ADVERTISEMENT

People use streets more efficiently, tight ass LL/HOA types complain, hold back America

brahmanknight

Sep 5, 2007
Winter Park
http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-l-a-one-way-to-beat-traffic-runs-into-backlash-1447469058

BN-LG269_WAZEjp_G_20151113174603.jpg

Ms. Menard’s suburban Los Angeles street of ranch houses, Cody Road, has turned into a thoroughfare with enough gridlock to make Times Square at rush hour feel tranquil. On early mornings when headlights are still needed, it resembles one long funeral procession.

The culprit: Waze, the popular app owned by Alphabet Inc. ’s Google that provides alternate routes to busy boulevards and packed freeways. Launched in 2007, Waze has 50 million users world-wide and about two million in Los Angeles, its biggest U.S. market.

Waze sometimes sends drivers through little-used side streets such as Cody Road. The mile-long hilly street in the Sherman Oaks neighborhood runs parallel to the 405 freeway and leads to Mulholland Drive, through which commuters can make their way from the San Fernando Valley to Beverly Hills, Hollywood and West Los Angeles.

Some people try to beat Waze at its own game by sending misinformation about traffic jams and accidents so it will steer commuters elsewhere. Others log in and leave their devices in their cars, hoping Waze will interpret that as a traffic standstill and suggest alternate routes.

“It’s not really possible to game the system,” said Ms. Mossler, the Waze spokeswoman. Users, she said, will either verify or negate the reports. In addition, Waze will flag chronic posters of bogus information.

To be sure, some Cody Road residents have Waze on their phones. “You certainly can’t turn off technology,” said Mr. Bjerke, who uses the app on occasion. Ms. Menard said she stopped because she didn’t want to be hypocritical.

Among the proposals Ms. Menard wants officials to consider are signs telling drivers they can’t turn onto so-called feeder streets like Cody Road in morning hours, a 25 mile-per-hour speed limit and additional stop signs. Ultimately, the goal is to push drivers to either the 405—which the city recently spent over $1 billion widening—or Sepulveda Blvd., a main street that runs parallel to the freeway.

Last edited:
LOL at the thread title.

Nothing a few days worth of roofing tacks couldn't fix. Simple technology is best. I put little tacks out to stop bicyclists and it worked (too small to pop car tires). We now half the bicycle traffic we used to have on my street.

I'm glad I live on a dead-end road though.

I grew up a block from a major highway and a couple blocks away from a railroad. Noise doesn't both me.

Although the noise would bother me, it's the traffic that would drive me insane. Isn't that what this article was about?

Although the noise would bother me, it's the traffic that would drive me insane. Isn't that what this article was about?

Yeah.

The place I had in Tampa Palms was hell during rush hour. It took me 45 minutes to go the four miles from my mother's house to my place. But there were two ways in and out, so it was predictable.

Who should pay for gates?
The better question is how much should their city charge them for the roads. When a community is gated, the roads are private. Since the community didn't put the roads in, I assume they'd have to buy them from the city.

The better question is how much should their city charge them for the roads. When a community is gated, the roads are private. Since the community didn't put the roads in, I assume they'd have to buy them from the city.

True...as many never realize the actual cost on of the cost of roads/maintenance that they are responsible to pay for.

Better yet, its best to own a home near the Mayor of Orlando and just have the City blocked off certain ends of the street so you basically have a private cul de sac that you never have to pay for.[winking]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT