ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Better than last year?

UCFhonors

Todd's Tiki Bar
Feb 20, 2010
No doubt that we have better athletes this year which proven by DJ cutting players to make room for the new ones. Everyone one knows that teams sports isn’t always about having the best players. Teamwork, chemistry, and intensity can be far more important than pure athleticism.

Like last year...won't know till half-way through conf play...as UCF had trouble winning on the road in CUSA (and lost some bad games at home too).

Unfortunately for this year's team, due to all the suspensions, this hasn't been a normal start to a season, because almost every game, DJ has had to change his line-up, move players to different positions, all to fill holes.

Will be interesting to see how AJ can "get back in the flow" of things come Dec 30th (his first game back)...because he will have just 1 non-conf game to get ready prior to the start of CUSA Conf Play (Jan 4th vs TULANE in CUSA opener).

Yeah the suspensions have hurt us. But, they also have allowed the younger players to play. I think we have had some real tests so far with UCONN, FSU, Harvard, like last year's, UF, Miami, & USF. Seems comparable from year to year.

The biggest difference I see is, last year we blew out lesser opponents and this year those games are close. I don't know how much you can read into that.

Originally posted by UCFhonors:
Yeah the suspensions have hurt us. But, they also have allowed the younger players to play. I think we have had some real tests so far with UCONN, FSU, Harvard, like last year's, UF, Miami, & USF. Seems comparable from year to year.

The biggest difference I see is, last year we blew out lesser opponents and this year those games are close. I don't know how much you can read into that.

UCF had another scorer on the court last season (3 year experienced player in Sosa) plus when healthy (or even semi-healthy) Herzog helped clog up the middle and/or block scores of runs to the hoops.

With some closer games than expected this season, that has limited new players like Wilson and Day's some minutes (and in some cases Spurlock) or worse, made them afraid to put up shots in close games (vs if UCF had 25-30 pt plus leads where missed shots wouldn't hurt).

Last year's team struggled on the road in conf play so hopefully this year's team can keep games close and have the confidence to win them late.

Potentially this team could be better this year record wise and on the court. Herzog was huge last year but was riddled with injuries all year. The development of Sykes could prove the difference this year. I think this team is much better 1-4 and comparable at the 5 given Herzog's injuries last year and Crittle's play so far this year.

We beat College of Charleston and they are 8-1 now including wins over Clemson and Tennesee.

I think we are a really dangerous team in CUSA. Memphis will see how much we improved on the court when we beat them this year.

Too early to know. Once everyone is back and up to speed we will know more. One good thing with suspensions this year, legs may be fresher later in the year. If we can avoid the injury bug, we could be a pretty tough bunch, A year of extra experience can be huge for the guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT