ADVERTISEMENT

Position group talk. Stronger/Weaker

Stormthecourt?

Golden Knight
Jan 19, 2012
I’ll start with the Offensive Line. I thought they were really good this year but I think they can be dominant next season. The way Jake Brown played in the bowl, hudanick healthy, ND transfer, 3 Juco guys.

Reactions: JAFFX2
I’ll start with the Offensive Line. I thought they were really good this year but I think they can be dominant next season. The way Jake Brown played in the bowl, hudanick healthy, ND transfer, 3 Juco guys.

OL is about chemistry. With several new starters probably coming in...OL will be a question mark till they actually perform in real games.

Losing Hughes hurts DBs, but everyone else returns and we get a full year of Nevelle Clarke, who impressed me a lot. May be slightly better as a group in the secondary overall. Stay off the grass, boys!

Curious about what will happen with running backs. Frost used Killins a lot, but doesn't Heupel favor big bruising guys for that?

Clarke impressed you? I feel like he held people a lot and got burned multple times. Perhaps he was getting back into game shape or something. I expect fall off from our DLine. Offense will probably keep rolling unless the OL struggles.
Connors, Hill, and Hayes in the middle and all the 6’5” new guys on the outside.

With the OL talent and Elarbee coaching them up I don’t see how that group struggles

Clarke impressed you? I feel like he held people a lot and got burned multple times. Perhaps he was getting back into game shape or something. I expect fall off from our DLine. Offense will probably keep rolling unless the OL struggles.

Yea I thought he was by far the weaker link in the secondary. for sure the corners. He tackled in space well but he was always on the bad end of deep balls. Getting burned consistently. Tre Neal needs to do a better job of tackling in the open field for sure. With a huge hole now that Hughes left, I think the secondary takes a little step back.

I worry about our Linebackers. Jasinski is back which is great, but we are losing Burkett and Shaquem. Bacote should be back so he'll fill in one of those spots, but I don't know who else will be there.

Reactions: knight_tracker
Yea I thought he was by far the weaker link in the secondary. for sure the corners. He tackled in space well but he was always on the bad end of deep balls. Getting burned consistently. Tre Neal needs to do a better job of tackling in the open field for sure. With a huge hole now that Hughes left, I think the secondary takes a little step back.
Did we have a DB transfers that sat out this year? The OL was lights out this year and will be just as good next year. DL and LB is my biggest concern going into 2018. I think TE was addressed with JR College and appears we have some younger guys ready to compete."Roberson & Hescock":sunglasses:

I can't think of a position group that shouldn't be stronger except for depth at QB.....we really don't know what we have there and hope Heupel can bring in a talented taller dual threat guy.

Not a bad position to be in for a National Champion

I worry about our Linebackers. Jasinski is back which is great, but we are losing Burkett and Shaquem. Bacote should be back so he'll fill in one of those spots, but I don't know who else will be there.
I expect Gilyard and Sterling Jones to come in and ball

Did we have a DB transfers that sat out this year? The OL was lights out this year and will be just as good next year. DL and LB is my biggest concern going into 2018. I think TE was addressed with JR College and appears we have some younger guys ready to compete."Roberson & Hescock":sunglasses:
Maybe it was Bama transfer Burgess-Becker at LB that I was thinking of?:sunglasses:

Lets not forget about Wyatt Miller, will be a great leader as a senior!

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Curious about what will happen with running backs. Frost used Killins a lot, but doesn't Heupel favor big bruising guys for that?

He does but that said CJH will not abandon our key skills and strengths, perhaps we will see more of OJ and AK in the slot.

Did we have a DB transfers that sat out this year?

Yes we did, DB Alabama......from July 2017

Alabama defensive back Aaron Robinson, a highly touted prospect out of Deerfield Beach High in the Class of 2016, announced Saturday he will be transferring to UCF.

Robinson, who was ranked among the top 50 cornerbacks in the nation by 247Sports coming out of Deerfield, is the second Alabama player to transfer to UCF in the past two years. He joins Shawn Burgess-Becker, a Class of 2015 product of Coconut Creek Monarch High, who will be a sophomore this season at UCF after sitting out this past season as a transfer.

Yes we did, DB Alabama......from July 2017

Alabama defensive back Aaron Robinson, a highly touted prospect out of Deerfield Beach High in the Class of 2016, announced Saturday he will be transferring to UCF.

Robinson, who was ranked among the top 50 cornerbacks in the nation by 247Sports coming out of Deerfield, is the second Alabama player to transfer to UCF in the past two years. He joins Shawn Burgess-Becker, a Class of 2015 product of Coconut Creek Monarch High, who will be a sophomore this season at UCF after sitting out this past season as a transfer.
Good thing. We will likely need him next season

6’1” 173 lb Athlete out of high school. 5.5 star according to Rivals

Connors, Hill, and Hayes in the middle and all the 6’5” new guys on the outside.

With the OL talent and Elarbee coaching them up I don’t see how that group struggles

6’7” new guys and there is a 6’8” guy. Can’t wait to see them. I think the Oregon transfer is a DT.

DB = Same or better??? Hughes leaving hurts. His speed and athleticism was obvious, and nobody else back there had it. Everybody else in the unit comes back, including the backups, which were a bunch of FR or RsFR (Collier and Grant made big plays. Tre Neal and Clarke got experience this year. As many bonehead plays as they made, they also made good plays. If they get just a little better, the whole unit can only get better.
LB = Big drop-off. Doesn't mean they will suck but they could. We don't just replace a dominant, disruptive player like Shaqueem, and lose a solid senior player like Burkett. The next guy wasn't on the field this year.
DL = ??? Our D-Line was so-so this year. They were made better by Shaqueem, who freed up the line for one-on-one match-ups. They won't get that next season. There is new, better talent (on paper) that will be on the field. Don't forget, we have a big ? on the Oregon 5-star transfer. If he doesn't have immediate concussion issues that kind of player can change a whole defense. That said, he hasn't played the last two seasons. In any case, he's obviously a gifted athlete and can help on the field somewhere.
OL = Looked great against Auburn. I thought we'd get worked at LT but we didn't so I think we're good. Line is probably better.
WR = Maybe slightly worse???? Tre'quan was a monster, both catching and blocking. That said, we have a big stable of guys and we'll have to see who steps up. Davis and Williams looked great for being true freshman.
TE = Worse. We don't know what we have until we see it but we did have a 4-star TE from Wisconsin that sat out last year (I think?)
RB = Better. Bigger, stronger, faster.
QB = Same or better. Heisman level QB can make up for other deficiencies.
Coaching = The biggest question mark. New coaches. New System (similar but still different).

Forgot Special teams. Big dropoff in PR/KR.

Last edited:
OL should be even better with new line coach and some of the 2s such as Jackson (big dude) working into the starting rotation.

RBs should be excellent with Hamilton back, Richardson and Thompson so we don't have to watch 160 lb. backs run up the middle.

I looking forward to some red shirts getting into 2-deep as well. Other than TE, I don't see new recruits starting.

OL should be even better with new line coach and some of the 2s such as Jackson (big dude) working into the starting rotation.

RBs should be excellent with Hamilton back, Richardson and Thompson so we don't have to watch 160 lb. backs run up the middle.

I looking forward to some red shirts getting into 2-deep as well. Other than TE, I don't see new recruits starting.
Maybe freshman at LB

Do these transfers get counted in any recruiting rankings?

No. I've noticed there's typically not a ton of coverage on transfers who have to sit out a year after the initial news that they're transferring in football. Especially when they come from a P5 school. They spin it as he couldn't make it or no room for him.

QB Better
OL Better
LB Worse
CB Maybe stays the same. Hughes was a loss but I think the new guys and the transfer will pick things up
RB better
TE Worse
WR I think overall we will see the ball spread more but we lose a #1 target obviously.

QB Better
OL Better
LB Worse
CB Maybe stays the same. Hughes was a loss but I think the new guys and the transfer will pick things up
RB better
TE Worse
WR I think overall we will see the ball spread more but we lose a #1 target obviously.
DL?

By the way UCF Sports just updated the Football team Roster today. MM now listed as a junior

I’m not worried about WR. There are only so many balls to go around. When you are WR1, you’re going to get targeted more, thus, have more production. Snelson or someone else will take over that role.

Reactions: Mikesi
Don't forget Sam Jackson. He has been a stud this season as a freshman at left guard.
If you put him at guard and Hudanick at the other and slide Brown to LT we already have a returning starting Oline. Those 5 are really good and we have at least 4 good linemen coming in who could battle for a spot. I really think we will crush people on the line next season

Reactions: KnightLife1
OL is about chemistry. With several new starters probably coming in...OL will be a question mark till they actually perform in real games.
Those question marks have already been answered. Jake Brown started at left tackle against Auburn and did fine. Boudreaux is definitely a strong presence at RG and anyone who has watched him on tape knows there is a reason that he was recruited to Notre Dame...he is an absolute stud. All other OL's return.

This analysis does not mention that Aaron Robinson, cornerback transfer from Alabama, will be eligible to play in 2018. He is a shutdown in coverage and known as a sure tackler. In other words, he is a complete replacement of Hughes.

This analysis does not mention that Aaron Robinson, cornerback transfer from Alabama, will be eligible to play in 2018. He is a shutdown in coverage and known as a sure tackler. In other words, he is a complete replacement of Hughes.
Complete replacement? Hughes is a legend. I hope you’re right

DB = Same or better??? Hughes leaving hurts. His speed and athleticism was obvious, and nobody else back there had it. Everybody else in the unit comes back, including the backups, which were a bunch of FR or RsFR (Collier and Grant made big plays. Tre Neal and Clarke got experience this year. As many bonehead plays as they made, they also made good plays. If they get just a little better, the whole unit can only get better.
LB = Big drop-off. Doesn't mean they will suck but they could. We don't just replace a dominant, disruptive player like Shaqueem, and lose a solid senior player like Burkett. The next guy wasn't on the field this year.
DL = ??? Our D-Line was so-so this year. They were made better by Shaqueem, who freed up the line for one-on-one match-ups. They won't get that next season. There is new, better talent (on paper) that will be on the field. Don't forget, we have a big ? on the Oregon 5-star transfer. If he doesn't have immediate concussion issues that kind of player can change a whole defense. That said, he hasn't played the last two seasons. In any case, he's obviously a gifted athlete and can help on the field somewhere.
OL = Looked great against Auburn. I thought we'd get worked at LT but we didn't so I think we're good. Line is probably better.
WR = Maybe slightly worse???? Tre'quan was a monster, both catching and blocking. That said, we have a big stable of guys and we'll have to see who steps up. Davis and Williams looked great for being true freshman.
TE = Worse. We don't know what we have until we see it but we did have a 4-star TE from Wisconsin that sat out last year (I think?)
RB = Better. Bigger, stronger, faster.
QB = Same or better. Heisman level QB can make up for other deficiencies.
Coaching = The biggest question mark. New coaches. New System (similar but still different).
Drop off at LB??? We heard that same statement after last year because we were losing 3 starters. To say there is a drop off, you not only look at who is leaving, but you also have to compare it to who replaces them. Otherwise, the analysis is only half complete. Yes, Shaqueem leaves, but Bacote, Burgess-Becker, Jones and Gilyard can all be very disruptive and all some of the most powerful tacklers that we have seen in the last 5 years. Drop off at LB, I beg to differ.

Worse at TE? Not at all. Hescock went to Wisconsin. They love physical play there so that is the first clue that he will be at least as good if not better of a blocking TE as what we had this season. Roberson, we know, as we have seen it in his tape, and at last year's Spring game, is a huge playmaker as a TE. Also, he makes yards after the catch and even after contact, which Akins was not known for as soon as a defender made contact with him, he would go down, even if it were a DB who he outweighed by 50-70 lbs. I am pleased to let you know, there will not be a drop off at TE.

Don't forget Luyanda and Evans return in the ILB positions. Also, Jones, who is an absolute stud will now be available as a redshirt freshman. I think we will be very impressed by his play. Also, Burgess-Becker and Gilyard will both provide solid OLB options in addition to Titus Davis who returns. Lastly, Mitchell is becoming more comfortable at OLB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT