ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

TJ Lewis committed to Louisville earlier today. That’s too bad, I’m a big fan of his film. I will look forward to seeing him lead Louisville’s offense down the road.

I know some people on here are fans of Mikey Keene. Looks like UCF is down to Keene or Ransom if they get a quarterback in this class (obviously, someone else could land here down the road as well. A lot can happen between now and December).

It seems like there’s been a shift where pretty good qb recruits are starting to go to smaller schools where they can start right away. Like shadeur sanders going to Louisville. I think once Gabriel is closer to being done we’ll be able to get a real good recruit.
UL is an ACC school that just had one of the best Running QBs in history. That’s not a small school or a fluke.

It seems like there’s been a shift where pretty good qb recruits are starting to go to smaller schools where they can start right away. Like shadeur sanders going to Louisville. I think once Gabriel is closer to being done we’ll be able to get a real good recruit.

So you don't think we have recruited good QBs?

Reactions: Yaes
Anybody heard anything more about Mikey Keene? He looked really strong to me.

Having a starting QB who is just coming out of his Freshman year does affect recruiting. Of course, Heup knew this before deciding to start a Freshman. It is a known consequence in college football, just heightened at the G5 level where the main recruiting pitch is often the chance for early playing time. We are fortunate to have Parker Navarro patiently arrive while DG was a freshman.

I did see that he received an official offer. Has he tweeted anything?
I am not aware of anything. I like his accuracy and ability to keep plays alive. Our offense would fit his skills very well. I'm not making any predictions but he would put up BIG numbers here. I feel like our offense is absolutely one of the most QB friendly offense in the nation, regardless of conference, division, subdivision, or any other criteria and he would be able to take advantage of it fully.

Reactions: Yaes
I am not aware of anything. I like his accuracy and ability to keep plays alive. Our offense would fit his skills very well. I'm not making any predictions but he would put up BIG numbers here. I feel like our offense is absolutely one of the most QB friendly offense in the nation, regardless of conference, division, subdivision, or any other criteria and he would be able to take advantage of it fully.

I agree with a lot of this. UCF does run a very QB-friendly offense. It’s an offense that allows quarterbacks a lot of leeway to make plays, improvise, get creative, etc.

The one thing to keep in mind though is that college football coaching staffs turnover rather frequently. I think that’s important to remember when talking about a kid that’s an inch or two shorter than six feet.

A coaching staff at UCF in two to three years (when Keene would be ready to play) may not value the same things that Heupel’s staff (or even Frost’s staff) saw in prospects.

I agree with a lot of this. UCF does run a very QB-friendly offense. It’s an offense that allows quarterbacks a lot of leeway to make plays, improvise, get creative, etc.

The one thing to keep in mind though is that college football coaching staffs turnover rather frequently. I think that’s important to remember when talking about a kid that’s an inch or two shorter than six feet.

A coaching staff at UCF in two to three years (when Keene would be ready to play) may not value the same things that Heupel’s staff (or even Frost’s staff) saw in prospects.
That thought is 100% valid but I don't think we can recruit for a possible staff change so we should just hope for the best possible QB. Even if we knew when a coaching change would happen, we have no reason to think the potential new coach would have such a strong bias about height. Of course it's not my job to recruit but in my work I find those types of things slow us down or can lead to "paralysis by analysis". Either way as long as we get a great QB I'll be happy.

Reactions: Knightro20
That thought is 100% valid but I don't think we can recruit for a possible staff change so we should just hope for the best possible QB. Even if we knew when a coaching change would happen, we have no reason to think the potential new coach would have such a strong bias about height. Of course it's not my job to recruit but in my work I find those types of things slow us down or can lead to "paralysis by analysis". Either way as long as we get a great QB I'll be happy.
Agree completely

Reactions: Knight Strength
As good as our new recruiting class may or may not be, I still hate being ranked 5th in our conference and I still think that should not be the case. And I still bleed Black and Gold

I agree but we're also pretty far from the end. A few of our guys being unrated brings us down. Memphis has 18/19 players ranked, we're at 11/14.

There's a lot of volatility too: Cinci had a top 30 or so class a few weeks ago, now they're 51.

Thanks. Makes me feel a little better.

The number of recruits can play a big role in 247's rankings. An example is last year's class, where we finished in 7th place. ECU is 6th, but less than one point ahead of us with six more rated recruits and an average ranking 1.44 pts lower than ours. Tulane finished 3rd but they only had 2.87 more points than us because of one more recruit.

If we had taken a few more players rated around the class's average rank, we'd probably have finished 2nd or 3rd in points. If it was based on average ranking we'd have finished 4th.

Speaking of 247s ratings- do you guys think there's much of a difference in a class average of 83.00 vs 84.00?

I feel like it doesn't matter until the difference in class average is 2.00 points. That's a rule of thumb I go by when comparing how much one team's class is better than another teams. For example if we have a class average of 85.00 and Memphis has a class average of 84.00, the difference in average isn't big enough to mean anything. Even if it put Memphis' class in 10th place and ours in 1st, I don't really think it means s***.

Something that this doesn't account for, but does matter, is if a team has a big 4* QB committed (like SMU right now, or Cincy last year). QB means a lot in CFB. Other positions can be big time difference makers as well.

These are a couple of the first things I look at when comparing teams recruiting classes.

Reactions: ahabmw
Speaking of 247s ratings- do you guys think there's much of a difference in a class average of 83.00 vs 84.00?

I feel like it doesn't matter until the difference in class average is 2.00 points. That's a rule of thumb I go by when comparing how much one team's class is better than another teams. For example if we have a class average of 85.00 and Memphis has a class average of 84.00, the difference in average isn't big enough to mean anything. Even if it put Memphis' class in 10th place and ours in 1st, I don't really think it means s***.

Something that this doesn't account for, but does matter, is if a team has a big 4* QB committed (like SMU right now, or Cincy last year). QB means a lot in CFB. Other positions can be big time difference makers as well.

These are a couple of the first things I look at when comparing teams recruiting classes.

Yeah, I don't think a slight difference in points is that big of a deal. In my opinion offer list is the best indicator of the quality of the player. Our lowest rated player is Matthew Alexander at .8322, but he has offers from teams in 4/5 of the P5 conferences, with three SEC offers.

Yeah, I don't think a slight difference in points is that big of a deal. In my opinion offer list is the best indicator of the quality of the player. Our lowest rated player is Matthew Alexander at .8322, but he has offers from teams in 4/5 of the P5 conferences, with three SEC offers.
I just hope we can keep players like this. Some of them are still getting recruited but other schools.

Girlfriend says good news
For her or for him? I hope it is good news for all concerned and that he is strictly following his doctors' advice. As much as I want to see him play again, I just don't want him more seriously hurt nor do I want to see him play if he is not back to the level he was or better. I would rather remember him as he was and hire him as a coach. I really admire and like this young man.

Looking to be closer to home. Seems he's leaving on good terms, he's been very positive towards UGA on twitter even after announcing his transfer.
That all sounds good. There sure are a lot of uncommitted players in the portal. I had no idea there were that many until I looked at it.

Is he supposed to be interested in UCF as well? I don't see that from the link provided. What am I doing wrong?

It seems like with the new board update, the twitter links that were here are gone.

In Jeremy's post, he linked to Divaad Wilson's announcement that he's coming to UCF: .

And here's the link to the tweet I posted, Kamal Hadden's top 7 which includes us:

Jeremy, am I mistaken or when I click on the link you provided and go to his predictions, don't they all indicate him staying at Georgia? I didn't even see UCF in his list of schools. Why do people think he's coming here? What am I not seeing?
Thanks. It was my bad. I hadn't see the article in 247 Sports.

Reactions: john_gkco
ADVERTISEMENT