ADVERTISEMENT

Progress and concerns as we hit the halfway point

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
So how are we positioned at the halfway point and after a 5-1 start?

Well, the Offense is starting to gel and should only get better. With 2 new weapons, Hudson and Harvey, contributing, we have a bevy of outstanding athletes. There is a concern at the possible injury to Baker but if the skill positions stay healthy, we'll score a lot of points every week with the right preparation and play calling. So, it's up to Gus and Chip to use all 3 dynamic WR's, our quality RB's and TE's. And JRP has to continue to improve at throwing to the right receiver. He's getting better but needs to be more consistent. The OLine has held their own when they're prepared but D adjustments obviously confuse them. So as they see more defenses, I think they'll be better prepared to react. Bottom line, if the O stays healthy and focused and spreads the ball around, they'll deliver on the promise they made to us at the start of the season that they will score a lot of points every week.

The D has been consistent but still needs to start off games with more energy. Once they settle down and make adjustments, the difference between H1 and H2 is like night and day. Personnel wise the LB's have been a bright spot (especially the 2 D2 transfers) and the DE's are playing lights out. The DL has been good, but depth is now a concern with the injury to Hester and possible injury to Hunter. All while Montalvo has been playing with a broken hand. We need some good news on the health of this room. The DB's have given up a lot of passing yards but they've been solid in the red zone. Overall, the D's goal should be to dominate for the entire 60 minutes (including Q1).

And the ST's have improved dramatically with the changes to K and P. I'm hoping the entire team can improve as much as this unit has. So, at the halfway point and even after the bad Louisville loss, we have the potential to run the table and a chance at a NY6 Bowl game. Grade B+

Agree with the B+ grade, which is boosted by the last two games. Really the back stretch is going to come down to how well we control the offensive line of scrimmage. If we can run the ball effectively it gives JRP so much more leeway in the passing game. Lousiville and GT games showed we struggle when we cant run the ball. Defense has shown more consistency so I'm less worried knock on wood. Just don't want to let teams jump out early or overlook a team and play with low intensity.

Reactions: Oldest Man
I tend to wonder if TWill is feeling the other team out in the 1st quarter while still sticking to his game plan and then starting to make adjustments that end up not really taking a foothold until the 3rd quarter.

Reactions: PhDee
I tend to wonder if TWill is feeling the other team out in the 1st quarter while still sticking to his game plan and then starting to make adjustments that end up not really taking a foothold until the 3rd quarter.
Opponents are averaging just under 4 points against us in the entire 2nd half (excluding SMU's last second TD).

Opponents are averaging just under 10 points against us in the first half.

Opponents are averaging just under 4 points against us in the entire 2nd half (excluding SMU's last second TD).

Opponents are averaging just under 10 points against us in the first half.
While the defense has been solid, id like to see more takeaways. We are basically at +/- 0 for the season. With our offense heating up getting turnovers will help

Progress is the play calling the past 1.5 games being better suited for JP’s skill set. Sure would like to see crossing patterns combined with roll outs with an RPO scheme. Also want to see more Harvey, can run through smaller holes than Bowser and has a better RB skill set than Richardson.

Still concerned about the O-Line versus better opponents, and with Lewis/Jennings gone (I guess) depth at LB.

Reactions: muckdawg24
I think it’s more that the opponent are coming in with perfectly scripted opening and early drives. But when it’s time to play off-script our defense just goes to town, especially when adjustments are made.

I think it’s more that the opponent are coming in with perfectly scripted opening and early drives. But when it’s time to play off-script our defense just goes to town, especially when adjustments are made.
Good point and all the more reason for us to start with a different scheme than they expect. Similar to what Louisville and other D's have done to our O. It should (does) cause problems (it did to our OLine and play calling) if the O isn't prepared.

Offense is trending up because our O-line is finally starting to gel. JRP has more time to throw and the holes are getting wider for our runs between the tackles.

Defensively, we need more INT's from anyone, but especially from our Corners. I bet you can't tell me the last time our Corners had an INT. Here's a hint, you will have to go back to last year.

Reactions: U C to the F
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT