ADVERTISEMENT

Our new AD White

pittpal

Bronze Knight
Jul 27, 2001
I hope he the sort of AD that looks at year to year performance not a 4-5 year window. If he is he will see MBB/WBB and baseball all need new blood. .Past ADs gave our coaches.. a long .contract and then forgot about it. UCF has not really succeeded but the only new coach we have is because the exsisting coach retired. Hey AD it is not a sin to buy out a coach and get new blood...

Hey AD it is not a sin to buy out a coach and get new blood...

Are you doing to give the AD a ton of $$$ to do just that?

Oh, I see...you want others to give all the $$$ so the AD can make changes. Got it.

Donate a ton of money to UCF Athletics and its amazing what could be done.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I agree MBB needs a change. You don't need 4 years to turn a program around in basketball. It should be 2 years tops. Most of the top schools only keep their best players a year or two. We need a big name coach that will do what Kentucky and the likes are now doing and piece together a Fab 5 to come in for a year or two and then go get another set.

But baseball consistently cracks the Top25. As for WBB, unless your name is UConn, Tennessee, or occasionally a couple of other schools, WBB is a joke and doesn't bring in any revenue to worry about it.

But KL is correct, if you want better, then pay better... which means donate better.

[QUOTE="EngAlum98, post: 475268, member: 1260"

We need a big name coach that will do what Kentucky and the likes are now doing and piece together a Fab 5 to come in for a year or two and then go get another set.
[/QUOTE]

As you stated at the end of your post, there aren't any scores of alum/fans donating millions so UCF could hire the best or one of the Top 5-6 coaches in the country that earn $4 Million - $7 Million per year.

If not, UCF can't use the same strategy as UK (mostly 1 and done All-Americans) and must build up teams/programs, similar to GW and others that have enjoyed success.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I agree MBB needs a change. You don't need 4 years to turn a program around in basketball. It should be 2 years tops. Most of the top schools only keep their best players a year or two. We need a big name coach that will do what Kentucky and the likes are now doing and piece together a Fab 5 to come in for a year or two and then go get another set.

But baseball consistently cracks the Top25. As for WBB, unless your name is UConn, Tennessee, or occasionally a couple of other schools, WBB is a joke and doesn't bring in any revenue to worry about it.

But KL is correct, if you want better, then pay better... which means donate better.

Let's be real. You really are tossing around Kentucky with their 20K regular attendance and all their national titles. I more realistic level would be trying to do what VCU is doing. We can get a Fab 5 but we will be back on sanctions again.

If Donnie has 1 year remaining on his contract, I'd just give him that to see if he can pull off the turnaround. UCF doesn't have the resources to hire and fire like teams that get over $20 million just from TV rights. USF is doing the hire and fire and both sports and it hasn't worked out well.

Let's be real. You really are tossing around Kentucky with their 20K regular attendance and all their national titles. I more realistic level would be trying to do what VCU is doing. We can get a Fab 5 but we will be back on sanctions again.

If Donnie has 1 year remaining on his contract, I'd just give him that to see if he can pull off the turnaround. UCF doesn't have the resources to hire and fire like teams that get over $20 million just from TV rights. USF is doing the hire and fire and both sports and it hasn't worked out well.

That Fab 5 year would be epic though! We have to renew Donnie's contract or fire him otherwise he'll be worthless in recruiting next year.

I see the basketball situation a little different though. Donnie is set to make around $2 million this year. Season ticket prices start at around $100. Teams like Loserville and Kentucky charge upward of $40 per home game ($600 and up for season tickets) and have a waiting list of people willing to pay that and more. SMU's attendance doubled the 1st year with Larry Brown ($2.8 million) from 2K to 4K and reached 6K in his second year (7K seat arena)... oh, and they nearly doubled ticket prices to compensate for Brown's salary at the same time.

If you put a product on the court that people will pay to see, you can raise prices to compensate salary. Current season ticket prices (around $100+) average out to less than $10 per game for the cheap seats. With a roughly 10K seat arena, every $100 increase in season ticket price covers $1 million. So, increasing season ticket prices to $300 would give an extra $2 million on top of what DJ already makes ($2 million). Now, you can afford a $4 million coach. If you reach Loserville levels ($600 tickets), you have your Calipari salary.

General rule of business... You have to spend money to make money.

I see the basketball situation a little different though. Donnie is set to make around $2 million this year.

No way Donnie Jones makes $2 million per year at UCF. That's more than SMU, Georgia and even Notre Dame and North Carolina pay their coaches.

I see the basketball situation a little different though. Donnie is set to make around $2 million this year.

Donnie who?

Mean this Donnie?

starsnaps_donny_osmond.jpg

I see the basketball situation a little different though. Donnie is set to make around $2 million this year. Season ticket prices start at around $100. Teams like Loserville and Kentucky charge upward of $40 per home game ($600 and up for season tickets) and have a waiting list of people willing to pay that and more. SMU's attendance doubled the 1st year with Larry Brown ($2.8 million) from 2K to 4K and reached 6K in his second year (7K seat arena)... oh, and they nearly doubled ticket prices to compensate for Brown's salary at the same time.

If you put a product on the court that people will pay to see, you can raise prices to compensate salary. Current season ticket prices (around $100+) average out to less than $10 per game for the cheap seats. With a roughly 10K seat arena, every $100 increase in season ticket price covers $1 million. So, increasing season ticket prices to $300 would give an extra $2 million on top of what DJ already makes ($2 million). Now, you can afford a $4 million coach. If you reach Loserville levels ($600 tickets), you have your Calipari salary.

General rule of business... You have to spend money to make money.

1) Donnie is around $600K I believe

2) Kentucky is no comparison in any way

3) SMU is on a post season ban and we can't get in trouble for a few years. Brown would have us in major hot water getting us in trouble under probation.

4) Paying $2 million to a coach doesn't guarantee anything. SMU did hire a legend and it seems to have worked out. Doesn't always though.

General rule of business is not spending yourself out of business too. We need facilities upgrades in football and baseball. If he only has 1 year remaining, it doesn't hurt to see if he can turn us around. The people crying here are not the ones writing giant paychecks to piss away money. Getting into a hire and fire doesn't work well unless you have near unlimited resources. He does need to have a big year next year though, IMO. We are still lacking some good PG play. We were supposed to have Brandon Goodwin and BJ Taylor this year. Both out for the season.

This is why you incentive-ise the crap out of the contract. Base salary may be $600K-$800K with perks up to $4 million via percentages of season tickets sold, seats sold, etc. We do it a little already, but I think it should be MUCH, MUCH bigger.

This is why you incentive-ise the crap out of the contract. Base salary may be $600K-$800K with perks up to $4 million via percentages of season tickets sold, seats sold, etc. We do it a little already, but I think it should be MUCH, MUCH bigger.
Actually a good idea. Bring in a name and incentive-ise!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT