ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast listening question

EweSeaEff

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2007
Clearwater
Most of the podcasts I've listened to over the last year or so have been short-form. The long-form podcasts I've listened to have primarily been Joe Rogan's and I've listened to those when I'm on a long drive, so starting/stopping/pausing/etc. hasn't been an issue because I'm on a single device (usually my iPhone through Bluetooth in my car). However, I just started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and, more specifically, Blueprint for Armageddon. Each of the Blueprint episodes is over 3 hours long (there are 6 of them) and I'm struggling with listening on my PC while at work and then picking it up on my phone while in the car or at the gym. Right now I'm using iTunes on PC and Apple's podcasts app on my iPhone, but I either can't or don't understand how to "pick up where I left off" from one to the other. For the record, I'm signed in with the same account on each device/application (the only caveat is that I don't really feel like downloading the entire episode on my phone because of storage issues). Is there a better service to accomplish this (e.g., Stitcher, Soundcloud, etc.) or do I just need to bite the bullet and download the episodes?

Two ideas. 1. Why don't you just use your phone while you're at your desk vs trying to use itunes? (ps didn't itunes get discontinued?) 2. I use Spotify for my podcasts and that tracks my progress between phone to pc without a headache. And really, I can seamlessly transition how I'm listening to my spotify account from phone to pc to xbox to home theater receiver to smart tv to smart home without a hiccup.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Two ideas. 1. Why don't you just use your phone while you're at your desk vs trying to use itunes? (ps didn't itunes get discontinued?)
I don't mind listening with headphones while I'm at the gym or in an airplane, but otherwise I can't stand them. I prefer untethered listening. Plus, I'm slightly hard of hearing to begin with and I need to be able to hear my desk phone, colleagues, etc. As for iTunes, yes they're phasing it out and it will be replaced by standalone apps (e.g., Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, etc.). At least that's my understanding; however, for now, iTunes is still active. The one unknown for me (admittedly I haven't researched it enough to see if the answer is out there - although, I'm sure it is) is whether this only applies to Macs or if it will also apply to Windows-based systems. I'm on Windows, so I'm not sure how if a standalone Apple Music or Apple Podcast app will be available.

2. I use Spotify for my podcasts and that tracks my progress between phone to pc without a headache. And really, I can seamlessly transition how I'm listening to my spotify account from phone to pc to xbox to home theater receiver to smart tv to smart home without a hiccup.
Thank you. I have Spotify on my computer and phone, so maybe I should try that.

ETA: That was easy. Just found the answer re: iTunes on Windows (emphasis mine):

On June 3, at WWDC 2019, Apple announced that iTunes as we know it will be discontinued due to macOS-related updates that will take the app in another direction, ending its current iteration. As "iTunes Is Dead" stories spread across the internet, many non-Mac iPhone users were wondering if iTunes will retire on Windows, too. For, if iTunes is only being phased out for new Mac programs, wouldn't it stand to reason that the loophole to iTunes' D-Day might exist on a PC?

According to PC Mag, iTunes will indeed live on within Windows, at least for the time being. When macOS 10.15 Catalina rolls out later this year, Mac users will notice that iTunes is gone, leaving Music, Podcast, and Apple TV apps in its place. So, your music isn't going anywhere, just the way you watch media is about to get Kardashian-pantry-level organized. For many Mac users, the change isn't a bad one, and frankly they're used to frequent — and sometimes drastic — changes between operating systems. But for now, iTunes will remain on Windows computers, so all of the nostalgic PC users who love iTunes are protected.

According to Microsoft, iTunes is holds the number one ranking on the Windows app store, pushing Netflix out to third place and Instagram to fourth place — a clear indication that Windows users would be the most seriously affected by the change. Apple might eventually phase out iTunes completely, but for now, it seems like Windows users can enjoy the service at its current version, without issue.

Most of the podcasts I've listened to over the last year or so have been short-form. The long-form podcasts I've listened to have primarily been Joe Rogan's and I've listened to those when I'm on a long drive, so starting/stopping/pausing/etc. hasn't been an issue because I'm on a single device (usually my iPhone through Bluetooth in my car). However, I just started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and, more specifically, Blueprint for Armageddon. Each of the Blueprint episodes is over 3 hours long (there are 6 of them) and I'm struggling with listening on my PC while at work and then picking it up on my phone while in the car or at the gym. Right now I'm using iTunes on PC and Apple's podcasts app on my iPhone, but I either can't or don't understand how to "pick up where I left off" from one to the other. For the record, I'm signed in with the same account on each device/application (the only caveat is that I don't really feel like downloading the entire episode on my phone because of storage issues). Is there a better service to accomplish this (e.g., Stitcher, Soundcloud, etc.) or do I just need to bite the bullet and download the episodes?
Not sure about the tech, but that series was one of my personal favorites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT