ADVERTISEMENT

Record Migration from Puerto Rico to Central Florida

Poolside Knight

Todd's Tiki Bar
Apr 2, 2007
The post-Maria migration may bring an additional 114,000 to 213,000 each year for the next two years, according to the Center for Puerto Rican Studies in New York City, changing the demographic makeup and politics of the region for decades.

I was for PR Statehood before the Hurricane, if it was done years ago this wouldn't be happening at this rate.

Honestly we need legislation that does provides people incentive to go back. There is no way in hell PR can ever recover with most if their young populace gone. They’ll be in debt and financial ruin for the next 20 years.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
I was for PR Statehood before the Hurricane, if it was done years ago this wouldn't be happening at this rate.

That wouldn't have stopped the destruction from the hurricane nor stopped all of them seeking a new home in South Orlando/Kissimmee.

That wouldn't have stopped the destruction from the hurricane nor stopped all of them seeking a new home in South Orlando/Kissimmee.
could be wrong but think the disaster relief funds they are eligible for would be better with State status instead of Commonwealth. And other minor infrastructure improvements and laws to cope with Hurricanes

This is worse than the first 5 years of the Southeast Asian Refugee Crisis (1975-1980, which lasted through 2000). But they are American citizens and very much entitled under the law.

We'll see how quickly Trump and congress get the island fixed when Florida becomes blue in the next election. Cubans are R but PRs are D (and the worst type of D)

Honestly we need legislation that does provides people incentive to go back. There is no way in hell PR can ever recover with most if their young populace gone. They’ll be in debt and financial ruin for the next 20 years.

That ship has sailed. The island will never be the same.

Reactions: UCFBS
Doesn't sound much different than the last 20 years.

Reactions: UCFBS
Doesn't sound much different than the last 20 years.
Indeed. That said ...

PR citizens are already our fellow, American citizens, and if that means they find better opportunities and contribute more to our economy, by relocating outside of PR, so be it. Maybe the hurricane, as tragic as it was, is finally the catalyst to help our fellow Americans re-evaluate their residents (this was debated after New Orleans as well, and I think we failed in that regard, but that's another, often non-PC story too). So that's a bonus in my book, especially over undocumented residents who are outside of withholdings and other aspects of the greater commonwealth of our nation.

As far as "incentives," I also have to agree. This idea of "incentives" that just "solve" things gets old. The only "incentives" that "work" in my book are ones for businesses that actually hire full-time workers with benefits. Everything else is just political BS.

going to need Elon Musk and others that are willing to lose money for the publicity of helping rebuild the infrastructure

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT