ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

That is a stupid comment..you can list many current NFL QBs that didnt impress or had no offers out of high school. (Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield)
You do realize you’re comparing this guy to Aaron Rodgers right? So who’s being stupid here?

Give him a
Are you guys being serious or just messing around? This guys mechanics look really off. He was in the recruiting class of 2020 and no school wanted him, not even USF or UCONN. Let’s leave him in the library studying for his engineering degree.
Give him a shot as a walk on....It will only strengthen the Quarterback room anyways. .Plus maybe he can adjust to another role as well. It's not like they are offering a scholarship anyways.

I'm all for giving people a shot. Sometimes people go unnoticed, Mayfield, Josh Allen, Jj watt etc.
Not sure how many other QBs are trying to walk on. I’m sure now that Malzahn is here he’s getting hit up constantly for walk ons.

Reactions: PhDee
Are you guys being serious or just messing around? This guys mechanics look really off. He was in the recruiting class of 2020 and no school wanted him, not even USF or UCONN. Let’s leave him in the library studying for his engineering degree.

I agree with you. Their posts reflect a mentality that I have been fighting since day one.

The kid is not good enough at QB and everything suports that opinion. He will never take a snap at QB here.

Gus will recruit the best class ever and fans will be happy. They will learn what legit recruits are.

Just because a kid likes UCF or wants to plays here makes him good enough or should be defended or hyped by fans .

Heup took many a kid that should have never been offered and that's why Gus has to plug in holes now.

People here were rolling with a LB with zero P5 offers just because he had in his profile that he runs a 4.5. 6'2" 220 LB with a 4.5 and zero P5 or good G5 offers and people take his word that he runs a 4.50.

Look at the tape man. Kid should have never been offered. We went to NC to get a LB nobody wanted. A "hidden gem" I am sure. Look there are no hidden gem or better put most unranked players are what the ranking indicates.

What makes fans think that the staff here is better that everyone else at identifying talent?

Rankings matter. Ranking matters.

The standard is not - he wants to be at UCF. So what? Is he good enough to play at UCF?

When a player commits that means that he wants to be here. It's implicitly stated.

We want players that are very good and will help level up this football program. That's who we want. I dont care about "he wants to come here". Its irrelevant.

Reactions: Endeavor.
I agree with you. Their posts reflect a mentality that I have been fighting since day one.

The kid is not good enough at QB and everything suports that opinion. He will never take a snap at QB here.

Gus will recruit the best class ever and fans will be happy. They will learn what legit recruits are.

Just because a kid likes UCF or wants to plays here makes him good enough or should be defended or hyped by fans .

Heup took many a kid that should have never been offered and that's why Gus has to plug in holes now.
When do you think we land a 5 star recruit? Or how far off are we?

The standard is not - he wants to be at UCF. So what? Is he good enough to play at UCF?

When a player commits that means that he wants to be here. It's implicitly stated.

We want players that are very good and will help level up this football program. That's who we want. I dont care about "he wants to come here". Its irrelevant.
I don’t think a kid is trying to walk on equates to being a starter or even taking a snap. It’s simply he’s trying to walk on. Like Coach K’s son. No one thought he would play.

Reactions: ElprofesorJuan
Let's discuss something that makes sense. Let's talk about what is Gus going to do to help the LB room.

LB's were atrocious last year and that's not my option but a fact. Randy has been coaching LB's for what 25 years? It's not coaching that was the problem with those guys.

T-Will is a great developer but I doubt he can make a big difference. So what then?

We need LB help desperately and none will be coming from the fall enrollees. I like Joyce but his ceiling is low and he wont be ready for a while.

I am sure that Gus and T-Will are looking at the portal but there are not many viable guys.

The kid from USC is said to be either Michigan State or Ohio State. Henry To'o To'o is the top guy at the position and everyone wants him. CB's and word of mouth have him pegged to Bama.

It's a tough spot for the staff. I am hoping more LB's enter the portal after Spring.

Reactions: PhDee
When do you think we land a 5 star recruit? Or how far off are we?

I believe we have a shot to land 4-5 composite 4 star recruits this year and that would be fantastic.

The class will be better all around. Instead of low 3 stars we will get high three stars for the rest of the spots.

The football program will level up. There's goodwill due to our success on the field and Gus is a well respected coach. There are excellent recruiters on this staff.

A 5 star? I can't say that it wont or cant happen but it will take what some would call - a perfect storm.

Very high 4's or 5's are a different game. Top SEC schools and others like Clemson, OSU and the like get involved. We just cant compete with them in terms of facilities and exposure.

More important, the mere fact that we play in the AAC makes it very, very difficult. Our future schedule as it stands has zero matchups that will get the attention of 5 star kids. They will be looking for maximum exposure and our conference will not be something that attracts such a high profile recruit.

I am not it saying it's impossible but it will take a very special set of perfectly timed circumstances for it to happen.

The leap to P5 will be a game changer. At that time our chances of landing a 5 star increase exponentially.

I am not trying to be a mope but there's no P6. That's just silly hype. We get $6M-$7M from the new TV contract and P5 schools get $40M and up.

We are realistically top three in terms of candidates to get a P5 invite and it will happen sooner rather than later.

For now getting a class this year ranked in the high 30's or low 40's is probably the best outcome and it will be a fantastic result.

It's great to have high expectations, I know I do. But we have to be realistic at the same time.

We have the program, the fan support and a high quality staff - enough to entice a 5 star but the AAC holds us back (for now).

Last edited:
Obliged to say this seems to confirm what KoC was saying about the LB quality in depth issue. Travis Williams will sort it out.
Obliged to say this seems to confirm what KoC was saying about the LB quality in depth issue. Travis Williams will sort it out.
Not sure how he helps. He was listed as DL at BYU and he had 1 tackle last year. Are Hawaiin DL known for speed?

Not sure how he helps. He was listed as DL at BYU and he had 1 tackle last year. Are Hawaiin DL known for speed?

He was a LB in high school and has hardly played at BYU. I am sure we will try him at LB and at DE. He seems to be a tweener type player.

The kid has been portal twice without takers. That only illustrates the lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball when we are spending a 2022 counter on him.

How many transfers is this already? 6? I am sure there will be one or two more additions before Fall camp.

Talent on the team needs to be upgraded. Gus and his staff are trying to fill holes as best they can. 6-4 was not an aberration but an indictment on Josh Heupel's inability to bring talent to the program.

So happy that Jabba The Heup is gone. The same for Golesh, Hazle and the rest of his acolytes. Those boys ain't built for the SEC.

It's obvious that Gus and his staff were not happy with the team talent in many position groups.

I believe it's six transfers already and counting. We now offered a portal kicker. We are using 2022 counters on these guys and we will probably only have 15 total 2022 spots by the Fall.

It's not ideal, to say the least, to bring in a class with only 15 high school recruits. But the current staff wants to win now to establish momentum from year one and I am good with that.

We are not done with the portal yet, not even close to being done.

It's obvious that Gus and his staff were not happy with the team talent in many position groups.

I believe it's six transfers already and counting. We now offered a portal kicker. We are using 2022 counters on these guys and we will probably only have 15 total 2022 spots by the Fall.

It's not ideal, to say the least, to bring in a class with only 15 high school recruits. But the current staff wants to win now to establish momentum from year one and I am good with that.

A big need though, thanks for the insight

Can we keep rolling this over? Maybe we take 25 next year but only 15 the following year? And we just keep rolling this over

Pretty sure he’s related to a couple nfl guys with that last name.

First time I've ever seen us offer that far out. Real smart. Cultivate serious relationships. I am a headhunter at a Fortune 100 company and if you want high level exec talent, you need to start courting them sometimes a few years early. Same thing applies with a football program serious about crootin.

Man, this statement from four star Apopka CB Nikai Martinez getting recruited by Gus and UCF is great but it hurts man...Heupel and staff were the worst, Apopka and Lakeland powerhouses should be staples and they just weren’t. None of FL was, sad.

"I was happy," Martinez said when he learned that UCF had hired Malzahn. "Coach Gus likes a lot of Florida boys, Orlando too. Usually, UCF doesn't recruit a lot of people from my area that I'm in. Coach Gus, he's not scared to take a chance on the Florida boys."

Jason Beede doing good work out there btw.

Man, this statement from four star Apopka CB Nikai Martinez getting recruited by Gus and UCF is great but it hurts man...Heupel and staff were the worst, Apopka and Lakeland powerhouses should be staples and they just weren’t. None of FL was, sad.

"I was happy," Martinez said when he learned that UCF had hired Malzahn. "Coach Gus likes a lot of Florida boys, Orlando too. Usually, UCF doesn't recruit a lot of people from my area that I'm in. Coach Gus, he's not scared to take a chance on the Florida boys."

Jason Beede doing good work out there btw.
this man's committable offers include notre dame and clemson, no UCF coaching staff is scared of Florida boys and you're not someone you "take a chance" on. everyone wants you.

ADVERTISEMENT