ADVERTISEMENT

RIP AAF

The problem with these leagues is that they try too much too fast. My guess is that most of these players would have played for 50% of the salary they were getting paid. They were paid on average $83,000 a season. They should have done it the way the MLS did at first, on the cheap. XFL is going to have the same issue. Think of it as AAA baseball where minimum is about $2,500 a month. These guys are either playing for a shot at the NFL or just for fun so the $$ was too much

Say what you will about the Arena League, but they have been able to keep on truckin' for over 30 years - albeit it doesn't look pretty a lot.

And the Preds are coming back and will (possibly/maybe) be re-joining the AFL in 2020 after the NAL (possibly/maybe) goes belly up after this year.

Man, you shouldn’t start a season if you don’t even have the funds to complete it. They had to know of these issues long ago. Well, players got to play the game they love and some will still get looks based on it. Next man up is the XFL. Maybe they can get it right this time. I liked it but they gave the teams no time to practice before the season began, and the on-field product suffered. The games did get better as the season went on. With the AAF failing the talent pool will be greater. I guess we’ll just see what happens.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I had a bad feeling when vulture capitalist Tom Dundon got "involved":

I have been told that it is something that goes on in Silicon Valley a lot - someone "invests" money into a startup, copies/steals/gets educated on, etc... et all their tech and then folds up said start up and re-uses it for themselves and makes hundreds of millions in the progress.

Wouldn't surprise me if his intent was to steal the tech that the league pioneered this year. Guy is a major POS. Known snake in the grass

I have been told that it is something that goes on in Silicon Valley a lot - someone "invests" money into a startup, copies/steals/gets educated on, etc... et all their tech and then folds up said start up and re-uses it for themselves and makes hundreds of millions in the progress.

Wouldn't surprise me if his intent was to steal the tech that the league pioneered this year. Guy is a major POS. Known snake in the grass
But he bought the league with his investment. Anyone could have bought it

Reactions: UCFhonors
One a-hole investor, that's all it took.

Oh wait, that was the USFL as well... Although it didn't happen in a week. Isn't he President now or something? ;)

Reactions: The Nation of UCF
If Lincoln NGEbraska had a franchise (or even Omaha) this would have never happened

They pay $100 for a spring game and get 80,000 fans for a 4-8 team

If the AAF had a franchise there, they would be a threat to the NFL

USFL would have gone belly up within 3-5 years anyway. League was built on fast expansion dollars and when those dried up, so would have the league. There is a romanticism about the USFL but aside from 3 or 4 teams, most teams left a trail of unpaid bills and attendance that was in the four digits.

Reactions: Ucfmikes

What tech was in the AAF?

What tech was in the AAF?
That had a real time revolutionary app that gave you advance analytics and allowed you to guess which play would be next. Could have gambling implications if it were to be used by sports leagues.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?

Catch and kill.

I’m suicidal over this. I’m presently looking for the highest mountain in Orlando to jump off of.

It’s called the AAF [poop]
You weren't even a real fan. I've been with the Apollos since December.

I guess this is the end of Johnny Manziel

I kind of liked watching Steve Spurrier coach again and talk on the radio. Will miss that
I don’t care for him at all but I am curious what will happen to him and any others that were recently injured in the league now. Hope they have some sort of health coverage that isn’t affected by the halt.

I read all players signed for $250,000, and at the end, no one gets a damn thing: pay for previous game- gone, insurance is gone, their residence (hotel rooms) are gone, get out- live in your car, and UCF is owed rent $$$$ it will never get. Chris Martin is grateful the offer he and his wife made for an Orlando home was rejected.

Oh, by the way apparently Aaron Evans has been getting calls from NFL. From what I watched, it actually looked like McCray was doing better than him, but oh well. On the field Chris Martin was told he'd get his first start, then went into the locker room and was told it's dead.

I read all players signed for $250,000, and at the end, no one gets a damn thing: pay for previous game- gone, insurance is gone, their residence (hotel rooms) are gone, get out- live in your car, and UCF is owed rent $$$$ it will never get. Chris Martin is grateful the offer he and his wife made for an Orlando home was rejected.
He was going to buy a home based on a startup football league? Sounds like he needs to think ahead a bit more. First question they ask is how long have you been employed. Anything less than 3 years throws up red flags.

ADVERTISEMENT