ADVERTISEMENT

Our identity: Does Gus want us to have a Navy-like offense?

Guinness_Knight

Five-Star Recruit
Oct 19, 2009
Out of everything that’s going on, this may be what bothers me the most.

Over the past 5 years we built a brand called UCFast. Exciting offenses that were balanced and put up numbers.

Now our team identify is what? Is Gus WANTING to have a UCFast offense with his spin on it or he doesn’t care about that and wants to be a predominantly run heavy offense?

Is our current situation based solely off of personnel? In other words, will Gus have a dynamic offense with different players? I wish this to be the case, but I’m not so sure.

Depend on QB to act as RB to earn yards and squeeze out wins until game 7 when they are injured and then depend on QB2 & 3. Use WR very sparingly. Hope D doesn't retract by game 8. Ohh and wait for players to transfer out in Portal.

Wow what a step up in offense from coach Frost & Huep.

Over the past 5 years we built a brand called UCFast. Exciting offenses that were balanced and put up numbers.

Now our team identify is what? Is Gus WANTING to have a UCFast offense with his spin on it or he doesn’t care about that and wants to be a predominantly run heavy offense?

Is our current situation based solely off of personnel? In other words, will Gus have a dynamic offense with different players? I wish this to be the case, but I’m not so sure.
UCFast ended when Gus tookover.

This is what happens when you hire old, fired coaches from the P5. There’s a reason they were fired. We need to hire up and coming coaches who have shown success and are eager to build a monster.

There is nothing wrong with running the football.

uat won championship after championship with a power rushing attack and a suffocating defense.

Since bammer went to the read option, it has won one national title--and that came in a game in which uat was outplayed until a true freshman QB threw a miracle fourth down touchdown pass to a fellow true freshman, who would later go on to win the Heisman trophy to cap his career.

Since uat's last crown, Georgia has been the dominant college football team with a pro style power rushing attack and a suffocating defense.

The offense you are complaining about had UCF in the conference championship game. Unfortunately the "suffocating defense" suffocated prematurely.

uat won championship after championship with a power rushing attack and a suffocating defense.

Since bammer went to the read option, it has won one national title--and that came in a game in which uat was outplayed until a true freshman QB threw a miracle fourth down touchdown pass to a fellow true freshman, who would later go on to win the Heisman trophy to cap his career.

Since uat's last crown, Georgia has been the dominant college football team with a pro style power rushing attack and a suffocating defense.

The offense you are complaining about had UCF in the conference championship game. Unfortunately the "suffocating defense" suffocated prematurely.
nothing wrong with a pro style power rushing attack, our problem is we have a gimmicky rushing attack. most of auburns NFL products are on defense.

I get that Gus wants to run his offense with all these NFL guys versus College guys.

As a College Coach I expected him to figure out how to maximize our talent. Not what he has done last 2 seasons.

We did return to the CCG that was an improvement. BIG XII rebuild starts now. Recruiting is still up.

We didnt pass any eye tests in the CCG versus a team we previously beat on the road, we looked outclassed on both sides of the ball.

We used to run past people with tempo and speed. Gus loves to sub and kill the tempo. He also coaches the RBs to turn up the jet sweep into the tacker at the numbers. 9/10 thet need to run that to the side like then turn it up cheese and bread style.

BIG XII is known for offense over defense. So we need to improve on both sides of the ball. CHARGE ON

P.S. 3 years in BIG XII we should start getting paid then we can find another Coach if we have to. I am hoping Gus learns to adapt and we win or are in CCG again by then.

That works at elite programs because of the freak athletes they are able to recruit. Bunch of 4 and 5 stars studs that will play on Sundays. And yes this offense couldn’t beat Navy in consecutive years. Only reason we made the CCG is because the level of the AAC was atrocious this year. Keep believing Malzahn is the guy. At least we were exciting even when we didn’t win championships. Now we are still not winning but are super boring.

Gus needs an ELITE defense and kicking game. His program (post the NCAA rules changes) is very similar to Gene Stallings' in that regard. Not the most exciting to watch (at least until the championship games roll around.)

He needs to drop the ego and bring in an OC that knows how to use spread and a throwing QB. Lamar Jackson is always hurt and loses big games. Too easy for good defenses to game plan a running QB.
Somebody with experience, with UCF background, with "a bit" of success....FROST! lol jp i know that will never happen...or will it....

Gus needs an ELITE defense and kicking game. His program (post the NCAA rules changes) is very similar to Gene Stallings' in that regard. Not the most exciting to watch (at least until the championship games roll around.)
Stallings hasn’t coached in 25 years. Probably run the same offense. Its a relic and needs to be shelved.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight

Our offenses under Frost and Heup were very run-happy when successful. Difference was we had a heisman-caliber QB making great decisions. Find a QB that has “it” and whatever offense you run looks way better. If there is one position I would spend a ton on it is a coach that can identify and/or develop QB talent. Taaffe did that. Frost did that or whoever identified QBs for him (his whole stable of QBs competed or started at multiple schools). Heup has a track record of finding/developing top-tier QBs. It’s not easy but it really is the key to every program except like 5-6 programs that are so stacked with talent across the board they can often overcome that.

Gus doesn’t want to run a fast offense. He subs way too much.

Reactions: SimpleJack53
I never understood why he subbed so much when at various times it seemed like we had momentum to hurry up. Such a momentum killer, our guys no way were that out of shape.

Reactions: mattropolis
I never understood why he subbed so much when at various times it seemed like we had momentum to hurry up. Such a momentum killer, our guys no way were that out of shape.
Same. Oh and it allowed the other team to walk off the field as they subbed and leave us with 7-8 seconds to do pre snap reads.

My only guess is he was hunting for mismatches as well as trying to slow down the game. Did also seem to surprise the other team when we DID run tempo

Reactions: U C to the F
Gus runs a high school type offense. A lot of side to side jet sweeps, wr screens, bubble screens, qb runs, and stupid trick plays… it’s very basic and boring. Not to mention easy to game plan against. Our WR’s do more blocking and running jet sweeps than they do catching passes. If I was an elite WR, playing for Gus would NOT be an option.

I’ve said it 100x, we need a young, creative, motivated offensive coordinator who brings an exciting spark to the offensive scheme. This will help with recruiting, morale, motivate the fan base and most of all, Win games.

he also needs to recruit much Bigger, stronger, faster offensive and defensive linemen if we are to have any chance in the B12.

Our offenses under Frost and Heup were very run-happy when successful. Difference was we had a heisman-caliber QB making great decisions. Find a QB that has “it” and whatever offense you run looks way better. If there is one position I would spend a ton on it is a coach that can identify and/or develop QB talent. Taaffe did that. Frost did that or whoever identified QBs for him (his whole stable of QBs competed or started at multiple schools). Heup has a track record of finding/developing top-tier QBs. It’s not easy but it really is the key to every program except like 5-6 programs that are so stacked with talent across the board they can often overcome that.

Gus doesn’t want to run a fast offense. He subs way too much.
Our Heisman vote qb did not do very well in his first season of a Frost offense…this was JRPs first season in the Gus playbook … I’d expect huge gains next year with JRP back leading the team

Here is a secret, but don’t tell anyone else. We are slowly but surely morphing back to O’Leary ball.
I thought the UCFast was surely going to continue under gus. They said he wrote the book on it. By using SPEED in various ways, athletes, offensive play types, speed of game, UCF was able to compete and win. UCFast wasn't that good for our defense though. If you remember the yards we were giving up under Hippo and Shannon.

I thought the UCFast was surely going to continue under gus. They said he wrote the book on it. By using SPEED in various ways, athletes, offensive play types, speed of game, UCF was able to compete and win. UCFast wasn't that good for our defense though. If you remember the yards we were giving up under Hippo and Shannon.
Gus still uses tempo, but he has changed his offensive philosophies since becoming a head coach. He protects his defenses as much as possible. He uses tempo at times, but doesn't go 'NASCAR' the whole game. Sometime he slows it down based on down and distance, field position, game control, score, etc

Reactions: Knight Strength
His brand of football is something I'm learning more about and figuring out (BTW, listens to Sons of UCF X's and O's if you haven't). It's never gonna be air raid, hyper speed type football but it's balanced, and yes it likens us to thoughts of GOL ball, which was boring af but could be effective. I think for us as fans, we had success with the up tempo madness that we figure we need to keep it going to continue the momentum. I don't think that shyt will fly in the B12 anyway. I sincerely believe we're a few players away from kicking a$$. We definitely are still lacking depth and apparently the defense is now a rebuild. This upcoming year will be year 3 for Gus. I definitely expect to see a jump from our players and coaches.

Reactions: U C to the F
I liked csf’s version of tempo, and offense in general than cjh or malzahns. It was fast, but could be slowed down at times to protect our defense. The running plays involved more pulls & counters than the “up the middle” bs heupels offense had and we didnt run 37 jet sweeps per game like malzahn. We also utilized our TE’s much better

Auburn grad here. I was at the 2017 Peach Bowl that y'all won and have a friend that's a UCF grad. I come in peace. This post is like dozens we had in Gus' last several years at AU. Don't expect anything to change offensively. Gus went from "AuburnFast" in 2013-2014 with Nick Marshall at QB to "AuburnMolasses" after that. Without a great DT QB to make chicken salad from chicken ----, his offenses are like watching paint dry. ( Especially with his OL recruiting weaknesses...)

Good luck in your bowl game.UCF is a sleeping giant,especially with your move to the Big XII. I wish you well.

Auburn grad here. I was at the 2017 Peach Bowl that y'all won and have a friend that's a UCF grad. I come in peace. This post is like dozens we had in Gus' last several years at AU. Don't expect anything to change offensively. Gus went from "AuburnFast" in 2013-2014 with Nick Marshall at QB to "AuburnMolasses" after that. Without a great DT QB to make chicken salad from chicken ----, his offenses are like watching paint dry. ( Especially with his OL recruiting weaknesses...)

Good luck in your bowl game.UCF is a sleeping giant,especially with your move to the Big XII. I wish you well.
Gus changed his coaching style to emphasize defense and special teams after 2014 to account for the NCAA rules changes that affected his offense. His defense went from giving up 55 in a 55-44 loss against uat in 2014 to hiring Will Muschamp in 2015 and Kevin Steele in 2016 posting four straight top 10 scoring defensive marks from 2016-2019. Gus has also produced NFL kickers and punters since 2015.

Now at UCF with TWill leading the defense, the Knights again had a quality scoring defense until things fell apart on the half of the schedule, and UCF has upgraded its punter and kickers, signed the nation's best holder, and has a commitment from the nation's top kicker.

Either these changes are a miraculous coincidence or they represent a change in offensive philosophy. I am of the opinion that nothing is a "coincidence."

Gus changed his coaching style to emphasize defense and special teams after 2014 to account for the NCAA rules changes that affected his offense. His defense went from giving up 55 in a 55-44 loss against uat in 2014 to hiring Will Muschamp in 2015 and Kevin Steele in 2016 posting four straight top 10 scoring defensive marks from 2016-2019. Gus has also produced NFL kickers and punters since 2015.

Now at UCF with TWill leading the defense, the Knights again had a quality scoring defense until things fell apart on the half of the schedule, and UCF has upgraded its punter and kickers, signed the nation's best holder, and has a commitment from the nation's top kicker.

Either these changes are a miraculous coincidence or they represent a change in offensive philosophy. I am of the opinion that nothing is a "coincidence."
Um ok

What rule changes were these?
A couple targeting Gus, most impactfully though, was the rule change that when an offense substitutes, the official stands over the football and doesn't allow the offense to snap the football until the defense has had an opportunity to substitute.

Last edited:
Reactions: OtterKnight
I liked csf’s version of tempo, and offense in general than cjh or malzahns. It was fast, but could be slowed down at times to protect our defense. The running plays involved more pulls & counters than the “up the middle” bs heupels offense had and we didnt run 37 jet sweeps per game like malzahn. We also utilized our TE’s much better
agree

I get that Gus wants to run his offense with all these NFL guys versus College guys.

As a College Coach I expected him to figure out how to maximize our talent. Not what he has done last 2 seasons.

We did return to the CCG that was an improvement. BIG XII rebuild starts now. Recruiting is still up.

We didnt pass any eye tests in the CCG versus a team we previously beat on the road, we looked outclassed on both sides of the ball.

We used to run past people with tempo and speed. Gus loves to sub and kill the tempo. He also coaches the RBs to turn up the jet sweep into the tacker at the numbers. 9/10 thet need to run that to the side like then turn it up cheese and bread style.

BIG XII is known for offense over defense. So we need to improve on both sides of the ball. CHARGE ON

P.S. 3 years in BIG XII we should start getting paid then we can find another Coach if we have to. I am hoping Gus learns to adapt and we win or are in CCG again by then.
Good analysis! Agree

ADVERTISEMENT