ADVERTISEMENT

Pete thamel titter tweet

Aresco was on Sirius Radio a month ago or so and said they didn't really want to add basketball only schools. Not sure if stance is still the same.

Reactions: UCFhonors
Small school with only ~15k students but Wichita is surprisingly big -48th in the nation. But being in Kansas is the deal killer.

Small school with only ~15k students but Wichita is surprisingly big -48th in the nation. But being in Kansas is the deal killer.
Wichita only 130 miles from Tulsa, 440 from Memphis, 350 from SMU, 560 from Houston -- 3 AAC schools

No direct flights there from Orlando.

Do. Not. Want.
Are there to Tulsa, Storrs, ECU. It's basketball, and most don't travel to away games. Anyway, they'd be in a Western division, so there wouldn't be an away game every year.

Reactions: Miltonian
Finally figured out that we are not "mid-majors". Evidently the (Big East in basketball) A10, AAC, and Mountain West are above mid-major conferences but below the P5. At least according to Jay Bias: https://twitter.com/JayBilas

I say offer them an invite. It shouldve been done years ago.
yeah. The ACC has Notre Dame as basketball only. And we're stuck with a military academy in football. Heck, why not grab up the other top basketball-only schools that aren't already in the Big East; or raid the top football-hoops schools with good attendance itching to flee conferences holding them back?

yeah. The ACC has Notre Dame as basketball only. And we're stuck with a military academy in football. Heck, why not grab up the other top basketball-only schools that aren't already in the Big East; or raid the top football-hoops schools with good attendance itching to flee conferences holding them back?
Aresco said he doesnt want to deal with having many basketball only schools in his conference. He doesnt want what broke up the conference in the first place.
It doesnt mean he isn't okay with adding one though. I read that from an article awhile back. SMU, Wichita and Tulsa can alternate as representatives from the western end if Wichita State's consistency fades from moving to a better conference, no offense to the MVC but theyve been on a slide since the mid 2000s.

Are there to Tulsa, Storrs, ECU. It's basketball, and most don't travel to away games. Anyway, they'd be in a Western division, so there wouldn't be an away game every year.

Don't know about Storrs or ECU, but there are to Tulsa.

Because Navy is football only, we need somebody to fill in for their other sports, without taking up a football slot. To me, this is a no brainer. Wichita State has made numerous CWS, and they also have a respectable basketball program. You pair that with Navy football and it only counts as one school- that would keep the number of football schools the same (leaving room for expansion if that is desired in the future) bring basketball to 12 and I think baseball to either 9 or 10.

Reactions: UCFProf
Don't know about Storrs or ECU, but there are to Tulsa.

Because Navy is football only, we need somebody to fill in for their other sports, without taking up a football slot. To me, this is a no brainer. Wichita State has made numerous CWS, and they also have a respectable basketball program. You pair that with Navy football and it only counts as one school- that would keep the number of football schools the same (leaving room for expansion if that is desired in the future) bring basketball to 12 and I think baseball to either 9 or 10.
Let's do this. Also, Arkansas St. has the large, growing attendance and very strong football (as we learned) and basketball, plus the commitment to investing in large, new stadium and facilities. Near Memphis, Tulane, Houston, Tulsa, too. One other, and that would make 14. The idea is to make the AAC the preferred way station for the final P5 expansion pool of candidates. There are dissatisfied king-of-the-hill schools like Ark St. who've realized they will be the Left Behind unless they greatly improve their competition (SOS) by jumping up to a much better conference. Also, declining mid-major sports revenue and college attendance inevitably will cause G5 football conferences to merge or fold by 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT