ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Does anyone know why Aaron Dowdell is transferring? 4 star OG from our 2016 class. Going to Georgia Southern

Understand that this year is a very different year recruiting wise than any ever before. With the early signing period, a very large percentage of recruits went off the board almost as soon as Heupel was hired. He spent most of his first two weeks, getting the bulk of our existing recruits to be comfortable enough to stick with us. He did an excellent job with the hand he was dealt concerning the existing recruits, considering that the outgoing staff was also recruiting them to Nebraska and had an existing relationship with them.

Now, for the next stage, regarding the February signing date... we are looking at what recruits happen to remain, and also we should consider that we have a totally new staff that, in many respects, did not have a relationship with many of those recruits in our areas of need, or may not have had deep Florida relationships. As we saw over the last two years, Frost developed a stronger and stronger relationship in Florida over his two years here (he has had 3 classes since he arrived: 2016, 17 & 18).

Basically, I am saying, Can we just give Heupel a chance guys? And our support? Let's put ourselves in his shoes. Geeze. Let's not welcome the guy with pitchforks. He's been here only about 5-6 weeks. I for one think the guy deserves our support thus far.

Remember, the Peach Bowl was not won until after early signing day. Its not Heupel's fault that 75% of recruits signed with someone else before we showed the world that we can defeat the cream of the SEC. I believe he is playing the available remaining cards as well as they can be played.

Reactions: muckdawg24
This has been hashed and rehashed to death in this thread...but...questioning the current situation in, of all places, a public Internet forum is not the same as not giving Heypel a chance.

If the optics look bad for someone with black and gold colored glasses, imagine what it looks like outside of that.

For the record, I’m on team we will be fine...just tired of seeing the same circle of posts (and am now contributing to it). Ugh.

Not rated by 247 but shows offers from Miss State and Stanford. Big guy.
Rated 2 stars but looks seriously disruptive on his film. Remember, Trysten Hill was also a 2 star once upon a time. (I think he was upgraded to a low 3 before his recruitment was over). Sometime the stars can be lower, not because of how you play, but if you are from a smaller school. But again, this guy looks strong, quick and disruptive on film.

He’s the next Ndamukong Suh or Warren Sapp. He’s going to toy with Alabama’s offensive linemen when we play them in the National Championship game next year.

This has been hashed and rehashed to death in this thread...but...questioning the current situation in, of all places, a public Internet forum is not the same as not giving Heypel a chance.

If the optics look bad for someone with black and gold colored glasses, imagine what it looks like outside of that.

For the record, I’m on team we will be fine...just tired of seeing the same circle of posts (and am now contributing to it). Ugh.
it's what fan message boards are for. if there is no information or results that come out to contradict it it's ok to start asking questions, otherwise just rename the site DPRKsports.com if only adoration is allowed

Heup
giphy.gif

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
I love how 40% of the board is saying “don’t worry we have transfers coming in”. Umm this class isn’t about 2018 or even 2019. This class is the foundation for 2020, long after the five nice transfers are gone

Exactly. We are looking at 6-6 or worse in 2020 if this class doesn't start to come together. I wish that you could roll scholarships over. I wouldn't mind 7-8 P5 transfers to fill out the rest of the class.

WTF is going on?!
Makes sense with all of the TE transfers/targets we are coming out with. Coaches couldnt figure out whether to keep Bellamy at TE, QB or where to throw him since he played all over in HS. He had almost no film at TE, sub par QB film and some okay defensive film so i assume the coaches passed for some legit TE prospects.

One thing that happens with a new staff is not everyones commits are honored. The new staff has to accept/affirm your commit or offer. They were probably shaky on Bellamy since he doesnt have a set position and in most rights isnt good enough to put a scholarship on as a risky TE

Makes sense with all of the TE transfers/targets we are coming out with. Coaches couldnt figure out whether to keep Bellamy at TE, QB or where to throw him since he played all over in HS. He had almost no film at TE, sub par QB film and some okay defensive film so i assume the coaches passed for some legit TE prospects.

One thing that happens with a new staff is not everyones commits are honored. The new staff has to accept/affirm your commit or offer. They were probably shaky on Bellamy since he doesnt have a set position and in most rights isnt good enough to put a scholarship on as a risky TE
The fact that he didn't commit at early signing and Heupel offered and got a commit from a JUCO rated slightly higher was a warning sign. Could speculate that Heupel passed, but could also be he just wasn't a fit for UCF. Best of luck to the guy.

Exactly. We are looking at 6-6 or worse in 2020 if this class doesn't start to come together. I wish that you could roll scholarships over. I wouldn't mind 7-8 P5 transfers to fill out the rest of the class.

2020? They way everyone is talking, we may be looking at that next year! I get it, it looks bad but it's in bad times when people and organizations need their most support. Right now, do we know for sure what the problems are?

2020? They way everyone is talking, we may be looking at that next year! I get it, it looks bad but it's in bad times when people and organizations need their most support. Right now, do we know for sure what the problems are?

Next year should be fine as long as the players don't get hurt and fully understand/embrace the system. 2019 there could be a drop off.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
We had sanctions and an aging coach back then. Not understanding the rationale for a steep dropoff right now. Fluctuations happen in CFB but we shouldn't see anything that severe again. No excuses. Just a couple weeks left. Come on, Heup. Strap on that track suit and deliver us some prospects!!

Reactions: Poolside Knight
I always laugh at the "no interviews" part of these look at me social media posts like these guys are 5X all pros.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">High school football players making announces be like.... <a href="https://t.co/gfRv6dan7t">pic.twitter.com/gfRv6dan7t</a></p>&mdash; @booboo (@BoTisonia) <a href="">July 4, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Houston wasn’t even on radar this year. How did getting that 5* help them? Looked good on paper but results aren’t eye popping team wise.
I love how 40% of the board is saying “don’t worry we have transfers coming in”. Umm this class isn’t about 2018 or even 2019. This class is the foundation for 2020, long after the five nice transfers are gone

Man, the sanctions must be coming on real drastically if we can't sign anyone in 2018 or 201! I've never heard of a freshman or sophomore starting for a 13-0 team.

Sarcasm over, I agree so far it doesn't look that great, but I just looked up and the sky's still there.

We had sanctions and an aging coach back then. Not understanding the rationale for a steep dropoff right now. Fluctuations happen in CFB but we shouldn't see anything that severe again. No excuses. Just a couple weeks left. Come on, Heup. Strap on that track suit and deliver us some prospects!!

Heup better get it together or :fire::fire::fire::fire: next season.

Reactions: Ace of Knights
Next year should be fine as long as the players don't get hurt and fully understand/embrace the system. 2019 there could be a drop off.
This. If Heup finishes this class with 2 star specials Milton's Senior Season is going to be a less talented roster than his Sophomore one.

Last edited:
Reactions: firm_bizzle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT