ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

It’s the OL from ND, DL from Oregon, tight end from WI, and DB from AL. All fine players but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t bring in more studs to compete
A lot of top players don’t care about Peach Bowl wins. They are more impressed with a solid chance to make the playoffs. We can’t compete with that.

A lot of top players don’t care about Peach Bowl wins. They are more impressed with a solid chance to make the playoffs. We can’t compete with that.

I'd semi agree with that, but anyone who isn't delusional would realize that UCF has as much a chance of getting into the playoffs as does 1/2 to 2/3rds of the P5. Anyone honestly looking at the system must realize that only somewhere around 12, or a few more, teams actually have a chance of getting there.

If kids pick a college based on the possibility of going to the playoffs, that’s a major fail IMO
Maybe the very elite HS players, How many actually go? How many even play on the team that goes? How does that affect their future playing career? Good competition and playing time is very important.

If that was the case, then all the 4 and 5 stars should try to go to Alabama. Bama wins it or is in the championship game almost every year.

Nice blizzard moving through that place

Should make that flight home from OVs exciting!

So because you have 5 power conference transfers coming in you don’t need to capitalize on the undefeated top ten season and max out your recruiting class with top recruits? Recruiting is one area where it’s okay to be greedy.

According to poolside we’ve had TWO official visits in the last two weeks. WE JUST WON THE PEACH BOWL AND FINISHED TOP TEN 3 WEEKS AGO! How do you only bring two guys in?
idk why fans are still putting ceilings on this Program after what just happened this season. Correct me if I'm wrong but Houston is in our conference and they capitalized on a Peach Bowl win in recruiting by getting a 5* DT in Ed Oliver.

If 2 weeks goes by and this Program doesn't finish Top 2 in the AAC in Recruiting Ranking that is a bad sign. Even with the coaching change this is a type a year when a Program should be able to capitalize and pick up 1-3 higher rated game changers & not just undersized projects, especially on the Defensive Line.

Corey Bell might be the most disappointing assistant so far, does he even want to be at UCF? He's been on the UCF payroll over a month and he's still has Gator Blue on and RT Gator highlight videos

Last edited:
Per the OS, sounds like Braxton Clark really enjoyed his visit to NE although he did mention the cold not being good. If we don’t hear of an OV to UCF in the next 48 hours, guessing he’ll commit to Frost by Thursday evening. Kid would be a steal for UCF especially with Hughes departing! Ideally his parents convince him to stay home...

He committed to Nebraska today and wouldn't even give UCF a chance at an OV. This along with Stacy Kirby's(Jones HS) flip to USF during the December signing day are big misses with the Orlando area recruits. Kirby even more so bc everyone had him CBed to UCF.

So because you have 5 power conference transfers coming in you don’t need to capitalize on the undefeated top ten season and max out your recruiting class with top recruits? Recruiting is one area where it’s okay to be greedy.

According to poolside we’ve had TWO official visits in the last two weeks. WE JUST WON THE PEACH BOWL AND FINISHED TOP TEN 3 WEEKS AGO! How do you only bring two guys in?
That is correct...because we have a total of 19 or 20, we don't NEED to add more at this time. But do not misunderstand the point that I made... We may WANT to, and we probably will add more before signing day. But my point was that we do not NEED to and we should not panic if somehow we don't.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
That is correct...because we have a total of 19 or 20, we don't NEED to add more at this time. But do not misunderstand the point that I made... We may WANT to, and we probably will add more before signing day. But my point was that we do not NEED to and we should not panic if somehow we don't.
as I know right now UCF at 13, so you're confident there are 7 UCF locks out there right now?

Reactions: hardcoreknight
It’s the OL from ND, DL from Oregon, tight end from WI, and DB from AL. All fine players but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t bring in more studs to compete
and the 4* WR from Ole Miss who will probably get the waiver that will allow him to play this year without sitting out. That will be a total of 5 P5's joining us this year. Something that no other AAC team can come close to claiming.

And yes, that means that from a competitive standpoint, we have already done extraordinarily well since last season. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to get more. But it means we have done quite well even if we don't obtain more.

as I know right now UCF at 13, so you're confident there are 7 UCF locks out there right now?
Sorry, I stand corrected. I was counting Bellamy and Jordan, but they are unsigned. So as you point out, we are at 13 signees so far, not 15. So that would put us at 18 new scholarship athletes for this year, including the 5 who are power 5 transfers. I was just making the point that, given the quality of that haul, instead of the quantity, we have done quite well in our additions for this season.

unless he backs out again Purdy I think is scheduled to be at UCF for a mid week OV Wednesday and Thursday but he's being CBed to Bama. I don't get that decision from him if he wants to pick the best odds to start, the circumstances at UCF would favor him if he's as good as he thinks he is & can beat Mack on the depth chart. At Bama he would have to beat out 2 5 star dual threats

Reactions: KnightLife1
and the 4* WR from Ole Miss who will probably get the waiver that will allow him to play this year without sitting out. That will be a total of 5 P5's joining us this year. Something that no other AAC team can come close to claiming.

And yes, that means that from a competitive standpoint, we have already done extraordinarily well since last season. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to get more. But it means we have done quite well even if we don't obtain more.
I get what you’re saying but I view transfers that signed up with UCF last year and sat this season, differently than recruits that we signed in Dec or hope to sign in the next 2 weeks. I’ll give them credit for the Ole Miss WR. I’m more so surprised at the inability to get high level recruits to even visit during January than I am that we only have 13 commits and very few whispers of others

I’m more so surprised at the inability to get high level recruits to even visit during January than I am that we only have 13 commits and very few whispers of others
agreed and that is the biggest concern right now even if the end result with those recruits may be the same. but no visit puts it at 0% chance vs a possible surprise if one of them really enjoys their OV. You even try to be bring in solid commits to other places(CJ smith for example with the Tre connection). There have been a lot of wtf flips in recruiting before but if you limit the numbers visiting the odds of that go down

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
agreed and that is the biggest concern right now even if the end result with those recruits may be the same. but no visit puts it at 0% chance vs a possible surprise if one of them really enjoys their OV. You even try to be bring in solid commits to other places(CJ smith for example with the Tre connection). There have been a lot of wtf flips in recruiting before but if you limit the numbers visiting the odds of that go down
You’d think we had an international soccer match on campus every weekend or “NCAA limits on OV’s” from sanctions or something

He committed to Nebraska today and wouldn't even give UCF a chance at an OV. This along with Stacy Kirby's(Jones HS) flip to USF during the December signing day are big misses with the Orlando area recruits. Kirby even more so bc everyone had him CBed to UCF.

Sucks!

Heupel does not run the exact same offense as SF. Not sure why people keep saying that. Are they both different than GOL’s style? Sure

Heupel would want more power running than SF and he would want a qb to be in the pocket a little more

I watched the Mizzou-UF game highlights and I felt like I was watching UCF when I saw the Mizzou offense. I'm not saying he runs the exact same offense but it looked really familiar to me.

So let’s say Danny White did make a bad hire with Heupel and Heupel hired a lousy staff and none of them can coach or recruit? Hasn’t this thread become a whole lot of angst about something none of us has any control over?

Reactions: Mikesi
idk why fans are still putting ceilings on this Program after what just happened this season. Correct me if I'm wrong but Houston is in our conference and they capitalized on a Peach Bowl win in recruiting by getting a 5* DT in Ed Oliver.

If 2 weeks goes by and this Program doesn't finish Top 2 in the AAC in Recruiting Ranking that is a bad sign. Even with the coaching change this is a type a year when a Program should be able to capitalize and pick up 1-3 higher rated game changers & not just undersized projects, especially on the Defensive Line.

Corey Bell might be the most disappointing assistant so far, does he even want to be at UCF? He's been on the UCF payroll over a month and he's still has Gator Blue on and RT Gator highlight videos
Houston wasn’t even on radar this year. How did getting that 5* help them? Looked good on paper but results aren’t eye popping team wise.

At this point Huepel is either shitting the bed or asking for silent commits similar to a few guys on early signing day. Hope it’s the latter.
silent commits doesn't really make sense or is needed when you have more than 5 open spots, it is way too quiet and I'm not just talking about coaches but players & HS Coaches. Zero buzz at all. idk how 0-12 UCF could have more buzz on the recruiting trail than 13-0. When Juan at 247 is less active than Shannon at the Sentinel warning sirens should go off.
Houston wasn’t even on radar this year. How did getting that 5* help them? Looked good on paper but results aren’t eye popping team wise.
that's bc Herman's replacement is a downgrade for Houston. Ed Oliver has played great

It's a reminder how quickly momentum can be killed with the wrong hire.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
So let’s say Danny White did make a bad hire with Heupel and Heupel hired a lousy staff and none of them can coach or recruit? Hasn’t this thread become a whole lot of angst about something none of us has any control over?
Agreed. Been saying this for a few weeks

6 foot 5 inches tall and rated a 5.5 on rivals. Committed im July, but did not sign. Seems like a fairly big loss with our need at tight end

He's posting highlights of his players. If anything this is a positive thing for recruits to see that he's committed to the players, which is dying trait in this business. He's a great coach and recruiter. You literally know nothing about what he's doing so please calm down.

I have faith in this program, the leadership at this university and a new coaching staff transitioning into a new university. We're getting transfers still coming in this year and next, and I believe we will be happy with the class we have coming in this year.

While 13-0 is nice, when recruiting in G5 you are only going to get commits over P5 teams when you can offer early playing time and they cannot. Most of UCF's key contributors were freshmen or sophomores last year. Frost was essentially handed a clean slate save for a handful.

He's posting highlights of his players. If anything this is a positive thing for recruits to see that he's committed to the players, which is dying trait in this business. He's a great coach and recruiter. You literally know nothing about what he's doing so please calm down.

I have faith in this program, the leadership at this university and a new coaching staff transitioning into a new university. We're getting transfers still coming in this year and next, and I believe we will be happy with the class we have coming in this year.
I didn't say he is doing nothing but is it too much to ask for him to to be in black and gold since twitter is one of their outlets to communicate with recruits? He's wearing a Gator shirt and he ditched USF after 5 weeks on the job when he got hired there so it was a legit question if he is one of those assistants that thinks he's above working at a G5 Program & is only in it for the paycheck

While 13-0 is nice, when recruiting in G5 you are only going to get commits over P5 teams when you can offer early playing time and they cannot. Most of UCF's key contributors were freshmen or sophomores last year. Frost was essentially handed a clean slate save for a handful.

As a new staff shouldn't they also be able to sell the idea that they are going to be their recruits and will get every opportunity to compete for playing time. Other than QB and RB that is probably entirely true on this team.

As a new staff shouldn't they also be able to sell the idea that they are going to be their recruits and will get every opportunity to compete for playing time. Other than QB and RB that is probably entirely true on this team.
I doubt Heupel wants to mess with the player formula that led to 13-0 too much initially, particularly since they haven't even held a practice yet to get a sense for the players who don't show up on game film. Defensive line, linebackers, and tight end are where UCF needs to focus in recruiting this year with Akins, Griffin, Burkett, Pittman, Geurad, and Lowry moving on. Pretty much all other positions saw mostly underclassmen playing last year. Defense for this class signed 2 for the line, a corner, a safety, and 2 linebackers. All were top 200 recruits in the state of Florida per 247. Also added a big body JUCO tight end who can hopefully have an immediate impact.

Right now I still have to say that our greatest need is in our kicking game! We lost both De La Hoya and Wright this past year. It's worth spending a scholarship in a year like this to a powerful kicker. Also, not sure of punters left on roster?

Right now I still have to say that our greatest need is in our kicking game! We lost both De La Hoya and Wright this past year. It's worth spending a scholarship in a year like this to a powerful kicker. Also, not sure of punters left on roster?

I think both Wright and Loudermilk are back for senior season in 2018. Feel pretty good about that. 2019 it will need to be addressed for sure.

just get one of the players at the Florida Cup to Walk On

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
I think De La Hoya is up to 800,000 followers on Instagram

Hey, how about this, instead of spending so much time wringing our hands on this thread, maybe we should all be texting and emailing Danny White, Heupel and the entire football operation letting them know how disappointed we are with their hiring and recruiting and demand that they do their jobs and get us some good recruits. LOL

Hey, how about this, instead of spending so much time wringing our hands on this thread, maybe we should all be texting and emailing Danny White, Heupel and the entire football operation letting them know how disappointed we are with their hiring and recruiting and demand that they do their jobs and get us some good recruits. LOL
No need to text. They read this board

Reactions: Mikesi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT