ADVERTISEMENT

***Recap: UCF Knight Talk with Johnny Dawkins, Darin Hinshaw & Addison Williams 🏀🏈

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
On this MLK Day edition of UCF Knight Talk, UCF basketball coach Johnny Dawkins joined Marc Daniels for the beginning of the show and he was later joined by the football coordinators, OC Darin Hinshaw and DC Addison Williams.

Highlights from Johnny Dawkins:

UCF is coming off a tough loss at Tulane and now has this week off before hitting the road next Saturday at usf.

UCF obviously is dealing with injuries - C.J. Walker is out for the year, Michael Durr with the hand issue and PG Darius Johnson out. Johnny says they must have a "next man up" mentality to overcome these issues.

As for Darius Johnson, he's still "day to day" and "getting better." Johnny said he "shouldn't be out much longer" and "it's getting close."

Durr is expected back at some point in February. He had surgery on his hand last week.

Marc asked about Lahat but I think Dawkins responded by talking about Thierno Sylla. He's set for more playing time as a result of the injury to Durr. He was heavily recruited out of Canada. He's a big part of the future.

Marc said the Memphis game was one of the greatest wins at UCF Arena. Johnny said the guys "refused to lose."

In a double-overtime game with multiple players fouled out, Dawkins said they have strength in their numbers. He said there's not a lot of separation within the roster. Guys like P.J. Edwards may not play as much just due to rotation, but he's capable of playing at a high level if asked. Same applies to Tyem Freeman.

Marc brings up the missing point controversy. Dawkins said he knew right away and appreciated Marc fighting on behalf on the team.

In regards to the Tulane game, Dawkins didn't think fatigue would be an issue at the beginning of the game. They did all their prep on Friday morning after giving them a light day on Thursday. They just couldn't knock down shots early. They had good looks. They didn't defend well as well as they needed to.

The game plan was to play inside out and they settled for too many outside shots. It's hard to turn down good looks as a shooter. That's what Tulane does defensively.

At one point, UCF was down 19 and narrowed it to 3 points with two minutes left. Tyem Freeman was a big factor in the comeback.

This is interesting: Tyem Freeman would have been in the starting lineup at the beginning of the season, but was in concussion protocol for a full month. So it's been a process of him coming back, getting healthy and now getting in the rotation.

Tyem and P.J. Edwards have been great bench and locker room guys all season even when they haven't been playing.

On the final minutes of the Tulane game, UCF had multiple opportunities to tie or potentially take the lead. They had three straight possessions with poor execution. Jayhlon Young was probably trying to do too much, made some bad decisions.

With no game until Saturday at usf, they want to use this week to recover. Today's practice was intense and so will tomorrow. Wednesday is an off day. Then two more prep days on Thursday and Friday.

usf beat them pretty bad last year. Concentration, composure and confidence is the key. usf is a physical, big team.

That's it for Johnny.

===

Highlights from OC Darin Hinshaw:

Marc says, "Doesn't he look better in Black and Gold?" Hinsaw said it's awesome to be back.

Does he remember his first touchdown pass? It was 1991. He does remember his first-ever pass. It was to Mike Dickinson and he dropped it. A perfect throw too. As a young quarterback, Hinshaw talks about there's a time when things click and you can see things unfolding, understanding defenses and where to go with the ball. Mike Kruczek used to talk about that. That's when you've got it. He remembers the first game when it "clicked" for him was against Savannah State. They lost, but had a big comeback. He threw four touchdowns and 280 yards.

Marc asked about coming back last year as an analyst. Hinshaw said he was still being paid by Kentucky, so he didn't mind coming back in a non-coach role. He didn't initially know it was on defense. It was a great year though, learning more about that side. He believes that's what ultimately led him to becoming the OC.

Hinshaw is "extremely excited" about the offensive personnel. He's already met with every player.

"We are loaded at running back. We have a lot of good running backs."

On the quarterbacks, before he even had the press conference, he spoke to all the QBs. "I like our quarterback room and where we're at. I know the skill set. Coach Malzahn has done a great job there."

On the OL: "We've got depth on the offensive line. We've recruited well. Herb Hand is a great o-line coach. He's a big reason I'm here is because of Herb Hand and our relationship."

On the WRs: "The receiver position, there was some frustration when I met with those guys about being able to throw the ball down the field. I explained to them what we're going to be doing offensively. They're excited. We've got depth there too."

Hinshaw added they've got "one spot left" to find a "fast wideout in the portal."

On the TEs: "We've got two tight ends that are seniors. Alec Holler is awesome. We'll use tight ends in this offense."

"I'm excited about our personnel and where we're at. We've got to finish these two weeks in recruiting. I can't wait to get with the offense and get going."

On the adjustment going into the Big 12, Hinshaw said you've got to be able to run the ball. The vertical passing game is going to be huge. That's what they do in the Big 12. He's talked to Gus about it. They are going to do that. There's ways to train the quarterbacks on that - he's done it everywhere he's been.

Your offense takes on a form of its own as you learn your players.

"We're going to throw the football down the field." Not necessarily every down. They'll be balanced with a vertical passing game.

Hinshaw said he's been trying to get back to UCF for a long time. "To be able to coach at your alma mater, being back home, my mom and dad live here, my brother... It's incredible I'm back here. It's really awesome.

"The bottom line is I've got a job to do. We're just beginning. We've got to build this the right way. I've started to install the offense. We've got to finish recruiting the right way. Then be in a situation to get the installs in. We'll start going through it before we get to spring football. Being back home, I still can't believe it."

Kirk Speraw sent Marc a text message when Hinshaw got the job. Hinshaw played on the basketball team - he did play a couple minutes in the NCAA Tournament game against Purdue and Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson.

===

Highlights from DC Addison Williams:

Marc begins by showing a picture of Addison Williams as a freshman at South Carolina. He had one career interception that came against Arkansas. He was primarily recruited by Tyrone Nix and Ron Cooper. Steve Spurrier didn't get involved until late. Then he coached with Spurrier. "What you saw on TV is how he really was."

Working with Gus at Auburn on the offensive side, he learned so much about the rationale for how they operate.

His defense will be more multiple front and coverage wise. They have to be able to change looks and not just remain in one look for the entire game.

What's the biggest adjustment going into the Big 12? Addison says it's getting more speed on the field. Not just line up in base defense but having good sub packages.

As a DC, Addison says one of the bigger changes is now spending more time with that entire side, not just the secondary.

Addison thanked former South Carolina assistant coach Lorenzo Ward, who got him into coaching. Also former Tusculum coach Frank DeBuski, who gave him his first opportunity

Addison said relationships with players is more important than ever. You must have a relationship, especially if you're going to be hard on them. If they know you love them, you can them coach them hard. If the relationship is not there, that's when some guys hit the transfer portal.

Asked about the returning player leadership, Addison named Josh Celiscar, Jason Johnson, Ricky Barber and Tre'Mon Morris-Brash, those are the four guys he's going to lean on.

He spoke to Jason Johnson today about becoming more vocal. Johnson got here a bit later, last summer, so he might have been reluctant to be a big talker. It's not necessarily about giving a rah-rah speech, but if a guy does something right or wrong, speak up.

He has not made a final decision about whether he'll coach from the field or the box, but right now he's leaning towards staying in the box. He thinks that's been a strength for him, coaching from up top.

Away from football, what does Addison like to do? Spending time with the kids. He has a 3-year old son and 10-month old daughter.

Asked about the first people he called when he got the DC job, Addison said Lorenzo Ward (now the DC at Chattanooga) and Steve Wilks (interim HC for Carolina Panthers). Addison said he considered both as mentors.

On the UCF defense in 2023, Addison said they'll be sound, good tacklers and disciplined.

"I'm super excited. We've got a good group of guys we've added to the mix. I'm excited about the team we're going to put on the field for Knight Nation."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News