ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Hypothetical example. Using Brady as an example coming out of Michigan as a backup might be a better example but that is a very isolated case. The bottom line is..... How many backup QBs at any level are successful at the next level? I don't know the answer but would guess a very low percentage. And there are many underlying reasons as to why.....
Most NFL QBs were backups in College at least.

Bortles backed up Godfrey. I think his point is “they were a back up at some point”

Not the point. Almost every QB starts out as a backup! How many senior backup QBs at any level are successful at the next level???? I would think it is a very low percentage......Is it worth it to offer a QB who wasn't good enough to start his senior year in HS? Is a backup QB prepared to effectively compete at the next level??? Is recent and relavent game experience that overrated????

Last edited:
Bortles backed up Godfrey. I think his point is “they were a back up at some point”
Bortles committed to UCF after Godfrey who at the time was considered 'the guy' for UCF at that position. Worked hard in practice and took the job.

Dean is getting beat and wants to run to another program, maybe 2 with high school competition and at a Program that is always overrated. Plant always gets their ass kicked when they meet a HS from Dade. And he is doing this as a 2-3 star, that says a lot about his mental makeup.

Bortles committed to UCF after Godfrey who at the time was considered 'the guy' for UCF at that position. Worked hard in practice and took the job.

Dean is getting beat and wants to run to another program, maybe 2 with high school competition and at a Program that is always overrated. Plant always gets their ass kicked when they meet a HS from Dade. And he is doing this as a 2-3 star, that says a lot about his mental makeup.
It says a lot about your mental makeup speculating as to what a 17 year old is thinking.

Reactions: Nyght Shadow

I acknowledge this looks bad but Dean is young and... how many QB recruits have we had that were rated much better?

We know Dean has some talent, he comitted early, wants to get here early, AND has been encouraging recruits to come to UCF. Those are indicators of being enthusiastic, a team player and a leader.

We don't have a ton of depth at QB but its unlikely he will take over at UCF as a freshman so he'll have at least another year of coaching from Heup.

Considering all this, I can't be brought to stress over the situation. It's about as good as things get for us.

Not the point. Almost every QB starts out as a backup! How many senior backup QBs at any level are successful at the next level???? I would think it is a very low percentage......Is it worth it to offer a QB who wasn't good enough to start his senior year in HS? Is a backup QB prepared to effectively compete at the next level??? Is recent and relavent game experience that overrated????
You keep using Brady as an example. Brady started every game his last 2 years. Most QBs start out in either HS or college as backups. Sounded to me like you said they didn’t.

They came at same time. He also didn’t take the job. Godfrey shit the bed.

You keep using Brady as an example. Brady started every game his last 2 years. Most QBs start out in either HS or college as backups. Sounded to me like you said they didn’t.

Sounds like we are talking past each other. I did refer to Brady after someone else brought him into the thread, and yes not a good example. Never said most QBs didn't start out as backups. My key point has always been .....why should anyone feel good about a QB that isn’t good enough to start his senior year?

They came at same time. He also didn’t take the job. Godfrey shit the bed.
Godfrey failed at learning how to pass effectively from the pocket. You can get away with this in High School and initially in college until they learn how to game plan you and force you to stay in the pocket.

If the staff wants him on the team, that’s good enough for me.

Except that when they extended the offer they may not have known he might very well be sitting his senior year. How much does that set him back in the maturation process? Would that have made a difference in making him an offer?

Reactions: Poolside Knight
The main reason why Israel didnt come to UCF was that O'Leary and his staff never stepped foot on Lake Nona's campus. As a matter of fact, it was widely known that O'Leary didnt make connections to any local HS coaches. Israel wanted to play big time college football with his #1 being Alabama. It's just astonishing that a 6A QB could be setting state records in your backyard and no on ever even talked to the coaching staff about him. He ended up at Clemson and has been 3rd-4th string ever since never seeing substantial gametime. All of his family is here, he has multiple rings, his cousin played here, and he has tons of time playing scout team. He would be a great add at QB...especially if he has a couple years left.

Sounds like we are talking past each other. I did refer to Brady after someone else brought him into the thread, and yes not a good example. Never said most QBs didn't start out as backups. My key point has always been .....why should anyone feel good about a QB that isn’t good enough to start his senior year?
Because the UCF coaches see something in him that is why you should feel good about it. Did you feel good about an unknown QB from Hawaii who struggled as a Freshman? He is good enough to start as a senior anyway. He might just not start at Plant where the favorite is a class of 2020 QB already fielding P5 offers. My key point has always been... there can be multiple talented players on a roster that play the same position.

Because the UCF coaches see something in him that is why you should feel good about it. Did you feel good about an unknown QB from Hawaii who struggled as a Freshman? He is good enough to start as a senior anyway. He might just not start at Plant where the favorite is a class of 2020 QB already fielding P5 offers. My key point has always been... there can be multiple talented players on a roster that play the same position.

True, there can be multiple talented players on a roster that play the same position. And yes I did feel good about KZ after he committed. There were articles comparing him to Mariota. But back to the crux of this issue......Do you think a backup HS QB is prepared to effectively compete at the next level? Do you think that Dean sitting instead of playing wont set him back in the maturation process? Do you think that recent game experience is not important?

Last edited:
Except that when they extended the offer they may not have known he might very well be sitting his senior year. How much does that set him back in the maturation process? Would that have made a difference in making him an offer?
I’m not sure...Maybe that ends up being a factor but I tend to think talent is talent and that NCAA coaches have a better shot at converting that talent to on the field performance than HS coaches. Perhaps the lack of HS playing time might slow the development process but I don’t see it limiting a player’s ceiling.

I’m by no means saying the kid is a stud, just that they wouldn’t have offered if they didn’t think there was something there.

True, there can be multiple talented players on a roster that play the same position. And yes I did feel good about KZ after he committed. There were articles comparing him to Mariota. But back to the crux of this issue......Do you think a backup HS QB is prepared to effectively compete at the next level? Do you think that Dean sitting instead of playing wont set him back in the maturation process? Do you think that recent game experience is not important?
May not be as important as you seem to think. How many college QBs start as true freshmen? Anyway I thought he was transferring so he could start next year.

I mean a seasoned college coach thought Pete Dinovo was the answer in 2014. But if a high school coach starts somebody besides Dean then he must suck.

May not be as important as you seem to think. How many college QBs start as true freshmen? Anyway I thought he was transferring so he could start next year.

Allegedly he has already lost the Plant HS QB competition and is considering a second transfer

I mean a seasoned college coach thought Pete Dinovo was the answer in 2014. But if a high school coach starts somebody besides Dean then he must suck.

Assessing his ability is certainly a consideration and perhaps Dean's upside potential is high. That said there are many other important underlying considerations in developing and maturing his QB skills to be effective at the next level. I would think that actually playing QB rather than riding the bench would be one of the most important.....thats all.

Allegedly he has already lost the Plant HS QB competition and is considering a second transfer
He lost out to a incoming junior who is getting P5 offers. If the guy he lost out to ends up being a 4 star are you really going to fault him for transferring somewhere where he can play as a senior?

He lost out to a incoming junior who is getting P5 offers. If the guy he lost out to ends up being a 4 star are you really going to fault him for transferring somewhere where he can play as a senior?

No, I think he should do what ever he can to play his senior year

So if this kid had a scholarship from us and other offers, why did he have to transfer?

The first transfer was so he could graduate early, now that he lost the QB competition at Plant HS he is looking for a better chance to play his senior year.

But back to the crux of this issue......Do you think a backup HS QB is prepared to effectively compete at the next level? Do you think that Dean sitting instead of playing wont set him back in the maturation process? Do you think that recent game experience is not important?

You're looking at this from a perspective of expecting him to come in and play right away as a Freshman.
Unless KZ leaves early, Dean would be a Freshman (probably redshirt) when KZ is a senior, meaning Dean likely would not even be under consideration for the starting spot until at least his 2nd year at UCF.

The point is, the coaches have watched tape of games he has played. They have also likely seen him at workouts/camps. They must see some talent there to make an offer. And just because he ends up being behind some 5-star future Alabama QB in high school doesn't mean that his talent disappears.

Reactions: KnightLife1
You're looking at this from a perspective of expecting him to come in and play right away as a Freshman.

Nope, I never said that....

The point is, the coaches have watched tape of games he has played. They have also likely seen him at workouts/camps. They must see some talent there to make an offer.

Obviously, and I never said anything to dispute that......

My point is that ......Playing QB as a senior in HS rather than riding the bench with the second and third string as a spectator is not desirable in any way. Zero upside, period.

I don't understand how hard a concept that is to understand!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikesi

Not in those exact words, but many of your statements over the course of the entire thread make it seem like you expect they guy to be fully prepared to play when he arrives.

I don't disagree that it's not a great situation. And, if he is not a starter somewhere, maybe Heuple will press harder to get two other QB's next signing class.

But if he enrolls early he will have an extra spring session (compared to a normal freshman) where he will be able to get a head start learning the offense...plus the summer after his first spring session will be an extra summer he can work with actual knowledge of the offense (compared to a normal freshman who can't participate in the spring practice before their freshman year).

The first transfer was so he could graduate early, now that he lost the QB competition at Plant HS he is looking for a better chance to play his senior year.
As soon as he announced he was going there most people said it was a mistake. But he wanted to graduate early instead of play. Now he doesn’t care if he graduates early or what?

I don't keep track of these things very well but Charlie Dean's recruit rating was downgraded. He was also bumped down in rankings shortly after he commited to UCF.

Of course these ratings are very fluid and subject to bias so I don't take it to mean much. Posting because its relevant to the way this thread went. I still like him.

Obviously, and I never said anything to dispute that......

My point is that ......Playing QB as a senior in HS rather than riding the bench with the second and third string as a spectator is not desirable in any way. Zero upside, period.

I don't understand how hard a concept that is to understand!
Get rid of him.

I don't keep track of these things very well but Charlie Dean's recruit rating was downgraded. He was also bumped down in rankings shortly after he commited to UCF.

Of course these ratings are very fluid and subject to bias so I don't take it to mean much. Posting because its relevant to the way this thread went. I still like him.
He wasn't downgraded. He was rated 84 in the 247 composite based on a single recruiting site (247). Since rivals has rated him a 5.4 2 star so his composite rating went down since it is an average of the rating sites.

He wasn't downgraded. He was rated 84 in the 247 composite based on a single recruiting site (247). Since rivals has rated him a 5.4 2 star so his composite rating went down since it is an average of the rating sites.
Good catch. Thanks for correcting me.

So he may not get meaningful snaps in a game for 3 years (if he doesn’t play his senior year?) Thats not very encouraging at all...

ADVERTISEMENT