ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 Collapse

jared151

Four-Star Recruit
Oct 28, 2013
I found this article to be rather informative if not a tad out of date at the moment.

Inside the Pac-12 Collapse

The Big 12’s decision to focus on conference stability after TX and OK departure saved the conference and was a great move imo. The Pac-2’s future is looking very unsure.

Reactions: knight_tracker
The UCLA part of that article is insane. UCLA football hasn't won their division since 2012 but they were asking for more money than other successful programs? Gimmie a break.

this quote is how I imagine the big east meetings went when genshaft made it known what she thought about adding us.

“A lot of times, the way presidents’ rooms work, he or she who speaks the loudest and first kind of sets the dynamic,” a source with knowledge of the discussions recently told The Times. “And if there’s nobody else that has a real strong knowledge base or inclination to do something else, they say the person who has a real strong opinion must feel strongly for a reason.”

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I just want them to go to the MWC already and stop crying.
I'd like to see them join the B12, establish an Eastern and Western Conference with 10 B12 games, primarily intra-conference, and a couple of games (home and away) with the other Conference. It would reduce the cross country travel to 1 game a year and take any remaining P5 schools off the board. Olympic Sports scheduling would use that same logic. Still a lot of travel but probably less than we'll have starting next year if we don't add them.

Reactions: Yaes
I'd like to see them join the B12, establish an Eastern and Western Conference with 10 B12 games, primarily intra-conference, and a couple of games (home and away) with the other Conference. It would reduce the cross country travel to 1 game a year and take any remaining P5 schools off the board. Olympic Sports scheduling would use that same logic. Still a lot of travel but probably less than we'll have starting next year if we don't add them.
No, need to save our powder for ACC teams. The towns (Pullman, pop 32,000....Corvallis pop 60,000) both these teams play in are hard to get to and have no media presence

Have read if the last 2 stand pat, say they're the PAC and aren't leaving, they get to split the 'emergency fund' between the 2. If they officially leave to the MWC, then the fund is split with every PAC team playing now. If true, the smartest thing the 2 could do is nothing, till next year.

There is a lot of money to be had for the 2 schools over the next two years (like $80M) if they can keep it away from the departing schools. Combine that with the 2 year waiver, they should just stay put for 2 years and jump to the MWC after.

Maybe just use the P12 network to televise games or produce them with the P12 network and sell them to cable companies.

Wouldn't it make more sense to try to poach teams from MWC, AAC, etc? The Pac-12 name holds more weight than MWC - although that'll probably change if it hasn't already. If Pac-12 goes away, that would lead to a power 4 conference group. It was hard to get into a power conference before this all started. It'll practically be impossible after this is all said and done. Poor cows lol :)

Too many issues for the PAC 2 to form their own conference long term. Is another G5 conference spread across the country even viable? Where are you going to get a media deal for even $10M per team? Who can afford buyouts to join another G5 conference?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT