ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Thread

Limped toward the finish on the field and may limp towards the finish in Recruiting…if that happens considering that is supposed to Gus’s biggest selling point then what is he doing here ? Bc he isn’t an x&os Gameday coach

Understanding the transfer portal...
We are all trying to understand the transfer portal and why it's being used so often.
Let's look at the 5 players in this list and speculate a little bit...forgive me.

QB has serious competition here and wasn't recruited by current head coach.
CB has possible NIL opportunity and perhaps wants to go to Miami???
Punter was benched this season and looking for fresh start.
WR was expected to join the seniors last home game and try the NFL.
LB wasn't expected by many to stay here another season.

The NIL is offering many established athletes who have a degree to get a guaranteed
paycheck before trying to get in the NFL. Like it or not players have financial needs
and the transfer portal is like a bonus to getting a degree for 5th year athletes who
were able to red shirt one season. Note: Xtra Covid year of eligibility puts starters like
the LB into this category.

Final Comments:
1) For those who are undergrads and are taking a risk with the portal the odds of them
succeeding are not good (Note: See UCF football SI reporter article)
2) There are only 22 starting positions for offense and defense. There are over 100
players on UCF roster. Some players are going to be unhappy because they're not
starting so they are going to try the transfer portal. Don't always assume that the
coaches did something wrong.
3) Football players are student-athletes. We call the NFL, not for long and many of our
guys only get a sniff of the NFL as they spend one day or up to one week as a free agent on a NFL team in the spring. They should remember this as they dream of big NIL deals and going to the NFL.

Reactions: Psycho Jim
Yup, not looking good…if Prime actually wants him I feel like Prime will get him. Outlier is this dude hates the cold. I hate the cold and have told employers I don’t go out of the SE, but I’m 39 with a broken body where everything hurts. I remember being 18, old bones don’t correlate.

Reactions: tjb74
Yup, not looking good…if Prime actually wants him I feel like Prime will get him. Outlier is this dude hates the cold. I hate the cold and have told employers I don’t go out of the SE, but I’m 39 with a broken body where everything hurts. I remember being 18, old bones don’t correlate.
Theres alot of truth in that

Prime is a used car salesman. He tells kids whatever they want to hear. At HBCU he said they need to go there for their people. What will new line be at Colorado? He isn’t only coach that can get them into NFL. He hasn’t shown he can win on big stage as HC yet. He’ll be out of Colorado before this years HS recruits graduate. If he sucks he’s fired and if he does great a blue blood pays him 9 mil a year.

I had an idea what our visit routine was under Frost but not sure under Gus but I hope in this new nil world it isn’t ‘cookie cutter’. Let them safely view the ‘scenery’ at places like Library.

We gotta hang onto our DB and OL recruits else it's gonna be ugly in the B12 transition.
I got a theory on that one and it is related to the negative impact of bringing in a lot of players (tackles) from the transfer portal. The kids that come in as a recruit have high hopes that when they are upper classmen that they will get their chance to start and the portal is dashing these hopes. It's all about playing time for these guys. I was wondering about the negative impact our high usage of the transfer portal to get starting tackles.

It looks like we are recruiting a lot less OL players. Perhaps, they see the same trend that I do?

I got a theory on that one and it is related to the negative impact of bringing in a lot of players (tackles) from the transfer portal. The kids that come in as a recruit have high hopes that when they are upper classmen that they will get their chance to start and the portal is dashing these hopes. It's all about playing time for these guys. I was wondering about the negative impact our high usage of the transfer portal to get starting tackles.

It looks like we are recruiting a lot less OL players. Perhaps, they see the same trend that I do?
Interesting take on the issue. From the beginning I was not a fan of the portal or NIL at least not the way they are currently set up. Still do not see how either is good for College Football.

Reactions: ucffan642
Losing Walker isn’t the only thing Gus & staff need to worry about. Auburn came in with a late offer to Lake Mary DB Braeden Marshall. He’s visiting Auburn this weekend.

Lose those two four-star prospects and this class is a lot worse off.

Losing Walker isn’t the only thing Gus & staff need to worry about. Auburn came in with a late offer to Lake Mary DB Braeden Marshall. He’s visiting Auburn this weekend.

Imo weve already lost walker and should look to close on deejay and some others committed elsewhere. Auburn doesnt worry me, theyre a dumpster fire

Reactions: Yaes

It’s been months since the Program’s had real good news ..you can’t peak in the Summer

Reactions: Yaes
Bunch of Nancy's on theis thread. We will recruit players and the best of them will play. If they can't win games we look for a new coach. We are Big XII now we should expect a higher rated recruit class as we will need one to win the Big XII

Imo weve already lost walker and should look to close on deejay and some others committed elsewhere. Auburn doesnt worry me, theyre a dumpster fire
Mrs Holmes, please just calm down. We like your son and hope he joins our university

Reactions: Poolside Knight
wtf is going on? no announced staff changes ..there has to be something going on

Figured if TWill was Auburn bound it would have been reported already

Last edited:
wtf is going on? no announced staff changes ..there has to be something going on

Figured if TWill was Auburn bound it would have been reported already

If I was looking at the team, I would be reaching out to current players and those that transferred, particularly those that play the same position and are team captains.

Curious what transfers are saying, if they say it's NIL or just wanted a new environment then no big deal. If they are saying that they don't like xyz about the program, team, staff, ect. Then you start second guessing if it's a fit.

I think recruits have been able to see, Gus plays old school, boring, uninspiring football.

Offensively: 6-play playbook plus a few stupid trick plays. Doesn’t utilize WR’s with more than screens or end around runs. Doesn’t use tight ends across the middle. Why would any real talent want to come here?

Defensively: bend, don’t break.

Nothing inspirational, creative or offer the ability for skill players to put up big numbers to help them show off their talents for the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT