ADVERTISEMENT

Projecting CFBs top 25 RBs for 2019

I think Killins and McRae are a good one two punch. I’d like to see Killins used in different ways- passes, trick plays, etc. He has a big play or two in him every game.

Reactions: ahabmw
Funny, both Frost and Huep did this. Seems to me that there is something there.
You would think that 2 coaches who had us at 25-1 would know what’s best for the team over message board fans, but until someone can tell me why we keep doing this, I’ll say it’s flat out not working. It simply doesn’t work. What can 0-2 yard gains do you on 1st and 2nd downs, other than continuously leaving the offense in 3rd and long situations?

Additionally, Heupel went away from it slightly during the end of the year.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Allegedly brings the secondary closer to
the box and sets up the big play

Haha. “Allegedly”. I got that.
I understand, but that big play only happened sometimes. Most times it was an incompletion.

Last edited:
Going up the middle to bring the secondary up/in is a good strategy... if you are successful enough to be a threat up the middle. If the run is getting stuffed by the Dline, secondary won't come up. A bigger back is better in this strategy. My (admittedly worthless) opinion is that Taj+McCrae would have been a more dominant duo.

Personnel usage in the fiesta bowl (among other things) is still confusing to me.

He’ll probably get less carries this year. I bet that we have two 1000 yard rushers.

My (admittedly worthless) opinion is that Taj+McCrae would have been a more dominant duo.
No.. it isn’t a worthless opinion. Taj would have been the better option.

If Killins was the strategy, then it wasn’t scarring anyone.

Now let’s hear all the posts saying that we scored 40 a game anyway. That so much doesn’t mean a thing. Maybe we could have scored 50-60

Last edited:
No.. it isn’t a worthless opinion. Taj would have been the better option.

If Killins was the strategy, then it wasn’t scaring anyone.

Now let’s hear all the posts saying that we scored 40 a game anyway. That so much doesn’t mean a thing. Maybe we could have scored 50-60
I just mean I'm not a football coach. I do think I'm right.

As much attention as the RB position gets I hope we continue to beef up the Oline. It's the only way were going to keep getting great RBs to come here. And even if we wiff on great RBs, at least we'll have a good enough Oline to make average RBs get yards.

Going up the middle to bring the secondary up/in is a good strategy... if you are successful enough to be a threat up the middle. If the run is getting stuffed by the Dline, secondary won't come up. A bigger back is better in this strategy. My (admittedly worthless) opinion is that Taj+McCrae would have been a more dominant duo.

Personnel usage in the fiesta bowl (among other things) is still confusing to me.

seems like AKs threat to take it to the house has diminished significantly over time.......

Reactions: Ucfmikes
I think it comes down to AK being more of a space player and McCrae being able to read the defense better and adjusting his cuts. I feel like AK doesn't have the vision McCrae does. I don't think that make him less potent, but I think CJH needs to utilize him outside and in space (i.e. bubble screens)

I think it comes down to AK being more of a space player and McCrae being able to read the defense better and adjusting his cuts. I feel like AK doesn't have the vision McCrae does. I don't think that make him less potent, but I think CJH needs to utilize him outside and in space (i.e. bubble screens)
Agree. Trying to understand this for a long time... maybe it would make sense to run him to the outside in order to set him up for a run inside, but I can't see running him inside over and over in order to bring the secondary up.

I think major strengths of AKs are resiliency and work capacity. He doesn't fatigue or slow down after running hard over and over again. This probably lets Heup just use one back for long drives without worrying about the run game stalling as a result of fatigue. I would prefer he use two backs (or anything else) but he has his style and doesn't seem to change it for much (so far).

I think Heup could make any one of a few possible adjustments and see more success.

Maybe he feels less obligation to use AK this season? Last season he would have started the season with fans hating him and questioning his every decision if he didn't use AK. I am excited and nervous to see personnel usage this season.

You would think that 2 coaches who had us at 25-1 would know what’s best for the team over message board fans, but until someone can tell me why we keep doing this, I’ll say it’s flat out not working. It simply doesn’t work. What can 0-2 yard gains do you on 1st and 2nd downs, other than continuously leaving the offense in 3rd and long situations?

Additionally, Heupel went away from it slightly during the end of the year.

You can't really argue with success. You can but it is pointless. Also I think that there was nobody that was truly successful as that up the middle back until McCrae blossomed at the end of last year.

Agree. Trying to understand this for a long time... maybe it would make sense to run him to the outside in order to set him up for a run inside, but I can't see running him inside over and over in order to bring the secondary up.

I think major strengths of AKs are resiliency and work capacity. He doesn't fatigue or slow down after running hard over and over again. This probably lets Heup just use one back for long drives without worrying about the run game stalling as a result of fatigue. I would prefer he use two backs (or anything else) but he has his style and doesn't seem to change it for much (so far).

I think Heup could make any one of a few possible adjustments and see more success.

Maybe he feels less obligation to use AK this season? Last season he would have started the season with fans hating him and questioning his every decision if he didn't use AK. I am excited and nervous to see personnel usage this season.

I also think that KZ was able to work well in 3rd and long. My guess is that we will not have as much of a luxury this season when stuck in 3rd and long.

You can but it is pointless.
It’s not pointless. There’s ALWAYS room for improvement. We could have lost multiple games and still could. Killins did nothing on one drive vs LSU. He ran out of bounds for a loss.

It’s simply NOT effective. Why do something continuously that isn’t working? Isn’t that the definition of insanity?

It’s not pointless. There’s ALWAYS room for improvement. We could have lost multiple games and still could. Killins did nothing on one drive vs LSU. He ran out of bounds for a loss.

It’s simply NOT effective. Why do something continuously that isn’t working? Isn’t that the definition of insanity?
Because when they run film on the games there is something happening that we dont see but they like. They study all of this stuff

I always thought that having a 5'10" QB handing off to a 5'8" RB was a problem. Once the QB or RB were replaced with a larger player, things started to happen.

Because when they run film on the games there is something happening that we dont see but they like. They study all of this stuff
That’s cool. They can study and see all they want.

Hope that they run the same plays then. Just plug in #30 wherever #9 was supposed to be

Reactions: firm_bizzle
ADVERTISEMENT