ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Yeah I don’t know what it tells us either since he was recruiting at Oklahoma and primarily recruited QBs and the QBs he recruited would all be the highest rated QB in UCF history.

Does anyone know why Heupel is recruiting pro style quarterbacks? I thought the reason given by Danny White for hiring Heupel was to continue the offense UCF has been so successful with. Wasn't that offense built around a dual threat quarterback?

Does anyone know why Heupel is recruiting pro style quarterbacks? I thought the reason given by Danny White for hiring Heupel was to continue the offense UCF has been so successful with. Wasn't that offense built around a dual threat quarterback?
DT means mostly a runner. Pro guys are considered good passers. Doesn’t mean they can’t run.

Looking for two things at this point:
1) Recruit some kickers (punters and place kicker);
2) Offensive athletes (WRs + QB).

Heupel does not run the exact same offense as SF. Not sure why people keep saying that. Are they both different than GOL’s style? Sure

Heupel would want more power running than SF and he would want a qb to be in the pocket a little more

Heupel does not run the exact same offense as SF. Not sure why people keep saying that. Are they both different than GOL’s style? Sure

Heupel would want more power running than SF and he would want a qb to be in the pocket a little more
Thanks. Does Heupel's offense have a name?

Wakeup Time for Players (not every coach is your big brother)

From the article =>

Practices are no less intense.

“It’s crazy how much he sees the entire field,” Adams said. “You think he’s not looking at you and you take a play off, he’s right behind you screaming, ‘That’s not good enough! That’s not what a championship team does!’”

“He’s always yelling,” tight end Jason Reese said. “No matter what the score of the game is there’s no smiling allowed on the sideline.”

That point was made clear last week. The Tigers were pummeling Delaware State, led 30-0 after the first quarter, but when Heupel caught some players laughing on the sideline, they felt his wrath. The drive was sparked in South Dakota, fueled in Oklahoma and now rages stronger than ever.

“I was one of them,” Reese said. “He just didn’t want us to let up. We want to be the best offense in the nation. That’s our goal and Coach Heupel is dead set on that.”

Wakeup Time for Players (not every coach is your big brother)

From the article =>

Practices are no less intense.

“It’s crazy how much he sees the entire field,” Adams said. “You think he’s not looking at you and you take a play off, he’s right behind you screaming, ‘That’s not good enough! That’s not what a championship team does!’”

“He’s always yelling,” tight end Jason Reese said. “No matter what the score of the game is there’s no smiling allowed on the sideline.”

That point was made clear last week. The Tigers were pummeling Delaware State, led 30-0 after the first quarter, but when Heupel caught some players laughing on the sideline, they felt his wrath. The drive was sparked in South Dakota, fueled in Oklahoma and now rages stronger than ever.

“I was one of them,” Reese said. “He just didn’t want us to let up. We want to be the best offense in the nation. That’s our goal and Coach Heupel is dead set on that.”
Sounds good to me

Sounds like a cross between GOL and Frost, but closer to Frost. Additionally, he sounds like a guy who’s going to run up the score a little bit and not make friends. I’m good with that too.

We aren’t going to find a Frost clone and JH isn’t going to be liked by every player. That’s life.

Sounds like a cross between GOL and Frost, but closer to Frost. Additionally, he sounds like a guy who’s going to run up the score a little bit and not make friends. I’m good with that too.

We aren’t going to find a Frost clone and JH isn’t going to be liked by every player. That’s life.
the assistant relationships with players might be more important than the Head Coach

We learned through the HC interview process that the current UCF players loved Walters and Beckton, maybe more than Frost. And after seeing the tape of Knight Flicks I can see why with Walters

Reactions: Mikesi
the assistant relationships with players might be more important than the Head Coach

We learned through the HC interview process that the current UCF players loved Walters and Beckton, maybe more than Frost. And after seeing the tape of Knight Flicks I can see why with Walters
If that’s the case, then Ellarbee was a good hire. He doesn’t appear to be as upbeat and energetic as Walters, but it seems like the players really respected him. Maybe there will be a similar type of assistant on the defensive side of the ball.

The assistants definitely seem to have a closer relationship with the players than the head coach just because of the head coaches’ massive responsibilities , but it’s going to be difficult to replace what I saw from Frost in the post-Navy and post-Peach Bowl videos.

It will be better

I am really jazzed about the potential to be better! A little more press to get excited about (Sporting News)......18 early questions for 2018 college football season

12. Will UCF win another "national title?"
Frost is gone, but UCF could create some real playoff discussion under first-year coach Josh Heupel. The Knights bring a lot of talent back, including dark-horse Heisman candidate McKenzie Milton. UCF plays North Carolina and Pitt in nonconference play, not to mention what will be a highly publicized in-state battle with Lane Kiffin and Florida Atlantic on Sept. 22.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa...es-trevor-lawrence/1dk27twj90vyw10pzcifj1toe9

I am really jazzed about the potential to be better! A little more press to get excited about (Sporting News)......18 early questions for 2018 college football season

12. Will UCF win another "national title?"
Frost is gone, but UCF could create some real playoff discussion under first-year coach Josh Heupel. The Knights bring a lot of talent back, including dark-horse Heisman candidate McKenzie Milton. UCF plays North Carolina and Pitt in nonconference play, not to mention what will be a highly publicized in-state battle with Lane Kiffin and Florida Atlantic on Sept. 22.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa...es-trevor-lawrence/1dk27twj90vyw10pzcifj1toe9
Thanks. I’m hearing a lot about FAU and Lane Kiffin. Honestly, we have to be considerably better than them and they should not be coming into our house and upsetting us. Lane Kiffin is a good coach, but neither he nor FAU is THAT good.

Yes we can slip up to a Pitt at home, UNC on the road or even Memphis away, but games like FAU, USF away without Flowers and Navy at home are games we should be winning.

Reactions: JAFFX2
They have 5 guys competing for the job. I’m sure that they will have someone very capable
Brady White did start games and was highly rated, but he’s been injured a lot. Last year’s backup was also good in limited action.

They have 5 guys competing for the job. I’m sure that they will have someone very capable
Brady White did start games and was highly rated, but he’s been injured a lot. Last year’s backup was also good in limited action.
Odds are Brady will get the starting job.

Memphis & Navy have been able to hang on to successful head coaches for now - a rare thing for this conference. Both will be tough games in 2018. Glad we get Navy in Orlando this time.

I'm old enough to remember when you could search the UCF tag on the Twitter and it would be a bunch of recruiting news & leaks. Now it's the same 5 people from the Twitter mafia arguing with SEC fans about our Natty claim and crickets on the recruiting front.

2 Total OVs over Two full weekends since the Dead Period ended.

#FrostHugger
#DTWD
#PoppinBortles

I'm old enough to remember when you could search the UCF tag on the Twitter and it would be a bunch of recruiting news & leaks. Now it's the same 5 people from the Twitter mafia arguing with SEC fans about our Natty claim and crickets on the recruiting front.

#FrostHugger
#DTWD
#PoppinBortles
Prior years 60-70% of the class wasn’t signed at this point either. Most commits OV before early signing day. After early signing it seems the pickings are slim.

Reactions: 80'sKnight
Prior years 60-70% of the class wasn’t signed at this point either. Most commits OV before early signing day. After early signing it seems the pickings are slim.

This and perhaps the dynamics of coaching change. Hopefully CJH finishes this year strong and steps it up next year

So 13 locked in and zero verbals? That’s playing with fire going into the homestretch

Usually the amount of verbals would be near the class size wanted then there are flips that go both directions near the end

Hopefully there is some verbal news by tonight on 1 of these Defensive targets

Last edited:
Reactions: Ace of Knights

#FrostHugger
#DTWD
#PoppinBortles
2 OV’s over two weekends is pathetic

Remember we also have about 5 power 5 transfers coming in. This gives us a total of about 20 new scholarship athletes already. Most of the transfers will be playing positions in direct response to existing needs due to graduation.

In essence, there is no cause to panic based upon the incoming numbers.

Also, Heupe seems to be concerned about the way that the P5 vultures swoop in as soon as a commit announces UCF as their chosen school. This happened under Frost as well. I sense that commitments may have been attained but the announcements are just being delayed for strategic purposes. This was done during the early signing period by the Heupe team.

This delayed announcement strategy keeps information away from supporters for a little longer, but it does seem to reduce the risk of having commits flipped away from us. This seems to sometimes be needed because, unfortunately, the P5 recruiters become more vulture like once they get news that a recruit has chosen a G5 program such as UCF.

I don't think we need to be afraid of P5 schools as we do our business.

Would like to see the list of 5 transfers, 2 from last year (OL and DE)?

Remember we also have about 5 power 5 transfers coming in. This gives us a total of about 20 new scholarship athletes already. Most of the transfers will be playing positions in direct response to existing needs due to graduation.

In essence, there is no cause to panic based upon the incoming numbers.

Also, Heupe seems to be concerned about the way that the P5 vultures swoop in as soon as a commit announces UCF as their chosen school. This happened under Frost as well. I sense that commitments may have been attained but the announcements are just being delayed for strategic purposes. This was done during the early signing period by the Heupe team.

This delayed announcement strategy keeps information away from supporters for a little longer, but it does seem to reduce the risk of having commits flipped away from us. This seems to sometimes be needed because, unfortunately, the P5 recruiters become more vulture like once they get news that a recruit has chosen a G5 program such as UCF.
So because you have 5 power conference transfers coming in you don’t need to capitalize on the undefeated top ten season and max out your recruiting class with top recruits? Recruiting is one area where it’s okay to be greedy.

According to poolside we’ve had TWO official visits in the last two weeks. WE JUST WON THE PEACH BOWL AND FINISHED TOP TEN 3 WEEKS AGO! How do you only bring two guys in?

I don't think we need to be afraid of P5 schools as we do our business.

Would like to see the list of 5 transfers, 2 from last year (OL and DE)?
It’s the OL from ND, DL from Oregon, tight end from WI, and DB from AL. All fine players but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t bring in more studs to compete

Reactions: KnightVision82
ADVERTISEMENT