ADVERTISEMENT

***Ricky Barber: Defense continues to be 'hungry'***

Brandon

Publisher
Staff
May 28, 2001
Winter Park, FL
www.ucfsports.com

UCF defensive tackle Ricky Barber Jr. is back to making an impact.

After suffering an injury against Louisville and missing the next few games, Barber was back to resembling his old self against Memphis and Temple, picking up his first sack of the season against the Owls.

"I feel like I'm almost back to 100 percent," Barber said earlier this week. "I'm playing and doing everything I can to help my team."

Injuries have plagued UCF this season, including on the defensive line. While Barber was out recuperating, his fellow d-tackle starter Kalia Davis suffered a season-ending ACL injury against ECU. Despite not being full strength, the defensive line is coming off three solid performances in which they've limited the run.

"Guys have stepped up like Keenan Hester, Cam (Goode) and (Anthony) Montalvo," Barber said. "They've been performing and making plays."

Prior to his injury, Barber said he was learning a lot from Kalia Davis.

"KD plays with this relentlessness," Barber said. "He refuses to be blocked. I try to incorporate that in my game."

What's his favorite d-line move?

"My favorite move is the cross chop," Barber said.

He later demonstrated the move around the 2-minute mark of the video.

UCF gave up a late garbage-time touchdown to Temple, but nearly completed six straight quarters without giving up a score.

"I feel like that goes back to coaching," Barber said. "Coach T-Will says do your job. You have one assignment. Everybody has been locked in on what to do."

What's been the message from T-Will?

"We're still hungry. We have more to do. We're not just hungry, we're greedy. We have to understand we've been playing good, but we haven't arrived yet."

Barber said the d-line is a close-knit group.

"We're all super close," he said. "We learn from each other. We're with each other every day. We're all cool."

The same can be said for the entire team.

"We mesh really well. It's a really close team. It's a player-led team. We're all close."

What has he learned from Big Kat Bryant?

"Kind of like how a pro is supposed to carry themselves," Barber said. "He's my roommate too, so being able to see him off the field, its like how a pro is suppseod to carry himself."

Tulane is 1-7, but has played well in losses including going toe to toe with top 10 teams Oklahoma and Cincinnati.

"They have a really explosive offense and a really good offensive line," Barber said. "It's about getting after them early."

After beating Temple, UCF's players were surprised with celebratory cheesesteaks on the way to the airport. How were they?

"They were good. I actually brought two home."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.