ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Kerry Miller of Bleacher Report lists UCF and Old Dominion as intriguing potential landing spots for transferring Penn State junior RB Ricky Slade.

Slade was a five-star recruit for Penn State who was expected to be the next big thing after Saquon Barkley graduated, but the 5-foot-9, 198-pound tailback just didn't get the expected touches in his two years with the program. "If he's open to relocating to a much warmer and more humid climate, that skill set could make UCF an intriguing landing spot," writes Miller, citing his ability as a receiver and the graduation of Otis Anderson and Greg McRae. He also mentions Old Dominion because of his connection to new coach Ricky Rahne -- the former Penn State offensive coordinator -- and that he's from Virginia. There's no timetable for when Slade will announce, but in either program, it's not hard to predict success for Slade.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ricky-Slade-62537/

Having Bentavious with Slade at an Otis type of role in 2021, with Damarius and Triillion as backup looks like a pretty good crew.
I don't know if this article from Penn State's 247 is worth anything but it rates Slade highly at an 89 (high 3 star):
https://247sports.com/college/penn-...l-Joseph-Transfer-Portal-rankings--147038316/

Last edited:
Kerry Miller of Bleacher Report lists UCF and Old Dominion as intriguing potential landing spots for transferring Penn State junior RB Ricky Slade.

Slade was a five-star recruit for Penn State who was expected to be the next big thing after Saquon Barkley graduated, but the 5-foot-9, 198-pound tailback just didn't get the expected touches in his two years with the program. "If he's open to relocating to a much warmer and more humid climate, that skill set could make UCF an intriguing landing spot," writes Miller, citing his ability as a receiver and the graduation of Otis Anderson and Greg McRae. He also mentions Old Dominion because of his connection to new coach Ricky Rahne -- the former Penn State offensive coordinator -- and that he's from Virginia. There's no timetable for when Slade will announce, but in either program, it's not hard to predict success for Slade.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ricky-Slade-62537/

Having Bentavious with Slade at an Otis type of role in 2021, with Damarius and Triillion as backup looks like a pretty good crew.
I remember this guy. He would be good for us. I’m hoping he chooses us over OD.

He was the top APB in the country coming out of HS. A consensus 5 star.
Yes, the high 3 star is an approximation of his rating now, as a transfer that hasn't had massive production the last 3 years. It's all in the article.

Still would be 5th based on average rating on 247, but I should say 4th because Houston only has 3 recruits so things are skewed. SMU and Cinci are looking good and then we are right in the mix with Memphis. Got 6 months to try and finish stronger.
We’re 6th now. So would be 5th yes.

Josh Heupel has been in Orlando for years and he has yet to build relationship with the Florida high schools. Nevermind Florida high schools, just build relationships with the local high schools.

One way to build relationships is by taking local recruits over comparable recruits from other areas. *Golesh really doing it though.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
What's everyone's favorite brain-dead KOCism?

I'm torn between not being able to spell "recruiting" and the fact that he writes "jag" in all caps, as though he thinks random people he doesn't like are part of the Judge Advocate General division.

You contribute zero to this thread. You are probably one of the Dungeonites who believes that Heupel has a secret recruting plan.

I am sure this thread is polluted by sock puppet accounts of UCF coaches and family members.

Isint that right DrunkOnMystery aka Alex Golesh?

What's everyone's favorite brain-dead KOCism?

I'm torn between not being able to spell "recruiting" and the fact that he writes "jag" in all caps, as though he thinks random people he doesn't like are part of the Judge Advocate General division.
You have to admit that recruting just isn't the same. Horrible!

Reactions: shacket
Out of our first 7 commits (1 decommit) only 1 from FL. Very interesting.

I wonder if the strategy is to wait on the FL kids to see who gets processed out of their SEC/ACC offers?

You contribute zero to this thread. You are probably one of the Dungeonites who believes that Heupel has a secret recruting plan.

I am sure this thread is polluted by sock puppet accounts of UCF coaches and family members.

Isint that right DrunkOnMystery aka Alex Golesh?

I like that you accuse me of being both "one of the Dungeonites" and also Alex Golesh in one post.

Is it really so hard for you to believe that I am just someone who thinks you're a self-important idiot who ties waaaaaaay too much of their self-worth in "breaking news" about recruiting on this message board?

Especially since you're entire method of breaking news appears to be "cyber-stalking Beede".

You have to admit that recruting just isn't the same. Horrible!

It's fine. About the same as where it is every year around this time in terms of quantity, and the average rating is higher than previous years.

So I guess you're right; it's not the same, but only because it's actually slightly better.

Out of our first 7 commits (1 decommit) only 1 from FL. Very interesting.

I wonder if the strategy is to wait on the FL kids to see who gets processed out of their SEC/ACC offers?

Looking at the total offers, the majority are for kids in Florida and Georgia. I think it's just coincidence as to where they're getting commits from.

Separate from that, I think everyone's classes are going to look very different by the end of the year, since the restrictions on recruiting mean a whole lot of kids are accepting offers when they'd normally wait to see if they got better ones, and a lot of schools are giving out offers as committable that normally wouldn't be.

24/7 wrote an article about it a couple days ago, which you can see here: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/college-football-top-recruit-decommitment-class-147885342/

I like that you accuse me of being both "one of the Dungeonites" and also Alex Golesh in one post.

Is it really so hard for you to believe that I am just someone who thinks you're a self-important idiot who ties waaaaaaay too much of their self-worth in "breaking news" about recruiting on this message board?

Especially since you're entire method of breaking news appears to be "cyber-stalking Beede".

It's fine. About the same as where it is every year around this time in terms of quantity, and the average rating is higher than previous years.

So I guess you're right; it's not the same, but only because it's actually slightly better.

Looking at the total offers, the majority are for kids in Florida and Georgia. I think it's just coincidence as to where they're getting commits from.

Separate from that, I think everyone's classes are going to look very different by the end of the year, since the restrictions on recruiting mean a whole lot of kids are accepting offers when they'd normally wait to see if they got better ones, and a lot of schools are giving out offers as committable that normally wouldn't be.

24/7 wrote an article about it a couple days ago, which you can see here: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/college-football-top-recruit-decommitment-class-147885342/
Good post, I have noticed the same thing regarding our FL offers vs. commits. I sortof took that to mean we were making more of a push on recruiting the out of state kids we have offered vs the in-state, but it could just be coincidence. Also, I don't put GA / FL into one bucket for us, while we have had success in GA in the past, I don't think GA should be our bread and butter in the way FL should.

I know a lot of people don't buy into this, but I genuinely think that ESD has changed the recruiting timelines and made early recruiting more important. I don't have data to support this (obviously, the data wouldn't even exist yet), but it just seems to make sense that when kids commit earlier, they need to be recruited earlier.

Is it possible he is being told to hold off an announcing because we are waiting on Mitchell Evans? Am I asking for too much?
Eh, I didn't see any indication Mitchell was committing. DG retweeted Nathan's tweet about an announcement. Also, I think the bat signal means someone verbally committed.

Reactions: Beach Knight
Eh, I didn't see any indication Mitchell was committing. DG retweeted Nathan's tweet about an announcement. Also, I think the bat signal means someone verbally committed.
So we are just waiting for Nathan's official announcement then?

Both seem good but I like Mitchell more as a developmental prospect. Honestly just looking at him I even like Mitchell more as an OT prospect than most of the OT's we are looking at too.

Both seem good but I like Mitchell more as a developmental prospect. Honestly just looking at him I even like Mitchell more as an OT prospect than most of the OT's we are looking at too.
That's just what I think, you may want to check with KOC's sources

The way we offered kids, I think we are taking 2 TE. If kids are going on virtual visits that probably means they are top targets so that Mississippi TE might be another kid the staff wants.

I know a lot of people don't buy into this, but I genuinely think that ESD has changed the recruiting timelines and made early recruiting more important. I don't have data to support this (obviously, the data wouldn't even exist yet), but it just seems to make sense that when kids commit earlier, they need to be recruited earlier.

Eh, not really.

The last year before the ESD was introduced, by end of the day on June 7th, UCF had by my count, 5 commits: Otis Anderson, Marvin Washington, Chris Mulumba, Tariq Carpenter, and Julio Castillo. Of that group, only Anderson and Castillo would actually end up signing. Or, sort of? Mulumba's situation was super weird.

The first year of the ESD was 2017/2018. By June 7th of that cycle, we had seven commits: Eric Seidelman, Demetrius Mayes, Edward Collins, Justin McGriff, La'Darius Jefferson, Jontavious Ferguson, and Avonta Crim. McGriff, Jefferson, Ferguson and Crim all wound up decommitting later(the former 2 largely due to Frost leaving, the later 2 were processed), and somewhat oddly, Mayes and Collins are both no longer with the team.

2018/2019 was the first really big year for the ESD, and by June 7th of that cycle, we had three commits(O'keefe, Bethune, and Charlie Dean, who would later decommit in November. Amari Johnson committed on June 8th)

So, having 5 or 6 kids committed right now is right in line with the yearly averages for UCF, both before and after ESD was introduced.

Now kids DO commit earlier, but the move-up of commitments, at least before this year and COVID, was that what had previously been the last 4 months of the process now basically all takes place in November and December.

I'd be willing to entertain the idea that COVID-19 is dramatically changing the playing field for this year, but if we're going to accept that logic, we'd have to also look at things like the likelihood of lots of decommits later in the process, which is a lot of future forecasting for which we're missing a lot of data right now.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT