ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans to scrap primaries and caucuses as Trump challengers cry foul.

I think this could be a risky move. He would be better off beating these guys in the primary than having them run as a 3rd party in the general.

I understand the rationale, and I can remember times when states have cancelled primaries so it's not unprecedented but this is a bad look for the party. Guaranteed, the media will run with this and paint him as a dictator.

How can anyone support the gop anymore? After this and Moscow Mitch saying he would confirm a supreme Court nominee this year. Just the party of hypocrites

Reactions: bluechip12
It just really comes off as undemocratic. Trump will be the nominee, no doubt. But let’s get real about what’s happening here, they’re trying to protect him from criticism that is bubbling under the surface in some conservative circles that may hurt him in the general election.

It’s one thing for TDS triggered Dems to call him corrupt, crazy, and unfit for office. He can brush that back. It may hurt more when republicans do it in debates and running against him.

It just really comes off as undemocratic. Trump will be the nominee, no doubt. But let’s get real about what’s happening here, they’re trying to protect him from criticism that is bubbling under the surface in some conservative circles that may hurt him in the general election.

It’s one thing for TDS triggered Dems to call him corrupt, crazy, and unfit for office. He can brush that back. It may hurt more when republicans do it in debates and running against him.

Did you even read the article? This has been done many times but these same states on both sides of the aisle. It’s nothing remotely new.

You’re all just selectively getting outraged here because it’s being done when Trump is President

Oh and laugh out fukin loud at the idea that Joe Walsh is going to be a viable centrist candidate to challenge Trump. He’s the guy who said that if Trump loses he’s “grabbing his musket”. And Bill Weld was the boring wet sock that ran as a Libertarian behind Gary Johnson, his fellow boring wet sock

Did you even read the article? This has been done many times but these same states on both sides of the aisle. It’s nothing remotely new.

You’re all just selectively getting outraged here because it’s being done when Trump is President

Oh and laugh out fukin loud at the idea that Joe Walsh is going to be a viable centrist candidate to challenge Trump. He’s the guy who said that if Trump loses he’s “grabbing his musket”. And Bill Weld was the boring wet sock that ran as a Libertarian behind Gary Johnson, his fellow boring wet sock

Yeah I read the article. And yes, it’s not new but if I could have voted then I would say it’s undemocratic for either party. He can just decline the debates. And I believe I said Trump will win. He will, easily.

But that doesn’t change that the Trump campaign is lobbying to cancel these primaries to protect him from conservatives that don’t like him.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Yeah I read the article. And yes, it’s not new but if I could have voted then I would say it’s undemocratic for either party. He can just decline the debates. And I believe I said Trump will win. He will, easily.

But that doesn’t change that the Trump campaign is lobbying to cancel these primaries to protect him from conservatives that don’t like him.

Ok. The HRC campaign outright rigged the 2016 election

Reactions: UCFWayne
Perhaps but at least they ran the primaries lol.
That said, Trump campaign approval or not its only four states that are doing this.
But some states didn’t run Dem primaries in 2012 when Obama was incumbent nor did they run in 1996 when Clinton was incumbent. Some of the same states as well. There is perfect precedence for this.

But some states didn’t run Dem primaries in 2012 when Obama was incumbent nor did they run in 1996 when Clinton was incumbent. Some of the same states as well. There is perfect precedence for this.
Humor and the fact that i have acknowledged this went way over your head.

Always fun having to dumb down your jokes so the MAGAts can understand them. Major downside to the comedy factor of this board.
I acknowledged the Hillary/DNC corruption with at least they went along with the primaries despite it being rigged.
I acknowledged that perhaps Hillary is appointed. Not good enough for white supremacy supporters like them.

I acknowledged the Hillary/DNC corruption with at least they went along with the primaries despite it being rigged.
I acknowledged that perhaps Hillary is appointed. Not good enough for white supremacy supporters like them.
That wasn’t my point. I’m going to spell it out for you.

My point is that it’s not uncommon for states to cancel primaries when there’s an incumbent running for their second term. That has nothing to do with Hillary or corruption. Your acknowledgement of possible corruption in the DNC 2016 primary appeared to serve the purpose of strengthening your claim that it is wrong for states to cancel primaries and that Trump is therefore benefitting from corruption. I posted mine just In case you were unaware that this happened before in situations where there was no allegation of corruption and in the exact same situation Trump is in. I’m guessing that you don’t have a problem with states cancelling the primaries for Obama and Clinton. By those precedents, there shouldn’t be a problem with them doing it for Trump either.

There's some truth here. Primaries often damage a candidate as much as they help them. On the flip side, there weren't going to be any republican debates anyway so exposure would be extremely limited to the population.

Reactions: ucfversusbcs
There's some truth here. Primaries often damage a candidate as much as they help them. On the flip side, there weren't going to be any republican debates anyway so exposure would be extremely limited to the population.
Probably a big mistake for Trump because he could direct the RNC to bring in crowds so he can rekindle his connection with those that may have regretted voting for him.

My original comment is above. Point out where I'm outraged.
I didn’t say you were outraged. You said at least they ran the primaries for Hillary. This implying that the Republicans are doing less or worse than the Dems did by not running the primaries. Whatever, you said you didn’t mean it that way so not going to keep on about it. It’s game day. Go Knights!

I didn’t say you were outraged. You said at least they ran the primaries for Hillary. This implying that the Republicans are doing less or worse than the Dems did by not running the primaries. Whatever, you said you didn’t mean it that way so not going to keep on about it. It’s game day. Go Knights!
Yes I set up a straw man in this case to convey while I'm not joining your side I am ironically conceding your points. Go Knights!

The party founded to improve ballot access over Jefferson's Democrat-Republicans is literally unraveling itself.

This is nothing new, it happens all the time. There were primaries canceled under Bill Clinton, Obama in 2012, HW and W Bush. And more than the 3 talked about as of today.

This is nothing new, it happens all the time. There were primaries canceled under Bill Clinton, Obama in 2012, HW and W Bush. And more than the 3 talked about as of today.
And I still don't like it.

And I especially don't like it without an incumbent, like with Paul and Sanders.

They all have TDS. Remember there is only one rule....... Trump rules.

Evolution of Red Hat Thought:

Democrat Primaries 2016: It isn’t FAIR!!! They aren’t giving Bernie a chance!

GOP Primaries 2020: There’s only one rule....Trump Rules!

Reactions: firm_bizzle

Don't say that nobody told your the rules. #trumprules #maga

what are those challengers polling numbers against trump? i doubt they are even remotely significant. if they had significant numbers i would be for a gop primary. but i doubt they even come close to 5 % let alone 10%.

what are those challengers polling numbers against trump? i doubt they are even remotely significant. if they had significant numbers i would be for a gop primary. but i doubt they even come close to 5 % let alone 10%.
When Bernie first declared his candidacy, his numbers were single-digit too. Along with Jimmy Carter, he's a prime example of why primaries matter.

But after skewering Hillary for her 'unfair' treatment of Bernie in 2016, your change-of-heart regarding the 2020 GOP primaries is no surprise.

Just out of curiosity, are any of the people who are upset about these cancelled primaries actual swing voters? Would any of you consider voting for Bill Weld or Joe Walsh in the general?

Just out of curiosity, are any of the people who are upset about these cancelled primaries actual swing voters? Would any of you consider voting for Bill Weld or Joe Walsh in the general?

No. The party is 95% behind Trump. [banana]

When Bernie first declared his candidacy, his numbers were single-digit too. Along with Jimmy Carter, he's a prime example of why primaries matter.

But after skewering Hillary for her 'unfair' treatment of Bernie in 2016, your change-of-heart regarding the 2020 GOP primaries is no surprise.
if any of them were polling around 5% i would 100% be behind them doing a primary. i dont know what those 3 candidates are polling around. do you have their numbers?

ADVERTISEMENT