ADVERTISEMENT

Push SMU back 1 week?

Why? if it hits Wednesday it will be long gone by Saturday

also that would give SMU the advantage bc it gives them a chance to regroup after a rivalry game

Reactions: CBlackwellRN
This one looks bad.

145524_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Reactions: Yaes
This one looks bad.

145524_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
This doesnt look bad this ot the most ridiculous media induced sensationalized storm yet. Its an October storm that isnt 1. A hurricane yet. And 2 only expected to be a category 2.

Save the this looks bad to next week when it is or isnt a real storm and is still 3-4 days from a landfall

Friday is usually walk through so Thursday is the only day it could possibly disrupt practice and we have an indoor facility.

Why? if it hits Wednesday it will be long gone by Saturday

also that would give SMU the advantage bc it gives them a chance to regroup after a rivalry game
Because we would lose practice days

And players would be under stress as a result of food/water shortages, class schedule changes, family stresses, power outages, etc.

Not all of our players are South Florida born who know what to expect.

Yes it gives SMU more time, but also gives us the same.

This doesnt look bad this ot the most ridiculous media induced sensationalized storm yet. Its an October storm that isnt 1. A hurricane yet. And 2 only expected to be a category 2.

Save the this looks bad to next week when it is or isnt a real storm and is still 3-4 days from a landfall
A Major hurricane is a category 3 and above:

111-129 mphDevastating damage will occur: Well-built framed homes may incur major damage or removal of roof decking and gable ends. Many trees will be snapped or uprooted, blocking numerous roads. Electricity and water will be unavailable for several days to weeks after the storm passes.

As someone who has lived in Florida his entire life, I believe that only a fool would dismiss a force of nature that produces winds of up to 129 MPH.

Reactions: PhDee
Because we would lose practice days and players could be under stress as a result of food/ water shortages, class schedule changes, family stresses, power outages, etc.
Speaking of....I plan on topping off some gas cans tonight just to be safe. A decent generator burns through gas quick, especially when you try to run a small window AC unit off of it.

Because we would lose practice days and players could be under stress as a result of food/water shortages, class schedule changes, family stresses, power outages, etc.

Yes it gives SMU more time, but also gives us the same.
UCF’s campus is not in Fort Myers

think it is too soon to freak out about a system that is still a Depression

That's fair, let's see how things look early next week.
I'm still not taking any chances. Sure, I won't board up my house any time soon, but I at least plan on topping off some gas tanks just to be safe. Some people go overboard and others don't do anything. IMO, it is best to be somewhere in the middle.

Still has to cross cuba which has lots of mountains and it is moving fast enough that it may nit have enough time to strengthen. Lets play on wednesday
One good thing about being in the Orlando and Central Florida area is that due to the path that these things take, they are often weakened by the time they get up here.

Should know well before SMU has to get on a plane whether there will be widespread power outages in central Florida or not. Anyone who was at UCF when Charley in 2004 rolled through remembers it's possible, however unlikely, to significantly disrupt normal life in the area for a few days to a week despite being inland. Ohh, and we went on to win 0 games that season. Fun times.

Irma didn’t even directly hit the Orlando area in 2017 and caused widespread damage and flooding in the area. Can’t really assume at this point that everyone will be good to go a few days after this storm no matter where it directly hits.

Forecast track has shifted west again. The 11 AM Sept 24 run shows landfall around Cedar Key area . Looks better for Orlando each run.

Y'all have some good stories about property destruction. Here is a story of almost personal destruction. Back in 2000 I bought a Perception 5.0 surf kayak and I loved it. I was pretty good at it and I still have that boat. Around 2002 -2003 time frame we had tropical storm pass the Atlantic side of Florida. Once it got north of Daytona I decided to go surf kayaking at NSB.

I get to the beach and see surfers hitting the massive swells and I get my kayak ,my lotus designs PFD, my helmet and brand new carbon fiber paddle and head out to the surf. I paddle through the first shore break and get to the second set on the outer bar. Then I am setting up to catch this wave and it builds quickly as it approaches the bar and it begins to break . It breaks or closes out right on me. This wave was easily 6-7 feet high and I am blown off my kayak. I have a leash and it breaks . I hold onto my paddle and try to catch my boat. I can't do it. I am in the water swimming and holding onto my paddle and just getting the crap beat out of me by the raging surf . I swim like for 20 minutes or so and I reach the beach and my kayak about 1 mile or so south of where I parked my car as the long shore current was ripping. I was exhausted but I lived to tell the tale. I figured if a dude can surf it with a 6 foot board I could surf it with 10 foot sit on top kayak designed for big wave riding . I was wrong , it's not the size of the wave it's the roughness of the surf that mattered .

Straight up if not but for my life jacket I would have drowned . It was the first and last time I will ever surf during a tropical system . I don't know how those real surfers do it ! I did surf at Cape San Blas when a tropical storm was making land fall in New Orleans. The waves were perfect! It was some of the best kayak surfing I have ever done .

Last edited:
USF cancelled classes Monday-Thursday

think UCF is East enough that they won’t cancel a week’s worth of classes

The 8am advisory is out and gulp - the model shows it now shifting to the east. IMO, I don't think we postpone the game - but I do see SMU flying in a day or two early in order to "beat" the storm here. If they don't, then we might be forced to postpone.

Not sure.

102341_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Reactions: Knight Strength
This may affect several college football games on Saturday, namely the following:

Eastern Washington @ Florida
Wake Forest @ Florida State
Southern Methodist @ UCF
Virginia Tech @ North Carolina
Citadel @ Appalachian State
Gardner Webb @ Marshall
Georgia Southern @ Coastal Carolina
Liberty @ Old Dominion
East Carolina @ South Florida
Troy @ Western Kentucky
NC State @ Clemson
Virginia @ Duke

EDIT: The South Florida, Florida, Coastal Carolina, Clemson, and Duke games are going to get postponed, IMO. Definately SFU and the Gators.

Don't know what will happen but it this makes it a little more likely the game is canceled or postponed.
If SMU flies in by Wednesday and waits it out and assuming that there aren't any major outages or damage in the area, then I think the game goes on. If they can't get here by then, we push it off a week and we call this our bye week.

That said, this has the potential to screw up a lot of games this weekend in the south.

These are the worst where they just approach and then throw on the brakes and sit there dumping rain for days. Thing looks like it's going to crawl over FL Wednesday through Friday.

I mean Charlie was a 1 when it got over my house and I didnt have power for 3 weeks.
More importantly any storm limits our ability to practice. We arent having guys prep on wed or thurs if there are tropical force winds outside.

it is just annoying that Saturday it will be perfect weather . The only day it may disrupt practice is Thursday and UCF is far enough East. I wouldn’t cancel yet. USF probably cancels bc it will disrupt their practices way more and they don’t have the indoor ready yet

ADVERTISEMENT