ADVERTISEMENT

Reaping what you sow with the portal

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022

Yeah, it's a "culture" thing alright.

Georgia had three transfers, only one starter, in its two deep.

FSU's season, meanwhile, was built on the backs of transfers. Five starters on offense; seven starters on defense, 14 transfers in the two deep. They bailed when it was convenient. Nine (75%) of the non-season-ending-injured 12 opt outs were transfers.
Maybe it was a "coincidence." Transfer opt-outs are in bold.
Tatum Bethune, LB, R-Sr.
Braden Fiske, DL, R-Sr
Joshua Farmer, DL, R-So
Trey Benson, RB, Jr.
Jared Verse
, DE, Jr.
Johnny Wilson, WR, Jr.
Keon Coleman, WR, Jr.
Jaheim Bell, TE, Jr.
Fabian Lovett, DL, R-Sr
Akeem Dent, DB, Sr.
Renardo Green, DB, Sr.
Jarrian Jones, DB, Sr.

Fabian Lovett and Fentrell Cypress II were the other two starting transfers on defense.

Gus's philosophy, like most college football coaches, is to build the team through high school recruiting and fill in gaps where necessary with the portal.

Bottom Line: When your best players are transfers (recruited and developed elsewhere), you are poor recruiter and a poor developer of talent (unless you take over a program from Josh Heupel*).

Last edited:
Problem is no matter what you do right now, you never know when these guys are going to bail on you, no matter recruited or via the portal. There aren’t any rules in place to maintain rosters consistently. Yesterday two 5-Star class of 2023 guys, who redshirted, transferred…so much for building through recruiting. Programs spent all that time and effort recruiting and coaching them up for probably the better part of 2 years, then they just bolt.

I do think you have to try and build through recruiting because at some point some rules will be in place and things should get a little better for maintaining and developing rosters. Right now you’re just throwing darts at a board.

FSU used the portal because their roster had to be rebuilt from scratch. The first wave is leaving, and they’ve now had 4 years of recruiting to have a base of HS recruits and then fill in gaps with high-level transfers. They have the street cred to do so.

Reactions: Robert0122
Up until now, the NYD games were the highest game we could attain. We went undefeated 2 years in a row with largely the same team and were snubbed. When your players know that is the best place the school can get to, your expectation is that you're going to go into that game and give it everything you have. However, when you hire mercenaries to play for the team who only see the school and team as a paycheck or a stepping stone to the NFL, you lose a lot of what it means to be a college football player. I don't disagree that players should be paid to play, however I disagree with them transferring teams at the current frequency. With everyone transferring every year or so I don't want to buy a jersey because I don't know if they will even be playing the next year. Though I will still wear my 24K, Culpepper, and KZ jerseys because they are the players who have kept me going over the last 25 years.

Reactions: Central Floridave
I don't want to buy a jersey because I don't know if they will even be playing the next year. Though I will still wear my 24K, Culpepper, and KZ jerseys because they are the players who have kept me going over the last 25 years.
I don't know man....I already have official Mr Socko footwear from 2 schools and want to get some Oregon socks to keep building the collection.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT