ADVERTISEMENT

Republican debate

Cubs79

Golden Knight
Jan 4, 2014
Mostly predictable talking points and nowhere near the fireworks I expected. I thought Haley was the best, desantis held his own but didn't really standout. Christie had his moments but was expecting him to go after desantis harder. And Vivek was the one most attacked and the one with the loudest cheers. I think he comes across as super arrogant and phony, but appears to be resonating with some people and he is super maga for sure.

Any thoughts?

My takeaways:

I honestly wish Christie were more marketable.

Vivek is a shit shoveler--reminds me of debating with a frat guy

Pence isn't terrible, but he stands no chance with Trump nuthuggers

Ron was extremely average

The rest were forgettable

None of them really want to divorce themselves from Donald, save one

The abortion issue is starting to tear fissures in the party

Last edited:
My takeaways:

Ron was extremely average

The rest were forgettable

None of them really want to divorce themselves from Donald, save one

The abortion issue is starting to tear fissures in the party
I thought Pence did well too, but he is in an almost impossible situation. He has to try and distance himself from Trump, while at the same time praising the Trump administration, and that's not going to work.

I am interested in seeing if Vivek gets any type of a polling bump. I didn't really take him seriously but the way everyone went after him, they obviously do take him seriously.

Last edited:
I didn't watch debate but saw a clip from CNN, Iowa voters in the group picked Vivek as the winner. I have heard a couple of interviews he has done, I kind of like him. Bottom line is none of these guys will win the nomination, many are running for VP slot. Barring a disaster, it will be 2020 rematch.

I didn't watch debate but saw a clip from CNN, Iowa voters in the group picked Vivek as the winner. I have heard a couple of interviews he has done, I kind of like him. Bottom line is none of these guys will win the nomination, many are running for VP slot. Barring a disaster, it will be 2020 rematch.
Vivek is basically what Trump was in the 2016 primary season, but he has to compete against Trump so a different situation. But for anyone who likes Trump, but may be worried about the legal stuff, Vivek is the clear alternative. I doubt he can beat Trump, but he does remind me a lot of Trump in 2015/16. His personality is different, but he is basically a smiling face on the maga movement.

Desantis just seems out of his league. He avoided answering several questions, and Watch how he has to look around before deciding to put his hand up. He doesn't appear to have any confidence in his views and it makes him look lost and awkward. I think the next debate might be it for him. He throws red meat to the base, but he isn't quick on his feet and was definitely outshined by Vivek and Haley.

Last edited:
My takeaways:

I agree.
The guy talks about 'the climate change hoax' with a straight face while Phoenix is experiencing record temps, Maui burns from wild fires caused by a historic drought, and Southern Cal experienced its first hurricane in 100 years.
I was shocked that Pence did as well as he did last night. But he has ZERO chance. Besides, he's a pompous, unlikeable blowhard.
I thought Haley was the best
She was the adult in the room.

At the end of the day, Trump had more viewers on Tucker at the same time, so he won the debate without showing up. Some of these guys/gals are running for VP, or just getting good practice time in.

Now if Trump has a major stroke maybe they have a shot, but more likely he then would get more Democratic voters and win Whitehouse in a landslide.

At the end of the day, Trump had more viewers on Tucker at the same time, so he won the debate without showing up. Some of these guys/gals are running for VP, or just getting good practice time in.

Now if Trump has a major stroke maybe they have a shot, but more likely he then would get more Democratic voters and win Whitehouse in a landslide.
Remind us all again how you're not a Trump fan anymore.

Mostly predictable talking points and nowhere near the fireworks I expected. I thought Haley was the best, desantis held his own but didn't really standout. Christie had his moments but was expecting him to go after desantis harder. And Vivek was the one most attacked and the one with the loudest cheers. I think he comes across as super arrogant and phony, but appears to be resonating with some people and he is super maga for sure.

Any thoughts?
I thought it was a clown car. What were the debated topics...omg. Such a fkn joke...all of them.

Reactions: DaShuckster
Remind us all again how you're not a Trump fan anymore.
I am just stating the facts. None of these men/women have a chance at becoming prez in 2024. I personally would like 3 of them over Trump, but it isn't going to happen. Some now are running for VP spot, some for ego/name recognition/attention. and maybe couple might be delusional. Same is true on dem side, Barring Biden totally coming unglued to the point his handlers can't cover it up. Biden will be the nominee. Next Nov one of them will win the office again, and USA is the big loser.

I was never a Trump fan, just not a Trump hater.

I am just stating the facts. None of these men/women have a chance at becoming prez in 2024. I personally would like 3 of them over Trump, but it isn't going to happen.
I will give you some credit: at least you're not hiding from the reality of Trump like some of the gung-ho Trumpsters who used to post on this board.

But the fact that Trump is the clear-cut leader for the nomination is mind-boggling to me. If you want to whine about Biden, be my guest. But that doesn't explain how one of our two parties in a two-party system is supporting a man charged with countless felonies. On what planet is this acceptable? Are you going to tell us ALL the charges are politically motivated? You're going to tell me I didn't hear Trump on the phone pressuring Georgia's SOS to 'find him' enough votes to overturn Biden's win in the State?
Next Nov one of them will win the office again, and USA is the big loser. I was never a Trump fan, just not a Trump hater.
If you support a conservative agenda, how could you NOT hate Trump??!? He and his minions have skuttled the conservative movement for crazy stunts for fund-raising purposes.

Liz Cheney is considered a pariah in her own party now. But she and "other RINOS" would bring American conservatism back from the dead. The Republican bullsh*t we're seeing today would have people like Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater spinning in their graves.

RINOS republican in name only, they are not conservatives. Cheney is a conservative but she is a Bush clan conservative, and they hate the Donald.

I don't want Trump to win the nomination, but bottom line is barring something happening he will.
I also don't want Briben to win the Dem nomination but barring some big issue he will.
So MAGA wins, and the Dem insiders win, and We all lose.

RINOS republican in name only, they are not conservatives. Cheney is a conservative but she is a Bush clan conservative, and they hate the Donald.

I don't want Trump to win the nomination, but bottom line is barring something happening he will.
I also don't want Briben to win the Dem nomination but barring some big issue he will.
So MAGA wins, and the Dem insiders win, and We all lose.

They gonna toss his ass in jail and slap the 14th Amendment on him.

Oh, so Bush-clan conservatives are not REAL conservatives? Tell me, why do you think "those RINOs" hate Donald and his MAGA movement crowd?
  • Is it because they no longer give a crap about a strong defense?
  • Is it because they've replaced their traditional pro-business stance with dumbass right-wing ideology?
  • Is it that Trump is destabilizing the very cornerstones of our democracy?
  • Is it because fund-raising off our broken immigration system is more important to our Republican Congress people than sitting down with Democrats and actually fixing it?
  • Is it that personal freedom is only important for some people but not others?
  • Is it because the national debt is only important when a Democrat is in the White House?

They gonna toss his ass in jail and slap the 14th Amendment on him.
Before they can do 14th needs to be charged with insurrection and likely convicted. Neither of those things have happened as of today.

tossed in jail is a different story.

Before they can do 14th needs to be charged with insurrection and likely convicted. Neither of those things have happened as of today.

tossed in jail is a different story.
Yeah, no shit. We have like 14 months before the election...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT