ADVERTISEMENT

***Recruiting & Transfer Portal Frenzy - Monday Update***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com
This post will serve as to recap some of the weekend transpirings, notably a couple Sunday night developments.

-Auburn QB Bo Nix announced on Instagram that he's entering the Transfer Portal. The rumors have always been there, but really started swirling Saturday on Auburn message boards as word of a Friday meeting between Nix, his father Patrick Nix and AU head coach Bryan Harsin began to circulate. While Nix had apparently given an indication previously he would come back next season, apparently he informed Harsin in that meeting that he's out.

Those rumors were verified on Sunday night with a video posted to Nix's Instagram.

"This decision has been the toughest I have ever made. I have made so many decisions for Auburn, and now it’s time to do what’s best for me. It’s time that I move on to the next chapter in my life. To reach further goals, I’ve decided it’s best to be a grad transfer and find a new start somewhere else. I make this decision with a heavy heart and a lot of growing pain. A wise man once told me that in order to be great, we have to take risks. I don’t know what the next chapter of my life looks like. But I do know whatever it is, God has ordered my steps, and He has a plan for me, like He does for everyone else."

Nix was obviously recruited to Auburn by Gus Malzahn and has been the Tigers' starting quarterback since earning the job as a true freshman in 2019, beating out Joey Gatewood for the job.

UCF has been looking for a transfer portal QB and Nix makes a lot of sense. The Knights will definitely be in the mix. There are reports Cincinnati and Oregon, which appears to be hiring FSU OC Kenny Dillingham, could be in it as well.

If he does commit, that's a huge lynchpin that could be a boon to landing other high-profile transfers.

In more late-breaking Auburn news, star RB Tank Bigsby is also reported to be entering the Transfer Portal. He was Auburn's leading rusher the past two seasons. He's a stud that could will his choice of schools. I've already seen that Georgia will be interested. But he was recruited by Gus.

UCF appears to be on the verge of making another 2022 high school addition in Tampa Berkely Prep RB/ATH Xavier Townsend. He's always been a target and visiting last June, but he initially opted to commit to Iowa State. On Sunday night, he announced he would be decommitting from the Cyclones. UCF never stopped recruiting him . Townsend, a teammate/friend of UCF LB commit T.J. Bullard, attended the November home game vs. UConn. And Gus Malzahn made an in-home visit with him last week.

All signs are pointing to a flip to UCF, which likes him as a RB, slot type player. Big-time playmaker.

Visit Updates...

UCF hosted seven players over the weekend. Here's the original post with the list:

Three of the seven were the Seminole Trio of Kam Moore and the Henderson Twins.

The other four were transfers:

QB Michael Penix Jr. (Indiana) - Got feedback from the family that the visit went well, but they didn't want to elaborate or give any further detail (such as doing an interview) at this time. I understood. Penix is a fantastic QB when healthy, but has had lots of injury issues during his time at IU including two ACLs in the same knee and a separated shoulder this past season.

If Bo Nix is indeed a strong possibility, I think that's where UCF's focus will go.

OL Paul Tchio (Clemson) - I wasn't able to get a response from him. He visited Georgia Tech last weekend. Played guard at Clemson, but could potentially play tackle at UCF (I think).

DB Ladarius Tennison (Auburn) - I did text with him last week to confirm his visit, but I didn't get a response on Sunday when I asked about the visit. He's apparently down to UCF, Ole Miss and Missouri. I would think there's a great shot he stays home as he's originally from Rockledge. UCF likes him as a safety.

LB K.D. McDaniel (Kentucky) - I did text with him briefly. Said he had a great visit and was willing to do an interview, but he said he was busy with something Sunday night so maybe we can talk Monday. Hopefully I can get ahold of him. I think there's a strong likelihood he commits. Photo he posted below:

screenshot_20211212-175937-png.983

Transfers who visited last weekend:

OL Tylan Grable (Jacksonville State) - I am expecting him to commit, just not sure on the timing.

OL Cade Briggs (New Mexico) - He told me UCF was his leader early last week, and then took a weekend visit to ECU. Will try to gain further intel today.

A few reminders... We are now in a NCAA Dead Period, which applies to all recruits (high school, JUCO and transfers). That means no in-person contact between players/coaches and no supervised visits to campus (i.e. official/unofficial visits). That remains in place until January 14.

Players/coaches can still communicate electronically and players can visit campuses, if they want, on their own dime but must not have contact with athletics staff. It would basically be a drive through campus, a walk around the exterior of facilities, etc. That's what a lot of players did during the COVID dead period.

Wednesday is early signing day for high school/JUCO prospects, but that really has no bearing on transfers. Transfers are non-binding until they enroll and show up for the first day of classes, which for UCF is January 10.

So transfers may not be in a rush to decide or announce commitments, and maybe the schools don't particularly mind it either. I know UCF is going to have a lot of transfer action, but it may not happen right away.

McKenzie Milton was at the team's bowl practice today and spoke to the team afterward. I know there's been a lot of buzz about a possible staff position for him - I really can't confirm any of that right now. But I do know he's moving back to Orlando. He's obviously playing in the Hula Bowl at UCF in January as well.

screenshot_20211212-185346-png.985

As for Dillon Gabriel, he visited UCLA over the weekend. He was obviously at Ole Miss last weekend, then Jeff Lebby went to Oklahoma. Ole Miss did bring in Incarnate Word QB Cameron Ward over the weekend, perhaps as an insurance policy in the event they don't get DG. I've also heard TCU feels they have a shot at DG, and now you wonder if Auburn is now in the mix with Bo Nix leaving.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.