ADVERTISEMENT

Players most likely to get drafted in 2021

PhDee

Silver Knight
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2019
Who do you think is most likely to get drafted? It think this could be our biggest draft class yet

Marlon Williams
Tre Nixon
Jacob Harris
Jake Hescock
Otis Anderson
Greg McCrae
Parker Boudreaux
Eric Mitchell
Kenny Turnier
Chris DeLoach
Noah Hancock
Tay Gowan
Richie Grant
Aaron Robinson
Antwan Collier

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Strength
Who do you think is most likely to get drafted? It think this could be our biggest draft class yet

Marlon Williams
Tre Nixon
Jacob Harris
Jake Hescock
Otis Anderson
Greg McCrae
Parker Boudreaux
Eric Mitchell
Kenny Turnier
Chris DeLoach
Noah Hancock
Tay Gowan
Richie Grant
Aaron Robinson
Isn’t marlon a junior? I would think he stays unless a monster season.. never mind, he’s a senior

Reactions: PhDee
We probably have one of the top 5-10 defensive backfields in all of college football. Unfortunately, we are probably going to lose 3-4 players to the draft and possibly 1-2 very high in the draft

Gowan could be a better DB than Mike Hughes. Any of Robinson, Grant, and Coller could be right there with a big season

All were smart to come back

Any of the offensive players getting drafted would take a lot. We have seen this in the past. Marlon, Nixon and Anderson all could get drafted with a very productive season.

I don’t expect any offensive linemen to get drafted.

Reactions: JAFFX2
We probably have one of the top 5-10 defensive backfields in all of college football. Unfortunately, we are probably going to lose 3-4 players to the draft and possibly 1-2 very high in the draft

Gowan could be a better DB than Mike Hughes. Any of Robinson, Grant, and Coller could be right there with a big season

All were smart to come back

Any of the offensive players getting drafted would take a lot. We have seen this in the past. Marlon, Nixon and Anderson all could get drafted with a very productive season.

I don’t expect any offensive linemen to get drafted.
On the DBs, I hope you are right but this seems like a stretch to me.

IMO, if Grant doesn't miss too many tackles this year he is a round 2-4 guy. He has shown the ability to make a lot of tackles, be strong in coverage, and be one of the best all-around safeties in the country, but he put out a few games of bad tape last year, which is why he hasn't already entered the draft.

The rest (Gowan, ARob, Collier) are late round guys or UFA IMO. Gowan is probably the best pure cover guy, but isn't very physical even though he is tall, and there isn't that much film on him. ARob has the most athletic upside IMO and the best chance to sneak into a day 2 spot after Grant. Collier is a little streaky, probably not as good technically even though he has had a lot of snaps, and a little grabby. I think he is similar to Nevelle Clark and I expect a similar outcome for him.

Marlon's draft evaluation will come down to his 40 time. If he runs a 4.45-4.49 he is a physical, athletic possession receiver that could be a 3rd rounder. If he runs a 4.50 - 4.55 he is a round 4-7 pick unless he has HUGE production this year like Gabe had. If he runs over a 4.55 I think he will be a UFA.

Nixon to me is an UFA unless he runs sub 4.4 or gets used in more ways this season than just go routes and an occasional stop/out.

Marlon's draft evaluation will come down to his 40 time. If he runs a 4.45-4.49 he is a physical, athletic possession receiver that could be a 3rd rounder. If he runs a 4.50 - 4.55 he is a round 4-7 pick unless he has HUGE production this year like Gabe had. If he runs over a 4.55 I think he will be a UFA.

Nixon to me is an UFA unless he runs sub 4.4 or gets used in more ways this season than just go routes and an occasional stop/out.
Interesting take, I see Nixon as a sure round 3-4 type of guy like Gabe. I also see Marlon at a round 3-6 type of guy, I think his production will matter. And I can even see J Harris getting drafted. He reminds me of Akins, still a work in progress but has tremendous measurables and has a high ceiling.

On the DBs, I hope you are right but this seems like a stretch to me.

IMO, if Grant doesn't miss too many tackles this year he is a round 2-4 guy. He has shown the ability to make a lot of tackles, be strong in coverage, and be one of the best all-around safeties in the country, but he put out a few games of bad tape last year, which is why he hasn't already entered the draft.

The rest (Gowan, ARob, Collier) are late round guys or UFA IMO. Gowan is probably the best pure cover guy, but isn't very physical even though he is tall, and there isn't that much film on him. ARob has the most athletic upside IMO and the best chance to sneak into a day 2 spot after Grant. Collier is a little streaky, probably not as good technically even though he has had a lot of snaps, and a little grabby. I think he is similar to Nevelle Clark and I expect a similar outcome for him.

I think Gowan and Robinson earned the highest PFF grades on defense last year. Another similar year should put them in the top 5 rounds of the draft.

Last edited:
Interesting take, I see Nixon as a sure round 3-4 type of guy like Gabe. I also see Marlon at a round 3-6 type of guy, I think his production will matter. And I can even see J Harris getting drafted. He reminds me of Akins, still a work in progress but has tremendous measurables and has a high ceiling.
I dont know man I will be pretty shocked if we have 5-7 names called. A lot of dudes will be super borderline.
I think Gowan and Robinson earned the highest PFF grades on defense last year. Another similar year should put them in the top 5 rounds of the draft.

I agree Gowan and A-Rob grade out the best in coverage last year, if they keep producing they will have good shots. It really would take a lot in my opinion to have 2 DB's in the first 3 rounds and 4 total DB's drafted. That honestly sounds like Alabama or Ohio State and I think we should relax a little bit. Also Grant has an NFL body and makes tackles which matters a lot and isn't captured by PFF well IMO.

Reactions: PhDee

Davis was established after his sophomore season and went right past Nixon in terms of best WR. Nixon is not coming into the season with that sort of hype, nor do I see him having the same impact as Davis on the field.

Reactions: shacket
Davis was established after his sophomore season and went right past Nixon in terms of best WR. Nixon is not coming into the season with that sort of hype, nor do I see him having the same impact as Davis on the field.
Completely respect your opinion, but I am going to predict Nixon gets drafted higher than Gabe.

We are going really fast this year, faster than ever before.

I predict we will have our top 4 receivers with at least 3,000 receiving yards combined (Tre, Marlon, Jacob, Flash)

Reactions: KnightLife1
Nixon runs a 4.35 second 40 compared to the 4.55 time of Gabe Davis. Gabe was excellent for us. But so too does Nixon have many positives that will shine even more for him as he gets more touches.

Nixon has good hands, makes quick cuts in running routes and has good footwork in avoiding press coverage bumps. He tracks the ball well in contested pass situations. For these and other reasons, I feel he will have a monster year.

Nixon runs a 4.35 second 40 compared to the 4.55 time of Gabe Davis. Gabe was excellent for us. But so too does Nixon have many positives that will shine even more for him as he gets more touches.

Nixon has good hands, makes quick cuts in running routes and has good footwork in avoiding press coverage bumps. He tracks the ball well in contested pass situations. For these and other reasons, I feel he will have a monster year.
Let's hope this continues when he is facing the #1 cover corner on every team we play with safety help over the top. Some players handle becoming "the guy" and some don't.

I agree he has better physical tools than GD and can be as much or more of a force. I hope he runs a 4.35, but honestly those are rare and I will have to see him post that at the combine before I would bet on it.

Let's hope this continues when he is facing the #1 cover corner on every team we play with safety help over the top. Some players handle becoming "the guy" and some don't.

I agree he has better physical tools than GD and can be as much or more of a force. I hope he runs a 4.35, but honestly those are rare and I will have to see him post that at the combine before I would bet on it.
How do you feel Nixon will perform this year and what is your basis for your projection?

How do you feel Nixon will perform this year and what is your basis for your projection?
1,100 - 1,200 yard season, round 3-4 pick. The only thing I see messing that up for him is if Marlon gets a lot of targets and lowers his attempts. DG threw it A LOT to Davis last year, I think more than the staff would like for him to be targeting 1 guy, so I expect Nixon to get fewer targets than Davis had.

My basis is I think scouts will look at him as a talented, fast (Im guessing 4.38 - 4.43), UCF receiver. I expect him to be the 6th - 10th receiver taken in the draft, so in a normal draft that falls about rounds 3-4. This is about in line with Davis and Tre'Quan.

It's possible Nixon puts on a crazy combine, like a Breshad Perriman type deal, and that could sneak him higher.

Reactions: KnightLife1
Here is the 247 profile that shows he ran a verified 4.38 in HS. Sorry but I can't locate the source that I saw as showing him running a 4.35.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tre-Nixon-58441/high-school-101423/

He was the Florida Class7A player of the year in his senior year. They went to the state championship while he was there so he saw plenty of talented Florida DBs who are typically as talented as any DBS in the nation and go on to be some of the best DBs in college. He had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Penn St. and Ole Miss. So it is not only I who believes he can be a game changer. A 4.38 is more than sufficient to smoke almost any DB in college on a go route.

2019 Receiving Stats: Receptions/Yds./Avg.
Gabe, 72/1241/17.2

Marlon, 51/717/14.1

Tre, 49/830/16.9

So last year Gabe had 72 receptions. Since those touches go away I believe they will be shared by Marlon and Trey mostly, although of course Flash and others may get some of those touches.

I agree with you that maybe Tre does not get as many receptions next year as Gabe had last year, given that he and Marlon will both be likely to share the leadership role as receivers. But I think Tre's increase in touches will likely be greater than the increase in touches for Marlon since Tre is more likely to be our go-to deep threat due to his speed.

If you compare the yards-per-catch from last season, the 2.8 yards-per-catch difference between the two is a 19.8% increase in yards per catch in favor of Tre. So Tre clearly is more of a big-play guy than Marlon. I also agree with you in regard to your estimate of the yards that Tre may end up with for the season. I think 1200-1400 seems about right given the number of weapons who will share the luv.

I think they are both very good receivers but with different strengths. Tre is likely to be our best deep threat. Marlon is a sure-handed and powerful underneath and across the middle type receiver who can overpower defensive backs to get additional yards after the catch.

I think Tre and Marlin will both have very successful years this upcoming season. I am excited to see how they can complement each other on the field. Not to mention the elusive skills that Flash will also provide. It could be an exciting season with DG getting multiple guys involved.

Last edited:
Here is the 247 profile that shows he ran a verified 4.38 in HS. Sorry but I can't locate the source that I saw as showing him running a 4.35.

https://247sports.com/Player/Tre-Nixon-58441/high-school-101423/

He was the Florida Class7A player of the year in his senior year. They went to the state championship while he was there so he saw plenty of talented Florida DBs who are typically as talented as any DBS in the nation and go on to be some of the best DBs in college. He had offers from Alabama, Georgia, Penn St. and Ole Miss. So it is not only I who believes he can be a game changer. A 4.38 is more than sufficient to smoke almost any DB in college on a go route.

2019 Receiving Stats: Receptions/Yds./Avg.
Gabe, 72/1241/17.2

Marlon, 51/717/14.1

Tre, 49/830/16.9

So last year Gabe had 72 receptions. Since those touches go away I believe they will be shared by Marlon and Trey mostly, although of course Flash and others make get some of those touches.

I agree with you that maybe Tre does not get as many receptions next year as Gabe had last year, given that he and Marlon will both be likely to share the leadership role as receivers. But I think Tre's increase in touches will likely be greater than the increase in touches for Marlon since Tre is more likely to be our go-to deep threat due to his speed.

If you compare the yards-per-catch from last season, the 2.8 yards-per-catch difference between the two is a 19.8% increase in yards per catch in favor of Tre. So Tre clearly is more of a big-play guy than Marlon. I also agree with you in regard to your estimate of the yards that Tre may end up with for the season. I think 1200-1400 seems about right given the number of weapons who will share the luv.

I think they are both very good receivers but with different strengths. Tre is likely to be our best deep threat. Marlon is a sure-handed and powerful underneath and across the middle type receiver who can overpower defensive backs to get additional yards after the catch.

I think Tre and Marlin will both have very successful years this upcoming season. I am excited to see how they can complement each other on the field. Not to mention the elusive skills that Flash will also provide. It could be an exciting season with DG getting multiple guys involved.
Agree with all of this. I just struggle to imagine both Tre and Marlon going in the first 3 rounds, and I think they will be about equally effective. It just seems unlikely for UCF to have 2 high draft picks at WR to me, could be wrong though.

Our passing attack should be great, excited to see it.

I believe they both get drafted. I don't feel I have a good feel for where they go in the draft. So many variables for AAC players. More variables than for P5 guys, even when the talent level of the player is comparable. I will say that I feel Tre SHOULD be off the board by the 3rd round. But that is not a prediction, given the unpredictability of the NFL draft.

Reactions: shacket
ADVERTISEMENT