to be a little spoiled and greedy.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
If Tulsa was the first loss then its more understandable. However, it's the third time the team was flat on the road. It's not like they haven't had a reason to re-evaluate and get there heads on straight after the first two losses. Unless they looked at those games as more like the other team is simply better and those losses just happen.

What's infuriating is UCF should not have 3 losses this season. Situational football calls for situational coaching. Heupel sucks at that. No question about it. The playcalling is atrocious at times and is sometimes coupled with the wrong personnel.

UCF has enough talent on it's team to beat FSU and compete with UF. The speed advantage alone is impressive. The RB trio/quad a whole at UCF is something FSU/UF wished they had.

The problem is you can't always throw a 40 yard pass to GD in double/triple coverage and expect that play to work everytime. Sometimes the D is gonna have decent speed to come up or make enough bump/run contact to stay in vicinity and avoid the penalty.

At that point, you've got to adjust. DJ has a decent throw, but his legs are also a serious weapon. DJ also reads the field better that can find secondary/third targets. The only issue with him is he gets fumblitis from time to time.

Mediocrity sucks, but it's worse when you KNOW your team is clearly more talented that the output product shows. The blame rests squarely on Heupel. You guys won't make it through another undefeated season without a different head coach.

My advice: Go get Chad Morris. He won't waste that talented offense.

Reactions: ucffan642
Now we have millions and we still can't beat Tulsa on the road...a two-win team nonetheless
Amazing Post and 100% spot on.

There is a portion of this fanbase that don't want expectations for this Program and want it to be treated like a Minor League Baseball team pastime.

I’m not happy with 3 losses. But watching the games and see how they unfolded you can see how it happened. I don’t want to walk around depressed all day so I accept it. I don’t bet on games so I don’t take it personal. It’s a building process and I am waiting for finished product in a year or 2.

Regarding diets, I have been guessing that the players are eating too "clean". Too few calories leads to less recovery between games, practices and workouts AND low energy levels.

Fans are frustrated because our losses feel self inflicted.

Our losses remind me of when I used to take a math test, and I should have gotten an A but I made some silly algebra mistakes and got a B or C.. that’s what these losses feel like

But what made me pay more attention to detail for future tests were these mistakes, so maybe this is what the team needs, mistakes to learn and grow from

there are 2 games left , the penalty issue is getting worse every week ...who sees that changing ?
If there is anything that could be fixed, it's for damn sure penalties. Our lines getting wooped physically, well that's going to be a little tougher. We have a very young defensive line, though, gotta get those boys in the weight room, keep recruiting that area, we knew it might be an issue coming into the season and it has. The struggles of the offensive line are a little tougher to explain. Somebody needs to be held accountable there.

It takes a Tulsa fan to point out the reality. This is a must read for UCF fans as it shows how we are portrayed to the rest of the country when we go on social media and act like little children

https://theinscribermag.com/ucf-kni...tulsa-time-to-say-good-knight-on-2019-season/

Best quote: "UCF doesn’t have a inferiority complex problem, as record-wise they have done better than their fellow Sunshine State brethren, but a superiority complex that is quickly shifting towards an entitled arrogance that is making UCF turn into the one thing that they—and their fan base—hate the most, a smug and entitled group that is becoming too spoiled, too quickly by recent success."

This guy nails it. You take the respect that we received from thumbing our noses at the establishment and turn around act act just like them.

It takes a Tulsa fan to point out the reality. This is a must read for UCF fans as it shows how we are portrayed to the rest of the country when we go on social media and act like little children

https://theinscribermag.com/ucf-kni...tulsa-time-to-say-good-knight-on-2019-season/

Best quote: "UCF doesn’t have a inferiority complex problem, as record-wise they have done better than their fellow Sunshine State brethren, but a superiority complex that is quickly shifting towards an entitled arrogance that is making UCF turn into the one thing that they—and their fan base—hate the most, a smug and entitled group that is becoming too spoiled, too quickly by recent success."

This guy nails it. You take the respect that we received from thumbing our noses at the establishment and turn around act act just like them.

Well duh. Once you get money, you're suppose to act like your rich! Ain't no gap years, we're suppose to deliver every year! :pimp:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Was SCKnight one of the GOL nuthuggers? If it was up to those guys the 2017 and 2018 runs would have never happened.
Absolute nuthugger. Also said he should have stepped down after 2013. But if he had we would not have had SF or the NC or undefeated. We would have had Brent Key. So thank GOL for 0-12 because it got us where we are.

That’s a good observation. so they aren’t using that nutrition center that Frost pushed for? Maybe Ellerbe is all meat and potatoes with no attention to detail. That was one of my favorite changes after Frost got hired, Sentinel had a few articles on it

this is an actual example of taking on the ‘personality’ of the HC , Frost stayed in borderline playing shape pushing 40 and would work out with the players.

Is there any actual proof of this? Or are you speculating

Complacency is being OK with where you are at. I don’t have to like it or accept it. I tasted “Filet Mignon.” Took trips to all 3 NY6 bowls. Enjoyed every minute of it. Even losing was OK, because we made it there.

I’m not going to apologize for not wanting “ground beef” although I’ll eat it. I don’t have to accept it or like it

When you eat steak every day, steak becomes ordinary and boring. You have to eat ground beef every now and then to appreciate it. Just as the UF fans what that attitude gets you. Years of dissatisfaction and little joy. Nobody is asking you to not want steak, just don't call for the cook's head just because you got served tuna casserole. Steak is still on the menu, just not this year

When you start getting scurvy then you can bitch

Why has DW been so quiet? Don’t hear him saying, “you can’t win them all. Sometimes you get tripped up by a team like Tulsa.”

Why isn’t he saying anything????

Because he wants to win them all. He’s not happy. He may accept it, but he hates it

He knows that he just lost a ton of money in ticket renewals with each loss. It's like planning for next month's paycheck to cover Xmas gifts, and then finding out that your paycheck will be less than expected.

Who cares what Tulsa fans think. Stop attacking our fanbase. Let’s act like we have been there before and leave the minor league attitude behind. Tulsa beat us, but they are still Tulsa with their 3,000 fans

I don’t get why some on here are mad on a message board that some of us are ticked with the losses we have this year. The Tulsa one to me is inexcusable, we were not a well coached team that game. I am willing to give Heupel time but I will call it like I see it. He needs to improve, bottom line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT