ADVERTISEMENT

Penny to coach Memphis

Only HS coaching experience? Pretty big gamble ain't it?
Not really. I was hoping for more Tubby. Tubby was going to keep them mid AAC the entire time he’s there. Penny has elite NBA experience and can easily be Googled if by chance an 18 year old doesn’t know who he is. Plus not only is he a high school coach but he is connected in the AAU circuit and is bringing elite talent with him. Not what we needed considering we can’t get those kids to even visit us. It’s a good hire.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Didn't work for Drexler at UH.....coaching was too much work
He had never coached before. Went from a player straight to a college HC. Penny has been coaching a bit. Plus has contacts. They will get better recruits than we ever have.

Is he going to get Shaq to hold him up? That's the only way he can succeed in basketball. Maybe he'll just blame Brian Hill if he sucks at coaching.

Reactions: thespiritof1976
Is he going to get Shaq to hold him up? That's the only way he can succeed in basketball. Maybe he'll just blame Brian Hill if he sucks at coaching.

Oh, you didn't hear ? Brian Hill is going to be his top assistant. Yea man. They are best buds. Always have been lol...

Coaching at that level takes long hours, hard work, dedication, lots of responsibility, usually some coaching experience and general overall stability. He must be a leader. Does he possess all or most of those attributes?

Coaching at that level takes long hours, hard work, dedication, lots of responsibility, usually some coaching experience and general overall stability. He must be a leader. Does he possess all or most of those attributes?
Not sure but he’s getting top 50 players in nation. Not what we needed when Tubby was ruining them.

going to be an interesting ride. Could be a home run, could be a total bust.

I don’t blame them for trying. Their donations and season ticket levels are down across the board. And Calipari isnt walking back through that door. They gotta try something with a little excitement.

I don’t blame them for trying. Their donations and season ticket levels are down across the board. And Calipari isnt walking back through that door. They gotta try something with a little excitement.
If it was Penny walking in through door by himself I’d say he has work cut out. He’s bringing 3 Kentucky type recruits with him. That’s just this year.

No, bet you it ends up just like Drexler....

Reactions: Mikesi
I think so. You lose a lot of your social life freedom as a big time college program head coach
His life is already basketball. High School HC and AAU HC. Time will tell but he’s a good hire. On a side note UCONN just hired Danny Hurley. Not as splashy of a hire but decent.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
His life is already basketball. High School HC and AAU HC. Time will tell but he’s a good hire. On a side note UCONN just hired Danny Hurley. Not as splashy of a hire but decent.

Hurley will make an impact. Pitt also offered him. He's coached his entire career in the Northeast, and took a Rhode Island team to back to back 2nd round appearances when they haven't even been in the tournament in almost 20 years.

A10 aside from this year normally ranks as good or better than AAC.

Memphis could be come a strong 1 and done school again. Connecticut is more likely to become a sustainable championship contender.

Hurley will make an impact. Pitt also offered him. He's coached his entire career in the Northeast, and took a Rhode Island team to back to back 2nd round appearances when they haven't even been in the tournament in almost 20 years.

A10 aside from this year normally ranks as good or better than AAC.

Memphis could be come a strong 1 and done school again. Connecticut is more likely to become a sustainable championship contender.
Bobby would have been a more splashy hire. Not many kids know who Bobby’s Brother is. I don’t think he gets 5 star kids like Calhoun did.

Penny is more of a splash hire in terms of local community and younger generation, Hurley can coach. I would put more money on uconn having more success though.

Everybody 35 and older yes. I doubt high school kids pay attention to the coach of Wagner and Rhode Island. 18 year olds have to google Heisman winners from 20 years ago. Not much to Google on Danny. Other than the son of a coach and brother of a great player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT