ADVERTISEMENT

Question about The Wall

DaShuckster

Diamond Knight
Nov 30, 2003
If our asylum laws are 'outdated' and in need of revision, wouldn't the more prudent and logical move be to revisit those laws in light of the current conditions we're seeing throughout South American?

Isn't THAT the immigration discussion we should be having in Washington right now instead of focusing on funding for a damn border wall?

Even if we spend 25 billion on a wall, a wall doesn't prevent legal asylum requests--unless the idea is to prevent asylum seekers from getting close enough to the border to make a formal request. If that's the case, wouldn't changing the law itself be a lot cheaper and the discussion about it a more honest one?

I do have to give heupsthirdchin credit for continually coming up with solid names. Always worth a chuckle.

didnt trump offer to help redo the laws in exchange for helping to fund the wall? seems like a deal couldve been made and i have a feeling that deal can still be made today.

Ah yes, let's revise the laws to better accommodate people coming here illegally who have no intention of entering via a valid entry point.

I come back after a while and this idiocy is the first thing I read [roll]

Redoing the laws takes away the need to build an expensive wall.
no it really doesnt. the border wall is about making it harder for people to come here illegally. its also about making it harder to get illegal drugs and weapons in here.

if im not mistaken, theres a really big drug problem right now. dont you think a wall would a least make it harder for the cartels to get the drugs in. even if just a little thats a win. same with guns. i thought you didnt like guns, wouldnt that be a good as well?

no it really doesnt. the border wall is about making it harder for people to come here illegally. its also about making it harder to get illegal drugs and weapons in here.

if im not mistaken, theres a really big drug problem right now. dont you think a wall would a least make it harder for the cartels to get the drugs in. even if just a little thats a win. same with guns. i thought you didnt like guns, wouldnt that be a good as well?

According to this guy, illegal aliens and their smugglers are just waiting around for a revision to our Federal asylum code to part ways with their illegal entry activity and become law abiding US visitors.

[roll]

Let me be clear: border security is a national issue. I'm not saying we should ignore it.

However, I am arguing that there are a hell of a lot better ways of addressing the issue than to build a 25 billion dollar wall. When you think about how sophisticated our security technology has gotten in recent years, it's downright silly to believe that a wall is a necessity in order to protect our border. This is the USA, 2019 AD, not China, 219 BC.

Also, as I stated in my OP, there are changes we can make to our immigration laws that could tighten up some of the current entry challenges. In some ways it seems to me that the wall is designed to eliminate making tough asylum calls altogether by keeping asylum seekers away from the border entirely.

Let me be clear: border security is a national issue. I'm not saying we should ignore it.

However, I am arguing that there are a hell of a lot better ways of addressing the issue than to build a 25 billion dollar wall. When you think about how sophisticated our security technology has gotten in recent years, it's downright silly to believe that a wall is a necessity in order to protect our border. This is the USA, 2019 AD, not China, 219 BC.

Also, as I stated in my OP, there are changes we can make to our immigration laws that could tighten up some of the current entry challenges. In some ways it seems to me that the wall is designed to eliminate making tough asylum calls altogether by keeping asylum seekers away from the border entirely.
you are not being honest when you say these things. so we wont be able to have an honest conversation and thats on you.

honest question, have you ever been up close to a 30 foot wall? they are pretty daunting. even in 2019, the wall in hungary and israel are still extremely effective at keeping people out. they likely have the same effect of keeping other illegal items like drugs and weapons out. you keep throwing $25B out there but trump is asking for $5B. its probably somewhere in between. illegal immigration costs this country a ton every year, but the dems dont want to talk about that reality.

build the wall and then talk about reforming the system that no one really likes but is a compromise. trump talked about that early on in his presidency and the dems waved it off. its probably time to look at his offer again, but they wont. the can will get kicked down the road again.

you are not being honest when you say these things.

Okay, since apparently I'm not being "honest," let's talk about honesty.

You keep throwing $25B out there but trump is asking for $5B. its probably somewhere in between.

Do an internet search and then tell me with a straight face that 25 million in construction and 150 million-a-year in maintenance isn't an honest estimate.

Trump's request for 5 billion is all about saving face with the conservative talk show blowhards. If Congress gave the President the 5 billion he's asking for tomorrow, tell me how far would it go towards building that 30 foot concrete wall you've got the hots for?

If we're talking honestly, amending the immigration laws regarding asylum should be the FIRST STEP towards improving border security, not the last. But this whole damn thing really isn't about real border security, it's about fanning the emotions of people like you for political purposes.

still not even willing to admit that walls work. physical security is always the first step, anyone who says otherwise is flat out lying.

shut down might go all year and thats fine by me.

still not even willing to admit that walls work. physical security is always the first step, anyone who says otherwise is flat out lying.

shut down might go all year and thats fine by me.

This is a guy who calls others racist then runs away when asked to answer why. Lying is just a normal function for him.

Reactions: UCFWayne

The problem is most of the other security measures leads to catching them on our side of the border, which adds to the mess we already have processing them. You need to keep them on the other side of border. We spend 18 billion per year on health care for illegal invaders already. 5.7 for this year is a bargain. cut what we are going to give to the countries that just sent the caravans from 10.5 billion to 5 billion and the wall is free.

Bottom line is dems want illegal voters, and belt way republicans want cheap lawn care. The elitist rich insiders get advantages from the inflow, while low to lower middle class citizens are hurt. As long as Pelosi, Obama, Schumer, and most of the rest live in their gated/Walled compounds they care less.

I'm honestly looking for a valid reason why R's want to spend $5 Billion on a wall.

How does this help you in your daily life?

Do you honestly think this money wouldn't be better spent on healthcare, or education or infrastructure for us?

Would love an actual response based on facts and logic.
It's even more of a waste than other government programs that use $500 toilet seats and $700 aircraft bolts (I used to use the aircraft bolts when the vendor was busted)

Guys/Gals, the wall will never go deep enough or high enough for this kind of money. Also, the end points of the wall (water) can just be rendered useless with a diving gear or small boats far out in the water. Small flying objects can get over the wall and tunnels can always go under. At least use some less expensive modern technology.....not concrete. Thoughts?

Guys/Gals, the wall will never go deep enough or high enough for this kind of money. Also, the end points of the wall (water) can just be rendered useless with a diving gear or small boats far out in the water. Small flying objects can get over the wall and tunnels can always go under. At least use some less expensive modern technology.....not concrete. Thoughts?

We're told we need a wall to shut down the drug trade. Really?

I seem to recall that the Mexican drug lord, El Chapo escaped from a maximum security prison (you know, a big one with concrete walls) through an elaborate, one-mile ventilated, well-it underground tunnel. But don't worry guys, a concrete wall is gonna shut down the drug trade. :)

Walls work, Pelosi loves her walled vineyard, Obama loves his walled home, Most politicians like their walled neighborhoods that don't work. On average where we have a wall invasions go down 90%, nothing else is that effective nor cheap.

Walls work, Pelosi loves her walled vineyard, Obama loves his walled home, Most politicians like their walled neighborhoods that don't work. On average where we have a wall invasions go down 90%, nothing else is that effective nor cheap.

I really hope you are taking the UCFBS approach and just trying to come up with the stupidest shit imaginable.

Last edited:
Constructing 2000 miles of a border wall is...step one??!?!?!? Tell me again who is the one refusing to engage in an honest discussion here.
if china could do it a thousand + years ago, i think we can build one too. who is the one not being honest?

if china could do it a thousand + years ago, i think we can build one too. who is the one not being honest?

Using a technology that is literally millenniums old as an example is the most perfect analogy for the inbred nature of the GOP I could ever imagine.

Who would have thought that one of Wayne's braindead analogies actually made sense. I guess a blind squirrel does find a nut every once in awhile.

Could we? Of course. Should we? Of course not. Using your logic, we can build a modern-day pyramid too.

The only 2 reasons dems are against the wall is Trump is for it, and secondly it does work, and they don't want anything that works..

The only 2 reasons dems are against the wall is Trump is for it, and secondly it does work, and they don't want anything that works..

Damn, you figured us out, gk! We want our country to fail!*

It’s your kind of stupid, political rhetoric that prevents our leaders from rolling up their sleeves and rewriting some of our immigration laws and taking prudent steps to improve border security.

Reactions: Big12Knights
9ubol4i4x7821.jpg

25 billion is 1% of our annual budget give or take, and its about 1/8th of a percent of GDP. That isnt a huge investment, particularly for a one time expense. It's the equivalent of an average household in America spening 40 bucks, which would buy a deadbolt. The bill isn't a factor in this discussion if we are being honest.

25 billion is 1% of our annual budget give or take, and its about 1/8th of a percent of GDP. That isnt a huge investment, particularly for a one time expense. It's the equivalent of an average household in America spening 40 bucks, which would buy a deadbolt. The bill isn't a factor in this discussion if we are being honest.

And right now the fight is over roughly $2.5B give or take, in a budget appropriation that is going to top $3.7 Trillion dollars.

It's also already been stated that the "wall" is a synonym for "physical barrier" that will be applied at discretion of CBP. Yet the D's continue lying about this point and insisting that Trump still wants to erect a Great Wall along the entire border.

Well thats your problem, you expect Trump to be honest.

I still haven't heard how this $5 billion will help out any of you people supporting the wall. It just seems like people like 2k8, 85 and wayne are so incredibly mindless that they have to back up whatever insane shit Trump says and defend it to the death.

Well thats your problem, you expect Trump to be honest.

I still haven't heard how this $5 billion will help out any of you people supporting the wall. It just seems like people like 2k8, 85 and wayne are so incredibly mindless that they have to back up whatever insane shit Trump says and defend it to the death.
Well I suppose its on a macro basis. Individually it won't make much difference. Then again, your share of 5 billion is about 15 bucks so will it affect you negatively in a measurable way?

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Well I suppose its on a macro basis. Individually it won't make much difference. Then again, your share of 5 billion is about 15 bucks so will it affect you negatively in a measurable way?

No, it's been my point all along that I don't give a shit. I don't understand why people on the right suddenly care about this. It just reeks of simple minded blind following of Trump, something our resident trump nut huggers are guilty of time and time again.

I do think its a massive waste of $, especially since people can't give me a valid reason why we need to throw away these billions of dollars that could be spent on healthcare, infrastructure, etc.

Wait. Wall is a synonym for physical barrier? Admittedly I have tapped out of all political media but is the argument that an actual wall isn't what has been meant from Day 1?

Wait. Wall is a synonym for physical barrier? Admittedly I have tapped out of all political media but is the argument that an actual wall isn't what has been meant from Day 1?
Trump has meant a literal wall from day 1. A bright shining wall with a big shiny door. Everyone else that is any part of it has meant the barrier that makes the most sense for the area where it’s deployed. Which is not a wall for the most part.

John Kelly just went on record saying that for months now, Trump and his Cabinet have accepted the fact that a "wall" really means a wall in parts, fencing in others, and expanded determent capabilities. Yes saying "wall" has political implications publicly but anyone with a clue in Congress KNOWS we are not funding a "great wall".

Which makes the D obstruction here even worse. They know this money isn't funding only a concrete wall and they know it's largely for determent capabilities that CBP is begging for. They might know more about this, but Schumer and Pelosi interrupted and talked down our Homeland Security Secretary this week behind closed doors, as they were totally uninterested to hear about what DHS/CBP needs this funding.

ADVERTISEMENT