ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Shannon's Future

Also let’s discuss him being a “great Florida recruiter.” He let Cincinnati come in and take a defensive lineman from his own back yard. He has 0 presence in central and northern Florida.He’s ranked 21st in 247’s aac recruiter rankings this year. His boy Corey Bell is utter useless on the trail and developing players. Go get Charlie Partridge or David Reeves and bring in one of these young GAs or “defensive analysts” from a P5 school and I promise you defense improves.

One year with like 17 starters graduating the year before. Seems odd. Maybe they just don’t have a great working relationship. LSU’s defense was ranked #124 as well, which doesn’t help. They had some weird games as well. They got beat by Miss State where KJ Costello threw for over 600 yards, but then that same QB threw for like 6 yards the rest of the season (sarcasm but in the rest of his starts he threw for a little over 600 yards with 1 TD against 9 picks). LSU plays them any other week they win.
Not sure if was him but during one game Orgeron was yelling at one of his coaches on sideline like crazy. Embarrassing to the guy it happens to. You don’t yell at assistants in front of players like that.

Reactions: Knight Strength
The thing is we have seen the same pattern everywhere he’s been: 1 “rebuild year”, 1 great year, 1 year where he falls on his face. He hasn’t changed his schemes, hasn’t adjusted to modern defensive philosophies. Plus we are so friggan small on the defensive line and linebacker positions. Another Shannon staple.

That’s why I want a defensive line coach, like partridge at Pitt, to be the next dc.
Defensive line is very weak. nothing personal. Just sayin.

Reactions: shacket
Also let’s discuss him being a “great Florida recruiter.” He let Cincinnati come in and take a defensive lineman from his own back yard. He has 0 presence in central and northern Florida.He’s ranked 21st in 247’s aac recruiter rankings this year. His boy Corey Bell is utter useless on the trail and developing players. Go get Charlie Partridge or David Reeves and bring in one of these young GAs or “defensive analysts” from a P5 school and I promise you defense improves.
I have not heard a quote or a peep out of Shannon about signing day. Did I miss anything?

Reactions: Yaes
Million Dollar Man is back, he signed an extension previously through 2022.

Thought this was good info out of the article:
"It's also important to keep in mind that the Knights were without a number of key contributors on defense throughout the season. Before UCF even took the field, starting cornerback Tay Gowan and key defensive tackle Kalia Davis opted out of the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

During the season, four more defensive starters, linebacker Eric Mitchell and defensive back Antwan Collier and linemen Kenny Turnier and Randy Charlton, were removed from the team following a traffic incident with police on campus.

Finally, starting defensive backs Richie Grant and Aaron Robinson did not play in the Boca Raton Bowl game against the BYU Cougars as they began preparing for the 2021 NFL Draft. Additionally, defensive lineman Stephon Zayas missed the final two games of the season due to injury."

So by the last game we were down 8 starters, nevermind any backups. I noted during the USF game that Robinson and Grant had reduced snaps, in fact Robinson is easy to identify and I rarely saw him out on the field...probably getting our youth more snaps/experience. They need all the snaps they can get.

I'm not arguing for or against, and I guess that doesn't matter if he is already under contract. Like any employee you have to perform or potentially be let go.

Last edited:
Thought this was good info out of the article:
"It's also important to keep in mind that the Knights were without a number of key contributors on defense throughout the season. Before UCF even took the field, starting cornerback Tay Gowan and key defensive tackle Kalia Davis opted out of the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

During the season, four more defensive starters, linebacker Eric Mitchell and defensive back Antwan Collier and linemen Kenny Turnier and Randy Charlton, were removed from the team following a traffic incident with police on campus.

Finally, starting defensive backs Richie Grant and Aaron Robinson did not play in the Boca Raton Bowl game against the BYU Cougars as they began preparing for the 2021 NFL Draft. Additionally, defensive lineman Stephon Zayas missed the final two games of the season due to injury."

So by the last game we were down 8 starters, nevermind any backups. I noted during the USF game that Robinson and Grant had reduced snaps, in fact Robinson is easy to identify and I rarely saw him out on the field...probably getting our youth more snaps/experience. They need all the snaps they can get.

I'm not arguing for or against, and I guess that doesn't matter if he is already under contract. Like any employee you have to perform or potentially be let go.

I think the issue is that the defense was already pretty much crap before the “2nd wave” of exits from the team (the gun incident)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT