ADVERTISEMENT

Power 5 Talking About Canceling Sports in the Fall.

Today there is more chatter including the SEC on moving the start to the spring 2021. I'll be glad when we finally know what is happening
:cool:

Nebraska can come play in AAC for the year, but not sure if they will be competitive from Day 1
I wonder if Frosty is still looking for games this fall as the Big 10 is still dangling that carrot in front of everyone with the possibility of playing in the Spring. Not sure that would go over well if Nebraska played in the fall and then the Big 10 plays in the spring. I wonder if Nebraska would like to go back to the Big 12? So many question!:cool:

Reactions: Knight Strength
I think Nebraska knows they cant do much, in my opinion they are making noise on the behalf of their fanbase. Unlike most schools in the Big 10, Nebraska and Iowa have entire economies and state pride cemented in college football. There really isn't much else, for a football stadium to become the 3rd largest city in the entire state on Saturdays lets you know how integral it is to their way of life. And their fans have been so loyal throughout all the terrible years I think they had to put on a show for them as futile as it is. They represent rural America similarly to teams like Oklahoma and Alabama which have no real professional teams to care about, which is why I believe a conference like the SEC would probably exhaust all other options before ever cancelling football. Cant lie though I am surprised to see a blue blood team dismissed like that by sports media, thought that energy was only reserved for us regular programs 🥶 cold world

Last edited:
Universities and schools are requiring returning students to sign liability waivers, but the NCAA will not allow the same for student athletes to allow for sports to go forward. Doesn't make much sense.

Sample from Penn State's waiver for students returning:
I acknowledge that the Centers for Disease Control, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the Pennsylvania State University have issued rules and precautions that may, or may not, be effective in mitigating the spread of COVID-19, and that it is my responsibility to follow these and other directives to protect myself and others from the substantial risks posed by this virus. I assume any and all risk of exposure to COVID-19 that may result from attending Penn State, or participating in Penn State activities, and I acknowledge that exposure or infection may result in personal injury, illness, permanent disability, or death.

Why are people shitting on Nebraska wanting to play? I want to play too. If AAC says no and we can go Indy for a year or CUSA or whatever, I’d be behind it. A nasal spray was introduced that helps. Russia may have a vaccine. It’s near.

Reactions: Endeavor.
Interesting Finebaum, said today; "he doesn't think spring football will happen." Of course he is sometimes clueless, so take it for what it is worth. :cool:

I think Nebraska knows they cant do much, in my opinion they are making noise on the behalf of their fanbase. Unlike most schools in the Big 10, Nebraska and Iowa have entire economies and state pride cemented in college football. There really isn't much else, for a football stadium to become the 3rd largest city in the entire state on Saturdays lets you know how integral it is to their way of life. And their fans have been so loyal throughout all the terrible years I think they had to put on a show for them as futile as it is. They represent rural America similarly to teams like Oklahoma and Alabama which have no real professional teams to care about, which is why I believe a conference like the SEC would probably exhaust all other options before ever cancelling football. Cant lie though I am surprised to see a blue blood team dismissed like that by sports media, thought that energy was only reserved for us regular programs 🥶
I like to feed conspiracy theories...sometimes...maybe it's an indirect way to say they are open to discussing a move to another conference. At least talking about it. Yeah, the money is very, very good in the Big10 but do they feel like they belong in the Big10 or are just an outsider looking in? One site I looked at resulted in about a 16 Million/year difference between being in the Big10 vs the Big12. That's real money. To me, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers just don't seem like they are ever going to fit in that conference like they belong there. Just my opinion.

I like to feed conspiracy theories...sometimes...maybe it's an indirect way to say they are open to discussing a move to another conference. At least talking about it. Yeah, the money is very, very good in the Big10 but do they feel like they belong in the Big10 or are just an outsider looking in? One site I looked at resulted in about a 16 Million/year difference between being in the Big10 vs the Big12. That's real money. To me, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers just don't seem like they are ever going to fit in that conference like they belong there. Just my opinion.
I agree with this. I realize money is what programs base their decisions off of but how much does culture and proximity to conference mates matter? It might be hard to quantify but I imagine it could matter a lot.

Reactions: mattropolis
I think Nebraska knows they cant do much, in my opinion they are making noise on the behalf of their fanbase. Unlike most schools in the Big 10, Nebraska and Iowa have entire economies and state pride cemented in college football. There really isn't much else, for a football stadium to become the 3rd largest city in the entire state on Saturdays lets you know how integral it is to their way of life. And their fans have been so loyal throughout all the terrible years I think they had to put on a show for them as futile as it is. They represent rural America similarly to teams like Oklahoma and Alabama which have no real professional teams to care about, which is why I believe a conference like the SEC would probably exhaust all other options before ever cancelling football. Cant lie though I am surprised to see a blue blood team dismissed like that by sports media, thought that energy was only reserved for us regular programs 🥶 cold world

pretty much

Nebraska is in no position to go rogue, I am sure conferences have tons of stipulations in their contracts to prevent temporary or permanent departure without paying hefty penalties. It's one thing if someone was trying to leave a lesser P5 conference like Big 12 for Big Ten, but the other way around is detrimental in the long run. It's like AAC cancelling and UCF bolting for CUSA.

I would imagine Frost was told by the Husker management to back off making comments. He's a young coach and is very passionate about playing, but the school is taking some heat on this one from the Big 10 fans. 😎

Bigger programs bigger problems, the grass isn't always greener. Norvell's tenure has started off with multiple scandals before ever coaching a game.. but considering that he was one of the better coaches in the AAC and respected by the players at Memphis I find it hard to believe that his character did a 180 at his new job where he's trying to make a good first impression. To me this is just another example of the circus that FSU's front office has turned into.

Nebraska is in no position to go rogue, I am sure conferences have tons of stipulations in their contracts to prevent temporary or permanent departure without paying hefty penalties. It's one thing if someone was trying to leave a lesser P5 conference like Big 12 for Big Ten, but the other way around is detrimental in the long run. It's like AAC cancelling and UCF bolting for CUSA.
For 1 year I’d do it. I don’t care what conference as long as we can field a team.

For 1 year I’d do it. I don’t care what conference as long as we can field a team.

Just to be clear your jumping ship which can occur financial penalties, for a season where 40% of teams have cancelled, may not happen at all, almost assuredly not finish a complete season, and play with no fans for game day revenue. Seems like in the end the University will lose money just to put a team on the field. Then if anything does go wrong, they will get sued repeatedly because in the end a waiver is not going to keep litigation away, particularly when a large portion of Universities have decided it's not a good idea to play.

Seems like a lot of risk for very little payoff. In the ends it all about money, conferences are cancelling because the risk vs reward is too much.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Just to be clear your jumping ship which can occur financial penalties, for a season where 40% of teams have cancelled, may not happen at all, almost assuredly not finish a complete season, and play with no fans for game day revenue. Seems like in the end the University will lose money just to put a team on the field. Then if anything does go wrong, they will get sued repeatedly because in the end a waiver is not going to keep litigation away, particularly when a large portion of Universities have decided it's not a good idea to play.

Seems like a lot of risk for very little payoff. In the ends it all about money, conferences are cancelling because the risk vs reward is too much.
TV money is worth it. Plus with little to no other options of watching we gain fans. That pays off in long run. Lose money for 1 season to gain in the coming years. That’s how businesses become worth more. Run at a loss to get customers and then turn a profit. The more people that watch us the better.

We wouldn’t “jump ship”. We play as Indy against other schools because our conference is in breech of contract by not scheduling us and by still taking their portion of our tv money and other fees we get charged to be in AAC. AAC does not control if we play or not. Only that the AAC will not create a schedule and play under their umbrella. We hold the cards. There are 4 schools that could break off and make more money very easily. If AAC refuses to play, we can’t be charged by playing. They could “ kick us out” , but we are cash cow right now. They’d have to live with our decision to play. Probably won’t but AAC does not control our destiny.

yeah University Presidents are not this shortsided and if they are then they are not very smart. A Program would look stupid as hell trying to 'jump Leagues' bc the Conference Commissioner is airing on the side of caution during a Global Pandemic.

Reactions: Yaes and Endeavor.
Bigger programs bigger problems, the grass isn't always greener. Norvell's tenure has started off with multiple scandals before ever coaching a game.. but considering that he was one of the better coaches in the AAC and respected by the players at Memphis I find it hard to believe that his character did a 180 at his new job where he's trying to make a good first impression. To me this is just another example of the circus that FSU's front office has turned into.
All that needs to be said --> He bailed on Memphis after they finally cleared a big hurdle (UCF), won an AAC title, and made a NY6 Bowl game. What, was FSU's program going to implode or be in shambles if he spent December (which is largely a dead period anyways) coaching his current team in a NY6 Bowl? I don't think so. If I was FSU I would have wanted him to get that experience of coaching in a game of that magnitude. So as much as Norvell seems like a good coach....One AAC title (played for a total of 3), he's 0-3 in Bowl Games, and no BCS/NY6 Bowl experience. I say FSU took a leap of faith with him. A logical one. For programs like FSU it is about winning games that matter, and not necessarily just about winning a lot of games. I guess we'll find out if he can or can't.

All that needs to be said --> He bailed on Memphis after they finally cleared a big hurdle (UCF), won an AAC title, and made a NY6 Bowl game. What, was FSU's program going to implode or be in shambles if he spent December (which is largely a dead period anyways) coaching his current team in a NY6 Bowl? I don't think so. If I was FSU I would have wanted him to get that experience of coaching in a game of that magnitude. So as much as Norvell seems like a good coach....One AAC title (played for a total of 3), he's 0-3 in Bowl Games, and no BCS/NY6 Bowl experience. I say FSU took a leap of faith with him. A logical one. For programs like FSU it is about winning games that matter, and not necessarily just about winning a lot of games. I guess we'll find out if he can or can't.
Ok he didn't coach Memphis in the bowl game so what? It's actually more common that coaches leave than stay for bowl games, Im going to need you to let it go chief. Frost coached UCF in the NY6 it literally doesn't prove anything, it didn't carry over to NU. Whats with members on this board being hellbent against coaches accepting job growth opportunities?

We wouldn’t “jump ship”. We play as Indy against other schools because our conference is in breech of contract by not scheduling us and by still taking their portion of our tv money and other fees we get charged to be in AAC. AAC does not control if we play or not. Only that the AAC will not create a schedule and play under their umbrella. We hold the cards. There are 4 schools that could break off and make more money very easily. If AAC refuses to play, we can’t be charged by playing. They could “ kick us out” , but we are cash cow right now. They’d have to live with our decision to play. Probably won’t but AAC does not control our destiny.

Go independent and start negotiating games and TV contracts on the fly in mid August, after all the major conferences having put out their schedule. Sounds simple. Though Liberty is available. I wonder why Notre Dame latched on to the ACC.

Go independent and start negotiating games and TV contracts on the fly in mid August, after all the major conferences having put out their schedule. Sounds simple. Though Liberty is available. I wonder why Notre Dame latched on to the ACC.
Basketball I think

Ok he didn't coach Memphis in the bowl game so what? It's actually more common that coaches leave than stay for bowl games, Im going to need you to let it go chief. Frost coached UCF in the NY6 it literally doesn't prove anything, it didn't carry over to NU. Whats with members on this board being hellbent against coaches accepting job growth opportunities?
Who ever said Norvell shouldn't take the FSU job? Coaches skip games but almost every time it's games like the Pullman Weedeater Bowl or some other schlub bowl, and not a NY6 Bowl. Frost coached in that game to get "big game " experience. It was the right decision for the Nebraska program and his resume....even long after it probably doesn't work out in Nebraska. BTW, is it not job growth to coach in a NY6 bowl when you haven't before?

I meant this year for football, ND lost a lot of their games as an independent. And instead of trying to negotiate new ones they joined ACC.
They are a social member of ACC already. Played 4 games as it is. If it was another school they wouldn’t get this luxury. But most of their games are B1G and PAC. 2 leagues that canceled. Ours hasn’t and if it did we just schedule leagues that haven’t thrown in towel. Trust me, those leagues will lose fans and leverage next tv contract.

ADVERTISEMENT