ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Shannon's Future

dr_ligma

Four-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2019
Anyone know what the deal is with Randy?
Is there a contract extension?

Not sure if I'm reading too much into things but his feat in this makes it seem like he'll be around

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
UCF fans wanting Randy fired but seeing him close Hundley

giphy.gif

I never thought he should be fired. I just figured some P5 program would pay him what we can't afford, since he will be available for offers.

UGH?? He is not the problem. We need to concentrate on clock management when we have the lead .
We held time of possession lead in the first half vs Cincy. To open the half they went on a 9 minute drive against Randy’s defense. UCF then scored a touchdown to take the lead. Cincy proceeded on long drive after long drive after that including the final one that took the last 5 minutes and 3 timeouts. What sort of clock management solves that?

The DL was NOT getting enough pressure on opposing offense and it seemed like Randy was getting burned a lot on blitzes. He gets a Covid bye for DL performance. The LBing was off due to Nate Evans leaving. The DBs were freshmen due to multiple reasons: Covid, injuries, etc. He gets a bye.

What's consistent in all of this is his recruiting is stellar and he's great with the players. I'd say it was an off year for both Heup and Randy if you're throwing rocks but "drop 'em" if you're smart.

Reactions: KnightLife1
UGH?? He is not the problem. We need to concentrate on clock management when we have the lead .
I really liked what we busted out mid-season to slow things down. Instead of lining up and waiting for 25 seconds, then snapping it, we’d huddle until like 8 seconds left on the play clock, quickly line up and go.

Burned clock and still didn’t let the defense know what was coming.

Can’t remember which game that was, but we never did it again for some reason.

I really liked what we busted out mid-season to slow things down. Instead of lining up and waiting for 25 seconds, then snapping it, we’d huddle until like 8 seconds left on the play clock, quickly line up and go.

Vs the cows we did it in the last TD drive. Vs Houston last 2 drives for TDs were 9 plays 4 minutes and 6 plays in 2:40 so slower. Vs Tulane game ending drive was 8:29.

Reactions: Knight Strength

Agree. Tempo is a tactic, not an entire offensive approach. This was one of the things that told me Heup is developing. He's trying things he didn't do before. That's a good sign even if it doesn't always work out.

Reactions: UCFVanWilder
I have a feeling Zack Wilson is absolutely going to terrorize this defense especially if we trot out Corey Thornton who is a fcs caliber payer over D.Wilson again. Itll be like how white abused him against Memphis. Game has passed randy bye especially with his stupid “give em a cushion“ pass defense which opens up the middle of the field routinely.
If randy is not retained go get Reeves from uab or Partridge from Pitt

I have a feeling Zack Wilson is absolutely going to terrorize this defense especially if we trot out Corey Thornton who is a fcs caliber payer over D.Wilson again. Itll be like how white abused him against Memphis. Game has passed randy bye especially with his stupid “give em a cushion“ pass defense which opens up the middle of the field routinely.
This is KOC’s way of bashing players by name.

D Wilson waiver wasn’t approved for Memphis. Thornton split time with Maxwell at corner in the game and Lester played the entire game at corner. Per PFF Thornton was the second best defender that played against Memphis trailing only Richie Grant while Lester was the worst.

D Wilson waiver wasn’t approved for Memphis. Thornton split time with Maxwell at corner in the game and Lester played the entire game at corner. Per PFF Thornton was the second best defender that played against Memphis trailing only Richie Grant while Lester was the worst.
Well pff is a broken system especially on defensive metrics, but that’s a discussion for another time. An yes I know that Wilson wasn’t approved until after. But then explain why he played against usf over Wilson? Cause he got abused by usf too. Him and the western kid who should be a safety but is a cb. Randy has a hard on for playing his boys over best talent. He’s doing with Thornton this year

Well pff is a broken system especially on defensive metrics, but that’s a discussion for another time. An yes I know that Wilson wasn’t approved until after. But then explain why he played against usf over Wilson? Cause he got abused by usf too. Him and the western kid who should be a safety but is a cb. Randy has a hard on for playing his boys over best talent. He’s doing with Thornton this year
Thornton didn’t play “over” Wilson. Wilson played 59 snaps vs the cows. He played over Maxwell and Brown who went out early. Alongside Thornton. Also Robinson was out second half so they were moving guys around that were healthy and able to play. Including Wilson.

Thornton didn’t play “over” Wilson. Wilson played 59 snaps vs the cows. He played over Maxwell and Brown who went out early. Alongside Thornton. Also Robinson was out second half so they were moving guys around that were healthy and able to play. Including Wilson.
And Wilson has made more plays this year in limited time than Thornton, who sucked at Booker T. We, IMG, just attacked his side of the field and he couldn’t do shi to stop it. Which is what everyone has been doing all year. that’s the film on him and has been his entire career in hs and college. You force Him to make plays and he can’t. BYU will do this and it’s not going to be pretty.

Which gets back to my main point: Shannon is obsessed with playing “his guys.” It cost him at Miami, cost him at uf, and now UCF fans are seeing why Shannon was available. Sure he goes with a rotation, but it’s mostly guys he personally likes. We literally saw that this year. Notice the defense got more aggressive after his boys were kicked off the team and he was forced to adapt. He can’t do this on his own and it’s been the knock on him for decades. Which is why UCF needs to move on. You can throw a rock and hit a coach that can recruit Florida. Shannon is unnecessary at this point. Especially since he continues to fall into his same trappings year after year after year.

Reactions: Yaes
And Wilson has made more plays this year in limited time than Thornton, who sucked at Booker T. We, IMG, just attacked his side of the field and he couldn’t do shi to stop it. Which is what everyone has been doing all year. that’s the film on him and has been his entire career in hs and college. You force Him to make plays and he can’t. BYU will do this and it’s not going to be pretty.

Which gets back to my main point: Shannon is obsessed with playing “his guys.” It cost him at Miami, cost him at uf, and now UCF fans are seeing why Shannon was available. Sure he goes with a rotation, but it’s mostly guys he personally likes. We literally saw that this year. Notice the defense got more aggressive after his boys were kicked off the team and he was forced to adapt. He can’t do this on his own and it’s been the knock on him for decades. Which is why UCF needs to move on. You can throw a rock and hit a coach that can recruit Florida. Shannon is unnecessary at this point. Especially since he continues to fall into his same trappings year after year after year.
I was told the same thing by UM fans. You are definitely a UM fan.

We all were okay with Randy before this year. We lost a ton of defense to opt outs and other issues. When you play as quickly as we do on offense you need defensive depth. Lets see what he does next year
No we weren't.

Reactions: shacket

This analysis is accurate and supported by Burgess-Becker (Miami-based player) starting over Nate Evans during the first few games of Shannon's first year.

Reactions: TinCanz and shacket
Accurate analysis. Justin Hodges from Western should not be a CB. He is definitely more of a safety. He has limited coverage skills, but is a quick closing tackler who is a big hitter.

We held time of possession lead in the first half vs Cincy. To open the half they went on a 9 minute drive against Randy’s defense. UCF then scored a touchdown to take the lead. Cincy proceeded on long drive after long drive after that including the final one that took the last 5 minutes and 3 timeouts. What sort of clock management solves that?
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Went to UCF for undergrad. UF for masters. Worked for uf. Tried to get job at UCF. So lol not attached to um at all. I just have watched Shannon up close for 5+ years
Tin, My Brother went to UF. Why do you think Shannon has been JOB JUMPING for so many years. Also, has he commented on the defensive recruiting class?

Tin, My Brother went to UF. Why do you think Shannon has been JOB JUMPING for so many years. Also, has he commented on the defensive recruiting class?
The thing is we have seen the same pattern everywhere he’s been: 1 “rebuild year”, 1 great year, 1 year where he falls on his face. He hasn’t changed his schemes, hasn’t adjusted to modern defensive philosophies. Plus we are so friggan small on the defensive line and linebacker positions. Another Shannon staple.

That’s why I want a defensive line coach, like partridge at Pitt, to be the next dc.

This guy lost half the starters and still got fired. We lost 6 guys in total and the defense wasn’t great to begin with.
More than 6 guys were lost. Starting CBs were projected to me Gowan and Dawson. Davis would have started on D line. Charlton, Mitchell, Collier, and Turnier all were let go after that police incident. This doesn’t even take into account depth guys that opted out or injuries like BAM.

One year with like 17 starters graduating the year before. Seems odd. Maybe they just don’t have a great working relationship. LSU’s defense was ranked #124 as well, which doesn’t help. They had some weird games as well. They got beat by Miss State where KJ Costello threw for over 600 yards, but then that same QB threw for like 6 yards the rest of the season (sarcasm but in the rest of his starts he threw for a little over 600 yards with 1 TD against 9 picks). LSU plays them any other week they win.

When you pay a guy top 20 money, you expect the performance to be upper tier. He hasn't displayed upper tier defense in the previous years either.

Reactions: shacket and Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT